British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest darkmast2

Starting Place

Guest darkmast2

I've got a selection of coins I found in my cupboard the other day that I used to collect a few years ago. I have quite a few British as well as other country coins but i'm mainly interested in the British coins at the moment.

Is there a website somwhere that I can visit to find out the information for these coins ? At the moment I have coin guide book I bought back in 2000 and I am going to get the new 2003 one but in the meantime I was hoping there was a website or some other resource I can use to get started. Ideally something that would help me identify the coin and give me an idea of their worth, of which i'm sure it won't be a small fortune but one can always dream :)

thnxs

Dear Darkmast,

Well you may find my advice hub and listings of coins for sale will help you on your quest:

http://www.predecimal.com/coinadvice.htm

http://www.predecimal.com/coinsforsale.htm

And this book is great value for only GBP6.50 inc postage!

http://www.predecimal.com/collectors_coins.htm

There are other sites out there that also have listings, none are of course as good as mine!

Chris Perkins

www.predecimal.com

Guest darkmast2

Thank you for your quick response. Those links are very interesting and helpful. Now all I have to do is try figure out which grade the coins fall into.

P.S. What do you use to get the pictures of the coins ?

Yes grading is the most difficult thing for beginners.

I use a flatbed scanner at 200 or 300dpi and perhaps adjust the brightness of the result when dark coins are involved.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest darkmast2

Hmm good idea that, I never thought of doing it that way as I didn't think it would come out right. I thought you might have used a digitial camera or something.

I'll give that a go and see how I get along with it. :)

With some coins it works better than others, and be prepared to fiddle a bit with the settings!

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Silver coins are by far the easiest (i find) to scan. Gold is not so easy. Copper, well it depends on the lustre (shine) of the coin, the dark toned dull ones are much harder to scan than the brighter ones (by no means should you clean them though!)

Sylvester.