British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

johncash

Coin To Sell

Hi, I have a few Roman coins for sale if anyone is interested send me an email.

Thanks. Steve

Welcome Steve. Photos would help people gauge what you have.

You can find info on how to add photos to a post here: http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/7880-posting-pics/

Edited by TomGoodheart

Hi, I have a few Roman coins for sale if anyone is interested send me an email.

Thanks. Steve

I might be interested Steve, but as Tom says, we need to see pictures first. If interested I would then send you a PM.

Not sure what file type you have used (.rar, which I've never come across?) , but I'm unable to open it. I don't collect Roman coins but was interested to take a look.

Not sure what file type you have used (.rar, which I've never come across?) , but I'm unable to open it. I don't collect Roman coins but was interested to take a look.

.rar is a file type rather like a .zip archive - it holds compressed versions of files which then have to be uncompressed. If you're using Windows, I thought that .rar files were recognised? On my Mac I long ago downloaded a free utility (UnrarX) which uncompresses them. Maybe there is a Windows version too?

.rar is a file type rather like a .zip archive - it holds compressed versions of files which then have to be uncompressed. If you're using Windows, I thought that .rar files were recognised? On my Mac I long ago downloaded a free utility (UnrarX) which uncompresses them. Maybe there is a Windows version too?

Would there be any chance of having these various file extensions on a sticky (in useful references) that people can add to together with a solution to opening the files? Someone sent me an image with a psd(?) extension a while back, but neither I nor the windows program on my computer recognised it, so the image had to be binned. It wasn't the first unopenable file received as Baldwins also format their files in some unintelligible way. Obviously the problem is proprietary software, but nobody is going to buy every available program just to view an image which may not appear. Something along the lines of Adobe reader which allows you to read only would be useful.

Edited by Rob

Would there be any chance of having these various file extensions on a sticky (in useful references) that people can add to together with a solution to opening the files? Someone sent me an image with a psd(?) extension a while back, but neither I nor the windows program on my computer recognised it, so the image had to be binned. It wasn't the first unopenable file received as Baldwins also format their files in some unintelligible way. Obviously the problem is proprietary software, but nobody is going to buy every available program just to view an image which may not appear. Something along the lines of Adobe reader which allows you to read only would be useful.

Actually .psd is fine for me as it's a Photoshop file.

Peck, I use a Mac, same as you. I'll need to download a utility then. Thanks.

Common file extensions:

.doc or .docx - Microsoft Word, but will open in other programs too

.pdf - generic pdf which will open in Adobe Reader & other programs

.jpg - generic jpeg image file

.png .tif .gif .bmp - other image files

.psd - Photoshop or Elements file

.zip - compressed files in an archive

.rar - similar, but needs special program to open and may carry a password

.txt - basic text file

.rtf - rich text file (like .txt but with retained formatting)

.mov - Quicktime movie

.avi - video file

.mp3 - music MP3

.aac .m4a .aif .wav - other audio types, some compressed, some not

.xls - Excel spreadsheet

.ppt - Powerpoint file

That's most of the commoner types, I think.

So what do you use to open png, tif, gif and bmp files? I can't remember what Baldwins used (png?).

So what do you use to open png, tif, gif and bmp files? I can't remember what Baldwins used (png?).

Those you mention are all image formats, so the Windows default picture viewer (or MS Paint) would cover most of those. If not, a free download such as Paint.NET will do the trick.

Those you mention are all image formats, so the Windows default picture viewer (or MS Paint) would cover most of those. If not, a free download such as Paint.NET will do the trick.

thanks

thanks

I can thoroughly recommend Paint.net :)

Firstly, what exactly does it do that Windows doesn't and is it easy to use? Is it compatible with all computers? Do you have to remove microsoft's paint program first or does it do it automatically to avoid having two programs with the same name? If it comes with full instructions, presumably this info will be written down?

I don't want to b****r up my computer and have to spend money getting it repaired if one of the kids isn't around. Better to retain a working system and not have it than wreck what I've got. Thanks.

We have 4 lap tops and a desk top.Trouble is mine is in the lounge and the lazy buggers use it like my ebay,amazon and even Tesco account.When £150 of cupcakes and booze turn up for my eldest girls evening.I mean NO BEER.

Firstly, what exactly does it do that Windows doesn't and is it easy to use? Is it compatible with all computers? Do you have to remove microsoft's paint program first or does it do it automatically to avoid having two programs with the same name? If it comes with full instructions, presumably this info will be written down?

I don't want to b****r up my computer and have to spend money getting it repaired if one of the kids isn't around. Better to retain a working system and not have it than wreck what I've got. Thanks.

I don't use Windows, but very many people who do use the free image software Picasa. I imagine that Picasa opens most image type files? And downloading it won't b*gger up your system.

In fact, the links are here:

1. The file types supported in Windows - https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/19496?hl=en

2. To download the software - http://picasa.google.co.uk/

I just tried to open the .rar with Picasa and it would not work.

RAR is a container format for compressed files, so it may contain files that Picasa would open, but you'd have to extract them first. Download a trial version of WinRAR (or something else suitable) to extract the files, then use Picasa to view/edit the files.

RAR is a container format for compressed files, so it may contain files that Picasa would open, but you'd have to extract them first. Download a trial version of WinRAR (or something else suitable) to extract the files, then use Picasa to view/edit the files.

Oh yes, WinRAR - I couldn't remember the Windows name for the Mac's UnRAR. But it will do exactly the same job.

nice coins you have more ppl will have to make web sites showing off there coins

Maybe your name puts me off...Treasure hunter?

Our window cleaner knew I liked coins so he brought me a few to ID.

He is a night hawker

He now has the books and researches the coins.

Sunday afternoons are booked up.At least he is putting a bloody good collection together.

It doesn't end up on ebay.

im not mate i worked on a farm years a go i no a lot of farmers iv even got 2 horses on a medieval site im aloud to go on on Monday just coz the hays been out bad weather i have a other 3 sites that i go on aloud on them all i work online a lot it gaves me loads of time to do my hobby thats why i find a lot and it helps the detecter i use lol