British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1805 George Iii Copper Pattern Halfpenny

I'm not in the market for this, but would find your comments educational and interesting ...

Link

Edited by Paulus

P1309 is a Taylor restrike and probably the most common restrike available. It is certainly on a par with the commonest of the Soho proofs, so a guide would be as for the 1806 halfpenny, which stands at £500-£600 in the new Spink catalogue.

Truly a thing of beauty, almost makes me want to start collecting them again.

Somewhere on here, there's a thread discussing why the 1805 coins aren't in Spink. Of course, strictly, they're patterns but Spink does list other similar coins, not least of which would be the unique 1808!

Anyway, I think the 1805's are lovely to own. Prices for the pennies would be £600-£1,000, depending on condition. I'm not sure about the halfpenny.

I'm struggling to get a good photo through the slab (there are no streaks on the coin itself!), but it really is a beautiful coin:

Penny1805%20OBV%20500x500.jpgPenny1805%20REV%20500x500.jpg

I think Spink have left the patterns to others such as Peck and a good idea at that or else the book would be massive

P1309 is a Taylor restrike and probably the most common restrike available. It is certainly on a par with the commonest of the Soho proofs, so a guide would be as for the 1806 halfpenny, which stands at £500-£600 in the new Spink catalogue.

Is that you quoting a SPINK BOOK PRICE Rob? Surely a coins value is what a buyer is Willling to pay and Spink is merely a guide ;)

Edited by azda

I'm not in the market for this, but would find your comments educational and interesting ...

Link

Very nice. Judging from Rob's valuable guide on toning he posted yesterday, it would appear from its colour to be a Taylor restrike. I have absolutely no idea as to value, but I wouldn't mind owning one. If Peck rates it as VS though, it can't be THAT rare, surely?

ETA: tsk. That'll teach me to read down first: Rob has already confirmed the details I raised.

Edited by Peckris

I did'nt hinkt Hey were that rare either Peck, i's have said it was a fairly common coin as they come up for sale quite often

The colour of restrikes is so variable that anything describing them is a typical indication only.

As for the pricing, the point I am making is that they are certainly one of the commonest, if not the commonest. A comparable one would be the P1260 which is equally common. In the last two or three years, G3 proofs have taken an upward turn in prices realised. In this case, Spink is reflecting the market and the prices paid. I don't think the typical buyer is aware of the relative rarities of the varieties, and even if they appreciate there are differences they are still likely to use Peck rarities instead of Mick Martin's survey. Personally, I would look to pay 60-70% of the 1806 proof halfpenny price listed in Spink for both this and the 1806, but the market doesn't seem able to take on board availability and so is often seen to be behaving in sheep mode. What is unquestionable is that if someone paid 950 for one of these, a visit to see a man in a white coat is probably in order. The cost of said visit is a couple hundred thousand. I am the proud owner of a white coat if anyone wants a consultation. ;)

A Quote from the ebay blurb

"As a guide to price, the last example we sold some years ago went for £950" probably forget to mention the helping hand he probably gave it, this time it sold for £330 which is more realistic IF IT SOLD that is :D

The winning bidder with a 10 feedback score, feedback will reveal if it actually sold

Edited by azda