British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

geoffhobson

Help To Identify These Please

I have 4 farthings which I know are Irish, but that is as far as I am sure. There were sole as Charles 11 Richmond which they are not, I am having trouble with the other pics

Geoff

post-8207-0-68067100-1388569736_thumb.jp

That doesn't look Irish to me, Geoff! The legend on the obverse generally starts at 7 O'Clock, and is on an oval flan, have the got the obverse image? I'll put my Irish farthing up a bit later!

I tried to upload the other side I will try againpost-8207-0-21239300-1388576681_thumb.jp

this is the second

post-8207-0-80606400-1388576842_thumb.jp

Ok, thanks

this is the second

pretty certain that's a Lennox 4! If you agree that's IACO starting at 1 O'Clock? Edited by Coinery

Well they were described as Richmond when I bought them.

Well they were described as Richmond when I bought them.

They were half right then! :)

1 Charles I and 1 James I ...'English' Farthings!

Ok, thanks, they did not cost much, so I am happy.

I have two more which are similar. How ould you describe grade?

:unsure:

Avoid

bad as that, well at 2 quid for four. I did not mind.

You can pick them up quite cheaply in decent condition. It's very rare that examples sell for over £100 (Tim Everson's collection being the exception where the combination of the person who wrote the book coupled with some decent provenances pushed a few pieces very high), with VF to gVF examples appearing for tens of pounds. Like Peter, I would subscribe to the idea that although £2 for 4 is only the cost of a pint, for the cost of a round you could get something that you would want to keep long term.

Well, I thought they were ok for the price. It is not really my collecting area of interest and I don't know much about them.

I might move them on as they do not fit into any part of my collection.

Well you have a couple of £'s worth of knowledge. :)

These come out of the Thames mud in a nice condition....sometimes

;)

That doesn't look Irish to me, Geoff! The legend on the obverse generally starts at 7 O'Clock, and is on an oval flan, have the got the obverse image? I'll put my Irish farthing up a bit later!

Better late than never, Geoff! The images are through very poor-quality coin flips, the windows are speckled and slightly opaque which, unfortunately, the camera focused upon instead of the coin. There are a couple of verd spots on the edge which needs dealing with, otherwise a GVF for me.

Any opinions from the hammered or farthing gents? The fields are excellent on this one, I should take it out and photograph it properly really!

You get the idea though!

IrishFarthing30_zps45098190.jpgIrishFarthing30_zps19ba354d.jpg

Edited by Coinery