British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gary D

I've Long Wondered The Mintage Of The 1935 Specimen Crown

I've never seen it mensioned anywhere so I asked the Mint.

Apparently 14,382 or 14,398.

1935 crown mintage.pdf

Thanks very much for getting the interesting data! I am surprised that this information is not given in any of the standard coin books and none of the authors bothered asking the mint.

14,382 is lower than what I thought it would be since they are relative cheap and easy to come by.

I have previously thought that the 1927 proof sets were all issued in leather boxes along with a "back up" paper box. Nice to learn the truth. It is also really surprising that the demand for these sets were so low that they did not finish selling them until 1933!

Yes, I second the "cheap and easy" - sounds a bit provacative at that - and have at least four of them:

- raw

-CGS 85

-PCGS 65

-NGC 65

And the winner is?

?

?

?

?

Drumroll, please....

PCGS!

I showed the CGS on these Boards before, complete with a bit of worsening Verd.

Edited by VickySilver

PS - I think it is harder to find a "gem" quality normal currency than the specimen. I have seen a couple with lovely swirling lustre.

PS - I think it is harder to find a "gem" quality normal currency than the specimen. I have seen a couple with lovely swirling lustre.

Vicky, do you know how I can tell the Specimens apart from the normal currency? (Apart from the specimens being in a red cardboard box!)

The specimen is semi proof like with a bit of light frosting noticible to the bust.

did you cut off the information at just before the 1927 proof set or was that done when you were sent it from the mint?

Would be interesting to see the information for the other proof sets and stuff too if you have it available? :)

Yes, good stuff. Gary beat me to the answer, except I would downgrade the contrast of the devices. The coin has some proof like fields but not the full proof prep - this is a bit unusual for the currency strikes but I would not be surprised if there was a transitional piece or two.

The strikes to my view a bit better than currency as well.

Don't forget to check the edges for inscription errors/omissions. If you find one on a currency I know somebody (hint, hint) that would reward you for such!

did you cut off the information at just before the 1927 proof set or was that done when you were sent it from the mint?

Would be interesting to see the information for the other proof sets and stuff too if you have it available? :)

That's as it came from the mint.

Yes, good stuff. Gary beat me to the answer, except I would downgrade the contrast of the devices. The coin has some proof like fields but not the full proof prep - this is a bit unusual for the currency strikes but I would not be surprised if there was a transitional piece or two.

The strikes to my view a bit better than currency as well.

Don't forget to check the edges for inscription errors/omissions. If you find one on a currency I know somebody (hint, hint) that would reward you for such!

There's been a couple come up recently, one at London coins which went for about £300 and Bucks Coin had one on ebay a week or two ago which went very cheap. Those prices are a bit of a surprise for something that is supposed to be so rare.

Are the 1927 sets in cardboard cases supposed to be in any way inferior? (I'm assuming not). Is there much of a premium for a set in a leather case, if so, how much?

That will be changed soon I hope... ;)

Thanks very much for getting the interesting data! I am surprised that this information is not given in any of the standard coin books and none of the authors bothered asking the mint.

Gary, was that edge inscription omission on the currency type to which you refer?

Are the 1927 sets in cardboard cases supposed to be in any way inferior? (I'm assuming not). Is there much of a premium for a set in a leather case, if so, how much?

For me, I really like the leather box and I guess I would be prepared to pay £20 or £30 to buy one if I have a set in cardboard box. (Having said that, I do worry about the ribbons used to lift out the coins and the way they can tone the coins).

I think sets sell for pretty much the same money regardless the type of box. In fact, I think one might even get more money by separating a set and selling the coins individually.

Gary, was that edge inscription omission on the currency type to which you refer?

Yes both the currency type.

For me, I really like the leather box and I guess I would be prepared to pay £20 or £30 to buy one if I have a set in cardboard box. (Having said that, I do worry about the ribbons used to lift out the coins and the way they can tone the coins).

I think sets sell for pretty much the same money regardless the type of box. In fact, I think one might even get more money by separating a set and selling the coins individually.

I think my set is in the leather case, well they were before I put them into my cabinet. I'll have to go up into the loft and look it out, I have a bag with all the cases in somewhere. If mine were in the cardboard case I'd jump at an upgrade for £20-30. I think £50 would be closer.

I think my set is in the leather case, well they were before I put them into my cabinet. I'll have to go up into the loft and look it out, I have a bag with all the cases in somewhere. If mine were in the cardboard case I'd jump at an upgrade for £20-30. I think £50 would be closer.

Fine - anywhere from £20 to £50 then. Considering the sets sell for well over £500 these days, I'm not really tempted to upgrade my card case!

Fine - anywhere from £20 to £50 then. Considering the sets sell for well over £500 these days, I'm not really tempted to upgrade my card case!

I want a case for the 1893 short set. Anybody got one spare?

Edited by DaveG38

Whist on the

I want a case for the 1893 short set. Anybody got one spare?

Whilst on the subject I'm short of the 1911 case. I don't know if there were different set but I've only got the silver.

Edited by Gary D

I don't think I would want to pay for a case upgrade unless I intend to keep the coins in the case. What's the point in having a prettier case if it is going to live in the loft?The cardboard cases are just as original and probably just as rare as the leather ones.

On the subject of cases, I was surprised to learn that there are different varieties to the short 1902 proof set cases. Externally, the cases are the same but the coins inside the cases are arranged in different orders. Anyone know why they made different versions?

...and again veering slightly off topic, I assume that the 1953, 1960 & 1965 Crowns (and 1937?) were just issued in plastic wallets or something similar - I've never seen any 'official' cases advertised - I wonder why given that the 1935 & 1951 Crowns and post-1972 25p's were issued in boxes/cases?

...and again veering slightly off topic, I assume that the 1953, 1960 & 1965 Crowns (and 1937?) were just issued in plastic wallets or something similar - I've never seen any 'official' cases advertised - I wonder why given that the 1935 & 1951 Crowns and post-1972 25p's were issued in boxes/cases?

The 1965 crowns were issued in very large quantities through the banks and Post Office, so there would have been no cases, just mint bags of crowns for doling out at face value. Some of the 1960 crowns were issued at the special New York Exhibition (so-called 'polished blank' specimens); whether they were before, during or after the regular issue I don't know, but the cases I've always seen for them (and 1953) are the clear plastic slide-top holders that were also used all the way up to the Charles and Di 25p's (and beyond?). Those were not RM issue cases but presumably manufactured en masse by perhaps the same firm that made the Sandhill cases for sets.

Because the crown had become a commem-only denomination by 1953, it may have been felt that even the Festival of Britain card cases were too much trouble and expense as people could buy the damn things for face value from banks etc?

I've never seen cases for any of the Wreath Crowns or the VIP issues come to that. I guess the wreaths were issued by the banks so were just doled out from mint bags. The proofs and VIPs you would expect to be in some sort of presentation case though.

This is obviously contemporary packaging, but I've no idea where they came from. Anybody?

002_zps7e720c19.jpg

There's a nice 1935 in the DNW sale next week if you want one....its on the front cover...estimate £400 - £500 which seems fair as I saw one sell on eBay for £626 when I was looking for one...which I eventually bought one off Spink funnily enough...in those soon to be forgotten days when they were interested in coins.