British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Accumulator

1904 Penny Varieties

I know this has been discussed before but, as far as I can tell from searching, never had it's own 'unlisted varieties' thread. Strictly it's not unlisted as David includes some details in his excellent book, though only two very small photos. I've been going through quite a few 1904 pennies and there appears to be a very definite rotation of the last '4' in 1904. Here's a selection of what I've found:

1904dates.jpg

Without diving into the books, are all 4 of these different? They look it!

We've had an unlisted variety sticky before....this is why CCGB is on the ball.

Now 1,2 & 3 are between dots and 4 is to dot.

The jury is out at Peter mansions.

Can't say these float my boat, UNLESS there are other differences too? I suspect though, it's just the punching of the final digit. I remember in the late 60s in Coin Monthly when Ron Stafford - or one of his ilk - tried to sell us on a plethora of 1907 varieties, all concerning the length and pointing of the 7. "Where are they now"?

We've had an unlisted variety sticky before....this is why CCGB is on the ball.

Now 1,2 & 3 are between dots and 4 is to dot.

The jury is out at Peter mansions.

Can't say these float my boat, UNLESS there are other differences too? I suspect though, it's just the punching of the final digit. I remember in the late 60s in Coin Monthly when Ron Stafford - or one of his ilk - tried to sell us on a plethora of 1907 varieties, all concerning the length and pointing of the 7. "Where are they now"?

I do generally agree with you. Apart from the 'normal' (top in my photo) variety, I might just include a 'last 4 points to tooth' in the collection, though, as it's so different. I know several others have indicated the same in previous postings.

Interesting about the 60s Coin Monthly info. I have a few ED VII pennies collected during that period with notes like 'short nines', 'plume flaw', 'closed 9', 'plume joined to back of helmet', 'large plume flaw' etc. I can barely (and it could even be my imagination) make out any difference between them. Someone has spent an awful lot of time with a loupe and, very possibly, a Coin Monthly article to come up with these minuscule differences!

Edited by Accumulator

The last one is definately quite distinct compared to the other 3

I just looked thru 10 1904 Pennies, and didn't find any with the 4 over the tooth! I would assume it is the most difficult to find.

I just looked thru 10 1904 Pennies, and didn't find any with the 4 over the tooth! I would assume it is the most difficult to find.

Yes Bob, they're unbelievably difficult to find and worth $15,995! Or the narrow date 1877 on your website, of course :D

Yes Bob, they're unbelievably difficult to find and worth $15,995! Or the narrow date 1877 on your website, of course :D

WOW!!!!!!! I have got to start paying more attention. It looks like David is going to have a additional 1904 for his book's next printing! Does anyone you know actually have one of these?

WOW!!!!!!! I have got to start paying more attention. It looks like David is going to have a additional 1904 for his book's next printing! Does anyone you know actually have one of these?

I thought the $15,995 remark was simply jocularity ... it's serious?? Or perhaps you missed some British-type irony .. :D

They are out there, I had a ropy one for a while until I sold it on ebay after getting a much better example. It didn't cause much interest.