British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Just A Thought For Newcomers!

I obviously have my own areas of loyal interest, but just thought of an idea for myself and, of course, others who struggle with the big question 'where to start' with collecting!

One of the issues I've noted with newcomer questions, time and time again, is that of what to collect? 'Do I collect bronze, copper, silver, pennies, crowns, etc.?' Well, I've an idea, founded upon the other great collection struggle, that of having a decent collection quickly, which I'm sure is part of the reason we all end up with a useless pile of bullion once we settle into quality collecting!

OK, so here's my strategy, and recommendation for those who are unsure where to start! Collect denomination year sets, and learn all about Bronze, Copper, Silver, CuNi, Gold even, and discover varieties, errors, so on, etc, etc,!

As an example, I thought I'd snaffle an easy 1901 set off eBay, which started with a very cheap UNC penny, followed by a bargain 6D! The HC, HP, Farthing, and shilling, happened over a couple of months, with maybe a little bit of reselling to get these right! However, I now concede that I have watched quite some time for a 'right-priced' florin and the gold, and happily accept I will have to visit auctions or dealers to acquire these in top grades which, incidentally, is also part of the fun!

Now, I presently don't have the resources to pursue the rest of my 1901 set, but I do have a small amount with which to watch eBay and snaffle the occasional pretty thing 321275869721 and start the whole process over again! So over the next few months I'll be keeping an eye on 1886, looking for a steal, and will inevitably stumble upon the denominations of that year that I'll have to seek out again at the dealers, fairs, or auctions!

It keeps the fires burning, and keeps the grey matter and reading going forth! It excites me to snaffle some cheap things and begin another set of something, whilst I can't afford the harder pieces!

Key point is, it's a manageable way of finding out what you like, and encourages visits to all the main collection resources! For me personally I quite like it all...so a copper, big silver, little silver, and piece of gold offends me not in the least! Happy daze! :)

• Like 2

It's even easier if you're not a gold collector (I'm not). FWIW, there are years much easier than others for beginners to collect non-gold sets for, namely :

1967 (but no shillings) or 1966

1926 Modified, silver

1893 (silver)

1887 Jubilee Head silver, plus 1887 bronze

Before then, you're better off looking for easy years for particular denominations rather than trying to put a complete set together.

My suggestions to beginners are to visit the museums and admire their coin collections. One can really be inspired by seeing the best. The Bank of England museum has sets of coins for different monarchs going back 300 years or so. Highlights include a 1935 gold crown.

Once you are ready (i.e. knows how to handle and store coins properly and has some knowledge of grading), then go for coins with designs you like rather than just a specific denomination.

You can add 1953 to that list.

Oh yes - of course! In fact, a plastic set plus a crown could be got for between £15 - £20 the lot. :)

You can add 1953 to that list.

I can't resist the nice plastic sets of these (I have a few now :) )

Also the proof sets of this year are easy.

The best advice to a prospective collector is buy something you like and enjoy.Does not matter what - as long as you enjoy the coins, THAT'S WHAT MATTERS

Those coins will be living with you for maybe half a lifetime or even longer

The best advice to a prospective collector is buy something you like and enjoy.Does not matter what - as long as you enjoy the coins, THAT'S WHAT MATTERS

Those coins will be living with you for maybe half a lifetime or even longer

I agree; I always look for the best looking coins available - or just the best value for money.

On 04/11/2014 at 6:48 PM, CartwheelTwopence said:

I agree; I always look for the best looking coins available - or just the best value for money.

Not as easy as you might think but it can be done with a lot of looking - I whould say that you have to live in either London birmingham or yorkshire and be a regular in the coin fairs .

Helps if you have a good eye as well .

Not a bad idea by Stuart. I think I might pick a year at some point, and give it a go.  

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Not a bad idea by Stuart. I think I might pick a year at some point, and give it a go.  

Most people go for a year of birth collection at some point and seem to keep it irrespective of where they end up with the main collection.

23 minutes ago, Rob said:

Most people go for a year of birth collection at some point and seem to keep it irrespective of where they end up with the main collection.

T'riffic. 

YOB collection!.JPG

Sorted then. :)

I've only kept three. This sixpence plus the two shillings.

img172.jpg

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Well yes, I can see that. But I'm not going for my year of birth. I think I'd prefer something from the 19th century. 

I don't like this game.

1.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

I don't like this game.

1.png

:lol:.

Sure you can find a better one Matt :D

• Like 1

Hi All

My first post after following the forum for some months now, I’ve been collecting Roman coins for many years and more recently English hammered, even a couple of stray Celtic coins. But what I don’t have is any milled coins in my collection. I have as many others have struggled with where to start, being a bit of a completionist it could be a slippery slope.

That was until this thread, my initial thought was to try to collect one of each denomination by portrait from Soveriegn down from maybe George III through Victoria, rather than going for random dates does anyone have any suggestions on some of the easier dates to try for, or is it not possible to do this by date ie too expensive/rare/not all coins minted etc

I have ordered a new coin cabinet and as yet haven’t decided on the draw config, it would be nice to customise a few drawers to accommodate this new ambition.

all suggestion gratefully received.

thanks Peter

Hi Peter welcome to the forum. Nice idea with what you are suggesting. I have a few coin sets of different Monarchs. I ask this question myself a month ago. A couple of dates  and not too expensive 1935 George V set and the 1937 George VI the 1935 set has the art deco Rocking Horse Crown which is very nice.

1 hour ago, Fuzzygoat said:

Hi All

My first post after following the forum for some months now, I’ve been collecting Roman coins for many years and more recently English hammered, even a couple of stray Celtic coins. But what I don’t have is any milled coins in my collection. I have as many others have struggled with where to start, being a bit of a completionist it could be a slippery slope.

That was until this thread, my initial thought was to try to collect one of each denomination by portrait from Soveriegn down from maybe George III through Victoria, rather than going for random dates does anyone have any suggestions on some of the easier dates to try for, or is it not possible to do this by date ie too expensive/rare/not all coins minted etc

I have ordered a new coin cabinet and as yet haven’t decided on the draw config, it would be nice to customise a few drawers to accommodate this new ambition.

thanks Peter

These are probably the most common sixpences

George III - 1816

George IV - 1821

William IV - 1834

Victoria - Young head - 1887

Victoria - Jubilee head - 1887

Victoria - Veiled head - 1901

Edward VII - 1902

George V - anything in the 1930s

George VI - anything except 1952

Elizabeth - any dates

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzygoat said:

Hi All

thanks Peter

If you don't already have one, get a yearly price reference, Spink's Coins of England or Collector's Coins (at the top of this page in the advert) will do and it doesn't have to be the latest volume either because all the types available are laid out and rarity pretty much correlates to price. Do the exercise and you will learn as you familiarise yourself with the prices, what constitutes an affordable year. or indeed whether it is possible.

• Like 1

For 'easy' years (though it can be relative):

1887 Jubilee Head silver

1916 and 1918

1965 and 1966 (1967 doesn't have shillings though everything else is extremely common).

There are other relatively easy dates for particular denominations: 1758 shillings, 1754 copper, 1787 shillings and sixpences, 1806 copper, 1816 silver.

Good luck - there's a wealth of research and digging around and general exploration to do!

Thanks all for your responses, I think the moral of the story is research and more research, it’s hard not to take the plunge and start to buy, but I think I’m starting to narrow down what I would like to focus on, next I need to research the values/ selling prices. 

Do you generally find SPINK to be accurate re prices fo say Victorian coins, I apologise if that’s a daft question but as I explained previously this is a whole new area for me.