British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

Heritage - Eric P Newman Collection

There are some doctors out there - I think we had earlier cited one in Kentucky, USA who is quite talented. Forget his name but a bit of research should pick him out. I have heard somewhere in the past that he takes in Guatamalan coins - many of which are holed and fills the holes and sends them out. Supposedly also a supposedly rare 1796 USA quarter dollar with hole that was later slabbed with number. Can't say I know this firsthand though...

His name is Allen Stockton, and he lives in Monticello, KY...near the Eastern Mountains of KY. He advertises in the ANA Magazine. He does very good work, but you would not want to send a coin to him in better than VF condition, as the repair and resurfacing does take its toll. Another thing, it takes 6 months to a year to get your coin back. The cost is reasonable however.

Yes, he fixed my holed 1905 shilling, it did take a while though.

Gary did you like the result?

There are some doctors out there - I think we had earlier cited one in Kentucky, USA who is quite talented. Forget his name but a bit of research should pick him out. I have heard somewhere in the past that he takes in Guatamalan coins - many of which are holed and fills the holes and sends them out. Supposedly also a supposedly rare 1796 USA quarter dollar with hole that was later slabbed with number. Can't say I know this firsthand though...

His name is Allen Stockton, and he lives in Monticello, KY...near the Eastern Mountains of KY. He advertises in the ANA Magazine. He does very good work, but you would not want to send a coin to him in better than VF condition, as the repair and resurfacing does take its toll. Another thing, it takes 6 months to a year to get your coin back. The cost is reasonable however.

Yes, he fixed my holed 1905 shilling, it did take a while though.

I remember the coin, it did look good but you'll always know in the back of your mind that it was holed. I wonder if CGS would Spot it through grading

The 'before and after' examples page on his website doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but from memory he did some remarkable work on coins that would be regarded as only good for the melting pot. Some of them were gouged, holed, solder damaged, water damaged etc. and they came out looking really good. I'd agree with Bob that you wouldn't want to let him work on a really top quality coin, but some of the ones he has restored look fabulous. I'm tempted to use him to repair a 1725 WCC shilling that I have in GVF condition, but which has a loop on the edge. I'm quite sure the milling would be perfect and the toning just right once it came back.

Edited by DaveG38

Gary did you like the result?

Yes, I thought it was $100 well spent. Here's the Observe, I don't have an after picture of the rverse and my collection is still in the bank from returning from my holiday yeserday.

post-462-0-36892000-1389182533_thumb.jpg

Ah, yes, I do seem to recall it - that is quite a job. Thanks for the post.

The problem being is that many bidders will bid on the grade stated on the slab regardless of what you or i think, and in doing so pushing the price beyond what normal collectors will pay.

Jaggy mentioned he's Willling to push the boat out on one coin, but if its bi á holder and graded as MS65 or more then it will get ugly. The whole bidding on the slab number irritates me along with American TPGs grading British coins, they just have nothing to benchmark them with and it seems if the grader had a good night before then you'll have a cracking grade.

Sorry, but their whole System is wrong and is pushing coin collecting towards the elite buyers.

(My opinion, so keep the hair on peeps, not wanting a grade or colony debate)

I am watching this sale carefully and there are is some very over-the-top bidding. For example, a fairly ordinary Dritanniar sixpence which is now over $500. The good news is that I already have two which are quite a lot better.

I have my eyes on a couple of coins but I am not going to pay way over the odds and that is the way this sale is going. However, you can get decent buys at Heritage if you know what you are doing. The fixation on slabbing and grading by many American collectors is also an opportunity.

The problem being is that many bidders will bid on the grade stated on the slab regardless of what you or i think, and in doing so pushing the price beyond what normal collectors will pay.

Jaggy mentioned he's Willling to push the boat out on one coin, but if its bi á holder and graded as MS65 or more then it will get ugly. The whole bidding on the slab number irritates me along with American TPGs grading British coins, they just have nothing to benchmark them with and it seems if the grader had a good night before then you'll have a cracking grade.

Sorry, but their whole System is wrong and is pushing coin collecting towards the elite buyers.

I am watching this sale carefully and there are is some very over-the-top bidding. For example, a fairly ordinary Dritanniar sixpence which is now over $500. The good news is that I already have two which are quite a lot better.

I have my eyes on a couple of coins but I am not going to pay way over the odds and that is the way this sale is going. However, you can get decent buys at Heritage if you know what you are doing. The fixation on slabbing and grading by many American collectors is also an opportunity.

VF35 for that DRITANNIAR is looking rather generous. It looks much nearer to Fine than that. £200 absolute max in my book and probably a bit less.

VF35 for that DRITANNIAR is looking rather generous. It looks much nearer to Fine than that. £200 absolute max in my book and probably a bit less.

Agreed. That was my maximum on it.

The greatest was one sold by Spink in their late, lamented SNC about 4 years ago for 800 pounds and ultimately graded MS64 - and deservedly so. Love the Drittaniar and its history even more as I lived in Cyprus for a bit some years ago....

Funny thing is that I don't think an MS64 would go for big money and would have to be a "66" or so to get crazy...

I do recall the truly graded MS66 1889 small head shilling going for USD 1900 last year, and it sold for basically what the common shillings in similar grade sold for!

The greatest was one sold by Spink in their late, lamented SNC about 4 years ago for 800 pounds and ultimately graded MS64 - and deservedly so. Love the Drittaniar and its history even more as I lived in Cyprus for a bit some years ago....

Funny thing is that I don't think an MS64 would go for big money and would have to be a "66" or so to get crazy...

I do recall the truly graded MS66 1889 small head shilling going for USD 1900 last year, and it sold for basically what the common shillings in similar grade sold for!

Eh? 1887 Jubilee Head shillings sell for 1900 USD in top grade - shome mishtake shurely?

I have two Dritanniars which are graded VF - GVF. Needless to say they were a lot cheaper than the one at Heritage. I also love the history. A very cool coin.

Actually, it was some earlier but later date Young Head shillings going for that money...

The 1878 Dritanniar sixpences were all die #6 and it has been stated many times that the bulk, if not all were sent to the newly acquired colony of Cyprus where they endured generally quite a bit of wear there evidently. The nicest specimens tend to be in the VF range & the few at the higher levels obviously did not circulate. It is not known, but only speculated that these were specimens saved out and did not make the voyage.

The 1878 Dritanniar sixpences were all die #6 and it has been stated many times that the bulk, if not all were sent to the newly acquired colony of Cyprus where they endured generally quite a bit of wear there evidently. The nicest specimens tend to be in the VF range & the few at the higher levels obviously did not circulate. It is not known, but only speculated that these were specimens saved out and did not make the voyage.

I find it fascinating to know where individual batches of coin were sent. Reading between the lines of the Royal Mint Annual Report for 1893 you can see that it is highly likely that most Jubilee head sixpences were sent to the colonies. It states that two shipments were needed before the new design dies were complete. These being: £29,000 of silver sent to the West African Settlements and £1,000 of silver sent to Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada).

Another interesting nugget of information shows that "only trifling amounts of florins were issued in the United Kingdom from the month of May 1889 to the end of 1892". The reason being "the superabundance of coins of that denomination" still in circulation.

It seems to me that there may still be a number of those rare coins knocking around the ex-colonial parts of the world.

Edited by Nick

Hate to know their state of preservation though! I was in West Africa some time ago and the coins in circulation abyssmal...

Hate to know their state of preservation though! I was in West Africa some time ago and the coins in circulation abyssmal...

Finding copper and bronze from the tropics in decent grades can be a nightmare, even supposedly common pieces with very low value in Krause

take the 2 cents Eastern Caribbean Group - these penny sized coins were issued 1955, 1957, 1958, 1960-1965,

Only 1955, 1965 and proofs were ever offered to the coin trade before going into circulation (these are cheap and plentiful in high grade) the rest are very hard to find

Shhhh, don't give away my secrets...LOL...When not collecting late milled, I'm in it. The currency strikes are scarcer in Unc. than the VIP record proofs of off years (like the the 1962 BCT two cents).

Anyone picked up a Newman coin yet? I didn't follow last night's auction but left a bid and apparently won a 1797 pattern, much to my surprise!

No luck. The auctioneer looked right into the camera when he waited for the next internet bid. Once I would have sworn he was looking right at me!!55k for the alf the great monogram penny, 40k plus for both lizzy gold. Top end market prices. Lovely coins.

Going back to the slabbing and the debate of whether the American slabbers are qualified to slab English coins - I have spoken to 2 well known dealers who were at heritage and viewed all the coins and they have been in the game for 40 years, they both agreed that on a number of slabbed coins that were slabbed as mounted or polished etc they simply weren't and there was nothing wrong with them. I think because they were high valued coins they errrred on caution and said they were damaged Etc when they weren't actually and that goes for some that have high grades - that actually have problems!!!! Therefore never buy from the number view and make your own mind up!!!

It was ever the case.

90% of my slabbed purchases have been on the basis of what it wasn't! Well, maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift.

Edited by Rob

Here's my sole Eric P Newman win, which I'm sure was undergraded (at PR62 by NGC). The slab photos show the coin to be darker than these pics. The surfaces and detail seem excellent. It's catalogued as a P1095 pattern.

1797pattern.jpg

Here's my sole Eric P Newman win, which I'm sure was undergraded (at PR62 by NGC). The slab photos show the coin to be darker than these pics. The surfaces and detail seem excellent. It's catalogued as a P1095 pattern.

1797pattern.jpg

Awesome! I'm (almost) tempted to sell my entire collection to get one of those :)

1797pattern.jpg

Awesome! I'm (almost) tempted to sell my entire collection to get one of those :)

Definitely under-graded in my view!