British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1997crich

South African Proof Sixpence?

Hi there. I was recently given a 1927 set of proof coins, 1937 16 piece, 1950 and 1951 set. Unfortunately I promptly sold them all, except the 1937 set (which has both pennies missing).

The process really sparked my admiration for coins, something I left behind somewhere between school and work.

I have dug out my old coin collection and started going through it ( much to my wife's annoyance as she says I am now like a golf husband)

I have come across a coin that could possibly be a proof but a very scruffy one. It is a 1932 South African silver sixpence with crowned George and a flower on the reverse. The coin is quite common unless it is a proof, of which only 40 or 50 were made( I think).

Does anyone know how to tell if a very toned and/or dirty coin is actually a proof coin?

I have a few other silver coins which I'm not sure about so any information would be great to help me sift through my coins.

Hi there. I was recently given a 1927 set of proof coins, 1937 16 piece, 1950 and 1951 set. Unfortunately I promptly sold them all, except the 1937 set (which has both pennies missing).

The process really sparked my admiration for coins, something I left behind somewhere between school and work.

I have dug out my old coin collection and started going through it ( much to my wife's annoyance as she says I am now like a golf husband)

I have come across a coin that could possibly be a proof but a very scruffy one. It is a 1932 South African silver sixpence with crowned George and a flower on the reverse. The coin is quite common unless it is a proof, of which only 40 or 50 were made( I think).

Does anyone know how to tell if a very toned and/or dirty coin is actually a proof coin?

I have a few other silver coins which I'm not sure about so any information would be great to help me sift through my coins.

Without knowledge and experience, it can be quite tricky. However, proofs - provided they haven't circulated - generally have a sharply defined finish with no weak spots on the design (which UNC coins might have due to wearing dies). Also, a proof tends to have very sharp edges to the rim and, if relevant, perfectly even teeth or beads.

A scruffy coin COULD be a proof, but you would probably need expert opinion. A picture here would help greatly.

It is a 1932 South African silver sixpence with crowned George and a flower on the reverse. The coin is quite common unless it is a proof, of which only 40 or 50 were made( I think).

Mintage for the 1932 proof 6d is just 12, according to both Remick & Krause

Currency issue mintage was 1,524,910

Edited by davidrj