British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Anne Copper Pattern Halfpenny

Wouldn't want anyone who wanted one to miss out! Looks desirable to me ...

Link

P728 is one that you would want to know the weight. There are copies of this variety made 100 years ago by Robert Ready taken from the BM's example. They have RR stamped incuse on the edge and are a bit thicker than the real one. I don't have an example to give the weight of the copy unfortunately. My P728 weighs 8.31g. It is probably the most frequently documented variety of the various die combinations, though how many of these are copies is not certain.

I have asked the weight question, you are a total star Rob!

For what it's worth, the weights of my examples dies 2+A* to 2+D* are as follows:

P724 2+A* 9.19g

P726 2+B* 10.09g

P728 2+C* 8.31g

P730 2+D* 9.17g

The silver ones are pro-rata with regard to density.

The edge will likely be filed. Based on the evidence seen on an example of a 1729 silver proof 1/2d that went through Baldwins about 5 or 6 years ago, it seems that proofs in this period were possibly struck on a sheet and punched out slightly larger than the coin, then the edges were filed down and the excess removed. They were not obviously struck in a collar as the flans are usually slightly irregular, or if they were struck using a collar, it wasn't a very good fit. Certainly the edges aren't normally flat and perpendicular which you would expect if used and any subsequent filing would negate any finish obtained with a collar..

Clearly my 728 is at the lower end of the weight range, but the 10g or so of the 726 is about as high as I've seen or have recorded. I would suggest a figure approaching 11g to be questionable.

Edited by Rob

Problem being, Martin Platt is the seller. £503 i doubt he'll be happy with that considering he wrote in his description

Almost impossible to locate in any condition, this coin would make a wonderful addition to any serious early 18th century pattern halfpenny collection. A similar coin sold in March 2013 at auction for £750 although we believe this example to be superior.

He was probably hoping for £750 plus

Edited by azda

Oh blimey, didn't realise it was Monsieur Platt or I wouldn't have posted it on here! Looked okay though!

He said the weight was 9.5g ...

He does come up with the goods Paul, unfortunately 90% is Rather inflated/cleaned/dipped, its up to the individual if they want to chance it. I doubt he'll be overly happy at the price, i guess he was looking for £750+ unfortunately as i've also noticed, no one is buying on ebay right now, possibly waiting on the last few auctions of the year such as DNW tomorrow.

Edited by azda

£700-750 is about right.

Womder if his mate got a bargain then :)

£700-750 is about right.

Womder if his mate got a bargain then :)

LOL

A strange time to finish an auction.

Looked a nice pattern though but not my scene.

He does come up with the goods Paul, unfortunately 90% is Rather inflated/cleaned/dipped, its up to the individual if they want to chance it. I doubt he'll be overly happy at the price, i guess he was looking for £750+ unfortunately as i've also noticed, no one is buying on ebay right now, possibly waiting on the last few auctions of the year such as DNW tomorrow.

I agree coming up to Christmas is probably not the best time to sell. Having said that the biggger buyers ussually have the spare cash all year round anway.

I doubt they'd be shopping on ebay Huss lol

I have always found that the worst time to sell coins is the three weeks running up to xmas and the month after xmas- coins put on at these times just don't get the prices you think they will get - there are always exceptions of course.

Logically it is a good time to buy as others are not.