British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Just pulled 3 2013 2 pence from my pocket change - looking to pick one to keep[

One is normal, the other two have approx 120 degree die rotation, ie with obverse normal at 12 o'clock, the reverses are about 8 o'clock

A sample of 2 out of 3 not a good statistical sample as they could well all have come out the same mint bag

does this happen often these days?

I suspect not. It also suggests the fixing hole for the dies in the press are triangular or hexagonal. Given the existence of inverted die axis pennies in recent years, a hexagonal form is suggested.

it's actually worse than I thought - two different die rotations!

these three 2 pence carefully positioned on the scanner with the tops of the shields aligned with a ruler as best I could

2013twopencedierotations.jpg

the other shield twopences I have (not 2013) all appear normal

be interested to see whether this sloppiness at the Mint is normal for this issue - check your change please folk :)

Something quite ill in me has materialised from this thread, I crazily set aside 3 coins from my pocket change at the pub, and thought (for the first time ever) THAT would be nice!

I definitely need a horse tranquilizer to set me straight! I couldn't even justify it would be an investment for my son! :(

Bit of a beginners question, but what is the significance of the die rotations?

Bit of a beginners question, but what is the significance of the die rotations?

For most of coin history, the coin axis was ↑↓, which means if you rotate it horizontally, the reverse is upside down in relation to the obverse. From some point in the 19th Century it changed to ↑↑ (i.e. the same way up). Severely out of alignment = a misstrike and used to mean potentially collectable. Nowadays it just points up the shoddy workmanship of the Royal Mint. I personally wouldn't get excited about such things.