British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtymole

£2 Coin 1999 Misprint

Hi All,

I found this today and wondered if anyone had seen them before. The date on the edge of the coin reads 999 instead of 1999.

post-8203-0-45199800-1387771034_thumb.jppost-8203-0-19516900-1387771035_thumb.jp

Thanks in advance for any info

I can see the 1, not as distinct as the 9s, but its there. Coins are minted and not printed, banknotes are printed

I haven't noticed this one before but other varients of die problems to the edges.

A keepsake rather than a money maker I would say.

It would have been caused by a slightly clogged die with perhaps grease. Then when the coin was struck it the detail for the 1 in the date would not be as sharp. I agree with Peter, it's neat but won't add any valuw to it.

If you are interested in error coins take a look at this page for some pictures and explanations on major error types:

http://www.coinsgb.com/Error_Coins/Error_coins.html