British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Great coin and a beautiful part of East Suffolk (anywhere in Suffolk is nice outside Ipswich,Lowestoft and Haverhill ;) )

(I'm a West Suffolk lad)

I'm actually from over the border in the posh part of Essex. Just come to Haverhill to see if I could find the hub caps off me motor. Been here 15 years now and still haven't found them :(

Here they are. It was a Citroen you were driving, wasn't it?

http://associatesmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/300-Movie-Publicity-Still-300-222280_1500_783.jpg

Edited by Rob

Great coin and a beautiful part of East Suffolk (anywhere in Suffolk is nice outside Ipswich,Lowestoft and Haverhill ;) )

(I'm a West Suffolk lad)

I'm actually from over the border in the posh part of Essex. Just come to Haverhill to see if I could find the hub caps off me motor. Been here 15 years now and still haven't found them :(

Here they are. It was a Citroen you were driving, wasn't it?

http://associatesmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/300-Movie-Publicity-Still-300-222280_1500_783.jpg

:lol:

I'm guessing you've finished the property, then?

It's on the market, though how much interest there will be before Christmas I'm not sure. If it doesn't sell fairly quickly I'll just let it out instead.

Just dipped my toe in the water on these token thingies, no idea if it's a Conder, or the date, but the seller says it's a halfpenny. Just fancied it and it was quite cheap, getting withdrawal symptoms from not acquiring early milled silver, much of which I will be selling in the new year. Anyway, I have 2 questions:

• was this ok for £12 + postage
  • what year/denomination is it!

SuccessToThePloughAndFleece_zpsc71d6c72.

Thanks for all and any comments!

it is a condor, Halfpenny Bury St Edmunds C1795, for £12, it is a bargain

Thanks Scott ... I find it slightly weird that some of them don't have the value on them!

Thanks Scott ... I find it slightly weird that some of them don't have the value on them!

Virtually all the halfpennies don't (and the majority of late 18thC tokens were halfpennies), but they were of a fairly uniform size and weight. I.e., same as the regal issue of 1771-75.

it is a condor, Halfpenny Bury St Edmunds C1795, for £12, it is a bargain

Just for clarification -- the spelling is Conder (named after James Conder), not condor (a bird).

As scott mentioned, the token is a Suffolk/Bury halfpenny, Dalton&Hamer #26, my guess is that it's probably the common variety with the edge lettering of "PAYABLE AT P. DECKS POST OFFICE BURY .XX".

Regarding the denomination, this can usually be told by the diameter and the weight of the token. See the article on Wikipedia with a depiction of the usual diameter of these tokens. In brief, farthings are roughly 21mm, halfpennies 29mm, and pennies 34 mm. Though, there are variations because some were struck on large flans, or without collars.

Nearly all of the article on Wikipedia was written by me, and there are many good citations among the Bibliography references if you are looking for more historical context or information on these tokens.

For £12 you did very well! :)

Thanks, that does seem to be exactly what it is ... it was just irresistable at the price given the grade and eye appeal, I had spent a few weeks watching lesser grades go for £30-£40 (on eBay) but have no idea of relative scarcity and just wanted a nice example. To me these have more history to tell than the other legal tender/circulated coins of their era, but I won't be trying to collect them all!

Do you know whether the Diesinker (Thomas Wyon) is related to the Wyons involved in the William IV and Victoria coinage? (I assumed he was)

Mintage 25,750? Is that a reliable figure?

I now have it in hand and am very pleased with it!

What's the relevance of the 'XX' on the edge?

Edited by Paulus

Do you know whether the Diesinker (Thomas Wyon) is related to the Wyons involved in the William IV and Victoria coinage? (I assumed he was)

If my memory serves me, Thomas Wyon (the elder -- diesinker of your token) was the uncle of William Wyon. The Wyon family were such a talented group of engravers that it's hard to keep them all straight. I believe they are all related in some way or another.

What's the relevance of the 'XX' on the edge?

No significance to the "XX" -- it is simply a space filler for the edge lettering that denotes the beginning/end of the inscription.

1790s_Middlesex_Burchell_DH274_composite

Blimey, that's a weird one, is it yours? Does it actually say that on the edge?

Blimey, that's a weird one, is it yours? Does it actually say that on the edge?

Yep it's mine. Also, yes, it actually says that on the edge. It was issued when there was a rumor going about that anyone caught issuing their own coinage would be prosecuted -- this particular issuer wanted to make sure that he wasn't breaking any laws. ;)

So you couldn't mint your own coinage, but you could hand out medals in change !

Paul

Love the plough and fleece.I have one somewhere. :)

My home town.

You have the Wolf guarding St Edmunds Head.

My secret is the Bury mint.Very difficult to get nice round,well struck coins although I'm doing my best(condors are easy :rolleyes: )....the fields around here are full of hammered...apparently. :blink: I just get grots. :(

Paul

Love the plough and fleece.I have one somewhere. :)

My home town.

You have the Wolf guarding St Edmunds Head.

My secret is the Bury mint.Very difficult to get nice round,well struck coins although I'm doing my best(condors are easy :rolleyes: )....the fields around here are full of hammered...apparently. :blink: I just get grots. :(

Thanks Peter, I didn't know the significance of the wolf ... just love the history from these things, especially those that were in general circulation!

Edited by Paulus

1795 Middlesex-Neeton's Halfpenny, DH-390 (extra large flan, 31mm)

Ex Joel Spingarn Collection

1795_Middlesex_Neeton_DH390_NGC_MS64BN_l

1795_Middlesex_Neeton_DH390_NGC_MS64BN_l

Looks like he is a regular at the above establishment. ;)

LOL ! I was going to say looks like he's been into the inventory.

Nice token !

Interesting toning pattern, ??? due to a change in the molecular structure next to areas of maximum pressure ?

Interesting toning pattern, ??? due to a change in the molecular structure next to areas of maximum pressure ?

It's fairly common for this kind of red toning to remain near to the devices/lettering. In the case of this token, it was struck on an extra large flan and not in a collar, so a lot of metal flow occurred, creating this particularly extreme/interesting toning pattern. Your theory is a correct one! B)

Brandon

You need to get your collection published.

BTW there is a Brandon near where I live.

I worked at RAF Lakenheath.....nice little nuclear bomb dump...

Brandon

You need to get your collection published.

BTW there is a Brandon near where I live.

I worked at RAF Lakenheath.....nice little nuclear bomb dump...

Recruiting sergeant: "...the latest nuclear submarines."

Homer Simpson: "Nucular. Nucular. It's nucular."

Recruiting sergeant: [sigh]. "Whatever."

Peck

Can I have a sniff of what you are on. :)

Have you ever had a 10lb cod slapped against your cheeks (I won't say which ones :rolleyes: )

I do like your posts HNY.