British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

geoffhobson

Collecting Software

I am currently using Coinmanage, I find it quite good although it took me some time to get used to it.

I find the search option to be poor, and the totals very difficult to get all, rather than each set of coins. That would be the most useful for me.

I see that this has not been discussed for a while, but just thought I might comment

Coinmanage customer service stinks. It is easy to use, but they are missing some coins in their library.

I find it quite easy to use, but I had to add all my coins. I find that a bit tricky at times, with some going to the wrong set, but that may just be me.

It is not perfect, but it is the better of the the ones I tried.

Geoff.

We need a "Sticky" Q&A for this forum, as this question gets asked fairly frequently.

Just to summarise: most members here use a general software such as Excel spreadsheet, Access or FileMaker Pro databases. The advantage being that after you've done the initial work setting it up, it is infinitely customisable to suit your own collection and interests, which an 'off the peg' software solution just can't hack.

Just ask members here what they've used, or browse the (many) previous topics on the subject.

I don't like Access and I can't use Excel. I have tried for years and it is impossible. It is also expensive.

In my opinion, have an Access, Excel spreadsheet/database back-end or 'office' system for all your detailed records but host your pictorial collection on-line (much cheaper than you might imagine). That way, whenever you attend an auction, sale, coin club, flea-market etc. or just need to take a quick look at one of your coins on an smartphone, iPad or pc, you can! It's also great for linking photos into forum threads (right click on the coin, paste into the thread).

I don't like Access and I can't use Excel. I have tried for years and it is impossible. It is also expensive.

If you can conquer your distaste for them, you might bless yourself in the long run. There isn't a perfect collector solution out there, and sooner or later you will run up against the limitations of your chosen software and start cursing.

Just to give you one example : I've always used FileMaker Pro, and when I developed a keen interest in the history of coin values since the 1960s, I was able to design a couple of layouts that show the values (from Seaby/Spink) of my collection in 1966, 1969, 1976, 1980, 1985, 1997/8, and several years from 2000 onwards.

I just find Excel so difficult. I am self taught and have been using a PC for over 20 years, and I have tried Excel over and over, but can't get it.

I can use a sheet if it is made up, but otherwise no.

The main problem with Coinmanage is it is not British, it is American. The database is only for English coins. Nothing else, so I had to add my Manx Irish and Scottish to it. Then I upgraded to the 2013 version and lost the lot so I had to do it all again. Luckily I always keep paper records so I did not lose the records.

If there was a database that was better then I would try it, but for now I will stick to this,

Geoff.

I just find Excel so difficult. I am self taught and have been using a PC for over 20 years, and I have tried Excel over and over, but can't get it.

The main problem with Coinmanage is it is not British, it is American. The database is only for English coins. Nothing else, so I had to add my Manx Irish and Scottish to it. Then I upgraded to the 2013 version and lost the lot so I had to do it all again. Luckily I always keep paper records so I did not lose the records.

If there was a database that was better then I would try it, but for now I will stick to this,

Geoff.

If you do change your mind and bite the bullet, this is the kind of thing you can achieve using a database manager (a sample of 4 out of many different layouts I've created over the years) :

post-4737-0-09478300-1389621060_thumb.jp

Obviously only I understand what all the data means and how it's used, but that's the whole point - I'm in full control, not some software designer I've never met.

Yes well done Peck. That's about all you need.

I will probably spend a few hours doing something in Access sometime too for the fun of it.

Apart from the main coin table I imagine the child tables (where you hold repeating bits of information for each coin) would be a picture table (each coin will have multiple pics), a provenance table (each coin can have more than one previous owner), a price table (each coin will have multiple values as the years roll by), and a cleaning table (each coin can be cleaned multiple times :) ha ha joke).

How long did it take you to knock that together Peck ?

cheers

Garrett.

I so look forward to saving all my findings in that way, I have already lost substantial and personally important coin data from lack of time and organisation...I bow down, Peck! :)

I have been meaning to update for the last few years my in box of coins gets fuller and the ink to spreadsheets ditto.

Yes well done Peck. That's about all you need.

I will probably spend a few hours doing something in Access sometime too for the fun of it.

Apart from the main coin table I imagine the child tables (where you hold repeating bits of information for each coin) would be a picture table (each coin will have multiple pics), a provenance table (each coin can have more than one previous owner), a price table (each coin will have multiple values as the years roll by), and a cleaning table (each coin can be cleaned multiple times :) ha ha joke).

How long did it take you to knock that together Peck ?

cheers

Garrett.

Yes, the 'child tables' are mainly for holding coin values over the years. As for pictures, I hold them in a separate table, linked to that main one via a unique ID, and that keeps the size of my main database quite small (the pictures table doesn't even need to be opened - the relational link 'just works'). As for how long? OMG, the number of man hours! You should see my early database from the mid-90s, it looks so crude compared to the present incarnation. Having said that, I haven't refined it for quite some years, only adding new coins, or updating values.

I so look forward to saving all my findings in that way, I have already lost substantial and personally important coin data from lack of time and organisation...I bow down, Peck! :)

Geoff.

Another word on the easy solution that may not be the best solution. Coinmanage is Canadian not American, and it does have British coins. The problem with Coinmanage is that their British listings are not complete. For example some of the sovereigns that have both a shield back and St. George reverse for a given year only has one reverse type to choose from for a that year. This is a very small number of years, however - most have the option for either shield back or St. George. Coinmanage allows you to print a record including the information it pulls that you have entered along with either a photograph of your coin or a standard image that is contained in the database. I'm personally using Coinmanage because I wanted to save time and effort. Trade-offs

Geoff.

Another word on the easy solution that may not be the best solution. Coinmanage is Canadian not American, and it does have British coins. The problem with Coinmanage is that their British listings are not complete. For example some of the sovereigns that have both a shield back and St. George reverse for a given year only has one reverse type to choose from for a that year. This is a very small number of years, however - most have the option for either shield back or St. George. Coinmanage allows you to print a record including the information it pulls that you have entered along with either a photograph of your coin or a standard image that is contained in the database. I'm personally using Coinmanage because I wanted to save time and effort. Trade-offs

Just for the record...Canadians are Americans also...just like the people from the United States...North Americans! Ha,Ha!

Yes, ok, but I bet the Canadians would say they are not American.

No, the problem I have is that the lisings are only English. I collect Isle of Man Irish and Scottish. I can add them, but it does take time.

I don't find it particulary user friendly as they say, some of the reports are not so easy to do and I would like to do them differently, but generally it is ok.

I have looked at a couple of others byt this was the best.

Geoff.

The Scots are always happy to say they are UK citizens! ;)

I'm sure Dave will jump on that one with both feet! Ha,Ha! :o

Yes, ok, but I bet the Canadians would say they are not American.

No, the problem I have is that the lisings are only English. I collect Isle of Man Irish and Scottish. I can add them, but it does take time.

I don't find it particulary user friendly as they say, some of the reports are not so easy to do and I would like to do them differently, but generally it is ok.

I have looked at a couple of others byt this was the best.

Geoff.

This is where your own bespoke solution is a MUST. Whether it's the hated Excel or a simple / more complex database manager, it's the only way you're going to get things how you really want them to be, AND be able to expand in the future.

Well,

you notice when an English winner is just that but when it is a Scot then he is British?

I have tried to use Excell, but I just can't get the hang of it.

I will stick to what I have for now.

What's wrong with Excel? I've always found it very simple to use.

Nothing. It's the best piece of software I own.

Well,

you notice when an English winner is just that but when it is a Scot then he is British?

I have tried to use Excell, but I just can't get the hang of it.

I will stick to what I have for now.

Anyone for tennis? ;)

The Scots are always happy to say they are UK citizens! ;)

I'm sure Dave will jump on that one with both feet! Ha,Ha! :o

I'm waiting for it! :D

Murry is so boring he couldn't be English. :)