British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Accumulator

Heritage - Eric P Newman Collection

Has anyone else received the boxed set of Heritage catalogues for the January world (non-US) auctions, including Part 3 of the Eric P Newman collection? These catalogues, about 4 inches thick in total, are worth having for the stunning photos alone. Total estimated value must run into many many many millions of dollars. Unbelievable selection of, mainly, gold coins including a large number of British examples.

I have seen the collection online and will be bidding .... actually have bid ..... on a number of coins.

Have not seen the physical catalogues, however.

I don't know if you have to buy them or, as a Heritage customer, you get them automatically. I am in the UK at the moment so do not know what is in the mail at home.

The annual fee for all coin & currency catalogues is around $600-650. Past catalogues can be downloaded free as PDFs.

The annual fee for all coin & currency catalogues is around $600-650. Past catalogues can be downloaded free as PDFs.

I seem to have been lucky then! Sent by carrier from the US for free. I know I've spent some money with them over the last year, but not that much!

Just checked their site, you've saved yourself $50.00 :D

I am not seeing a wonderful selection of late milled….

I will be bidding on 3 lots, but I don't know if I can compete in this auction. If it is as competitive as the Newman US Coin auction, then almost everything may go for 3-5x (or more) the estimates. :(

I will be bidding on 3 lots, but I don't know if I can compete in this auction. If it is as competitive as the Newman US Coin auction, then almost everything may go for 3-5x (or more) the estimates. :(

I think this auction is being held during the "New York International Coin Fair" at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Midtown, New York City. That is the premier show here in the USA for World coins, so you are correct that the bidding will be very active. I have gone to the NYICF the last three years, but am attending the Florida United NUmismatic Expo this year, which is held on the same dates. You always freeze to death in NYC this time of year, so it will be nice to exchange that for 75 degree weather in Florida. Good luck with your bids!

You seem to do OK.

Stunning cu coins :)

Frankly much of the Newman G.B.milled proof material is very optimistically graded - I think the graders were overcome by the hype IMHO. take for example http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=3029&lotNo=30147&lotIdNo=11049 really PF 65 or GEM proof grade with that rim damage softish reverse strike and disturbed fields -- hmmm

Lot of overgraded coins in overpriced plastic. There are some very nice coins, but the grades on the holders are obscene.

Well, what I was saying…Take it away, winners (?).

I expect no one will dare crack out coins from any Newman provenance holder given the premium they will be forced to pay. Still they are sold to benefit a charitable cause

I'd crack em out nonetheless. The coin won't lose its provenance just because of a bit if plastic with some writing...

I'd crack em out nonetheless. The coin won't lose its provenance just because of a bit if plastic with some writing...

Correct. I have some ex-Terner pieces and some Terner labels. I couldn't bring myself to retain the shattered remains of the ex-Terner plastic tombs.

Lot of overgraded coins in overpriced plastic. There are some very nice coins, but the grades on the holders are obscene.

As ever it is up to the buyer to determine the grade and the price he/she will pay. I am going to bid on a few lots. But there is only one coin that I might be willing to pay over the odds on. For the others, they are either not all that scarce or I already have a better example than the one that is up for sale.

As ever it is up to the buyer to determine the grade and the price he/she will pay. I am going to bid on a few lots. But there is only one coin that I might be willing to pay over the odds on. For the others, they are either not all that scarce or I already have a better example than the one that is up for sale.

My Scottish 22/- from Queen Mary is nicer than example that got a MS-63 grade in the NGC holder. One thing I cannot overcome is that the coin displays a couple of instances of tooling.

There are other coins that don't make the grade on the holder IMHO but are still very nice examples - I just think plastic factory grading means nothing to me. There are a couple of coins I might swoop in on - but I may well do a crack-out fest in the event I get them.

A plastic tomb doesn't a provenance make.

My Scottish 22/- from Queen Mary is nicer than example that got a MS-63 grade in the NGC holder. One thing I cannot overcome is that the coin displays a couple of instances of tooling.

There are other coins that don't make the grade on the holder IMHO but are still very nice examples - I just think plastic factory grading means nothing to me. There are a couple of coins I might swoop in on - but I may well do a crack-out fest in the event I get them.

A plastic tomb doesn't a provenance make.

I'm not all that bothered by provenance (although I do like my ex. Willis coins). I am after coins that will fit in my collection and which meet my criteria. If it is the right coin then where it comes from is not very important to me.

You're going to sell them one day.

I absolutely do not get nor have ever got the provenance thing.

Do I actually care a tinker's groat (thats was quite a lot of money to a tinker, right?) who owned a coin before me or which collection it came from?.....am I ever going to pay a premium over what I'm prepared to pay for a coin because some other collector had it............no I'm not.

I'd say it's more about authenticity of a coin with the growing number of more skilled forgeries flooding the market.

I tend to look at it from a different perspective...if I choose to buy a coin that is going in my collection, I do not see any harm with trying to allocate a provenance to it, and think that as forgery is becoming a more prevalent issue and undoubtedly will only get worse, having a provenance that can show that this particular example was included in a sale prior to that point can only be a good thing.

When determining scarcity of a coin, tying up provenances also enables you to get a more representative idea of the numbers of a type in existence, whilst this is only really of benefit for rarer coins/varieties, it certainly can provide vital information.

Finally when I have discovered that a coin I own does have a provenance, it does add something to the coin for me, I could not put my finger on exactly what that something is, but to know that a fellow collector coveted this coin, and chose it as the example they wanted in their collection does add something.

I would not pay above the odds for a coin with provenance, but it is a factor that would certainly come into play if I was looking at two similarly graded examples at a similar price...not that this scenario is likely to happen very often :D .

Certainly a provenance isn't everything, but it is nice to know that a well known collector thought well enough of something you own that they owned it also. I have a very rare Scots coin that has a provenance going back to 1903 and also a very nice English noble that has a rather well known former owner. But seriously, I wouldn't pay a premium for a provenance - if the coin is nice buy it. Don't buy just the provenance and a stupid piece of overpriced plastic.