British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

An Unknown Copper

Not got a clue on this copper - can anyone help?

3.8mm thick, 27.2-27.6mm diameter, 16.76 g

unknowncopper.jpg

? Indian native stae or central Asia - one of the 3 scripts looks vaguely Russian

I was thinking 'Greek', but of course Russian and Greek alphabets are related. It certainly isn't any recognisable Greek type I've ever seen.

Mrs Peter noticed a small penis (well she would)

Tibet would be my hunch.

Nice cu.

Mrs Peter noticed a small penis (well she would)

Tibet would be my hunch.

Nice cu.

What are you inferring about the Tibetenese, Peter? :mellow:

Edited by Accumulator

Possibly Kushan. See:

http://coinindia.com/galleries-vasudeva.html

bottom of page.

Many thanks what a useful site :)

I think mine is this one

The Coin Galleries: Vima Kadphises

http://coinindia.com/galleries-vima-kadphises.html spacer.gif

Vima Kadphises was the father of the great Kanishka I. He probabaly reigned during the first quarter of the 2nd century. The empire must have begun its rapid ascent during his reign, as he introduced gold coinage to accompany the well-developed bronze coinage. Silver coinage seems to have disappeared from the Kushan money supply with Vima Takha (who also isssued very few silver coins).

VimaK-3008v-450.08.jpg

AE tetradrachm or unit, c. first quarter of 2nd. Century

Weight: 17.01 gm., Diam: 27 mm., Die axis: 12 o'clock

King standing facing, sacrificing at fire altar at left, club, tamgha and axehead-shafted trident in fields,

Greek legend around: BACIΛEYC BACIΛEWN CWTHP MEΓAC OOHMO KAΔΦICHC/

Siva standing facing, holding trident and deerskin, bull Nandi right behind,

Kharoshti legend: maharajasa rajadirajasa sarvaloga isvarasa mahisvarasa

Vima Kathphishasa tratara

Göbl 762, MAC 3008

Edited by davidrj

Brilliant.

There is so much nice cu out there. :)

I was thinking 'Greek', but of course Russian and Greek alphabets are related. It certainly isn't any recognisable Greek type I've ever seen.

you were correct Peck - Legend in corrupted Greek script: BACIΛEYC BACIΛEWN CWTHP MEΓAC OOHMO KAΔΦICHC ("Basileus Basileon Sotir Megas Ooimo Kadphisis"): "King of Kings Vima Kadphises the Great Saviour"

This forum is superb for the range of expertise we can call on - this morning all I had was the Ebay seller's description "Old Coin" - quite pleased for £9.38 plus £1 postage :)

Edited by davidrj

you were correct Peck - Legend in corrupted Greek script: BACIΛEYC BACIΛEWN CWTHP MEΓAC OOHMO KAΔΦICHC ("Basileus Basileon Sotir Megas Ooimo Kadphisis"): "King of Kings Vima Kadphises the Great Saviour"

This forum is superb for the range of expertise we can call on - this morning all I had was the Ebay seller's description "Old Coin" - quite pleased for £9.38 plus £1 postage :)

Interesting - "BASILEOS (king, or chief) SAUTEIROS (saviour, or health/safety-bringer)" is also on the reverse of a Philip tetradrachm I own.