British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

hi all,

I'll start off by wishing you all a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

yesterday (Christmas day) my wife wanted some cranberry sauce to go with her dinner. so on the way to visit my parents i stopped off at the local shop. when she got back in the car she said look at this (showing me the 50p). i said bloody hell that could be our Christmas present (as we spent all our money on the kids). I'm sure the shop just wanted to palm this 50p on the first people they could because they must have thought that it was not even worth the 50p stamped onto it. I have tried to place another 2013 50p into the cuts and it fits perfectly. Anyway that's enough waffling I'll just show you the pictures.

any comments would be grateful as i don't have a clue about error coins.

post-8206-0-16393400-1388080000_thumb.jp

Well, possibly/probably not dodgy. This looks to be a flans clip issue - the basic blank was punched out of a strip too close to the "edge" and was subsequently struck with proper dies.

When the blanks were punched out of the sheet metal, the cutter either didn't move far enough or else the sheet wasn't transported far enough for the next position, leading to only a partial blank being produced. Collectable, but only worth a few pounds at most because of the number of this type of error in existence.

Given the two 50p shaped indents, it is not likely to be off the edge of the sheet as this usually gives a straight edge.

Edited by Rob

I cannot think it would be ever worth faking a fifty pence coin now - even the £1 coin is hardly worth faking these days

I picked up what could possibly be a 2000 50p fake the other day? As soon as I get the camera out, I'll get the images up for thoughts! If it is, it's for whoever it was on here that I said I'd keep any modern fakes back for, it's the reason I didn't spend it on a pint! :)

I cannot think it would be ever worth faking a fifty pence coin now - even the £1 coin is hardly worth faking these days

Oh, believe me - it is! There are a massive number of fake £1 coins in circulation, and a gang producing them was busted only last year. They are fairly easy to spot when new though, and some are when worn too as they have the wrong reverse for the year on the other side.

Yes i know there are many fake £1 coins in circulation now .

I have heard large quantities go for 40p each in dodgy places round here.

Pity the post office are not a bit more vigilent taking the darn things out of circulation - probably because it just loses them money i surpose

Yes i know there are many fake £1 coins in circulation now .

I have heard large quantities go for 40p each in dodgy places round here.

Pity the post office are not a bit more vigilent taking the darn things out of circulation - probably because it just loses them money i surpose

They were openly on sale in the East End in the early 90's

I cant see how two clippings occurred simultaneously. They have the wrong positional relationship to each other.

I reckon they could knock one up quite easily down the boatyard, I wouldn't buy one!

I cant see how two clippings occurred simultaneously. They have the wrong positional relationship to each other.

Agreed, but do we know how they punch out blanks? If it is a single punch with the sheet moving, then a faulty movement could produce the above. If a row of blanks are punched out then it isn't so easy to reconcile. Without knowing what the adjacent blanks look like, we can only guess.