British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

8 minutes ago, secret santa said:

That's a lovely example, John - is it a new acquisition ?

This year, slabbed MS64, PWA did the image but free for you to use

1 hour ago, Danelaw said:

£6,200 for a Carrickfergus token? Estimated at £300.

Are you selling?

A new unlisted unofficial farthing variety which landed today. I believe it relates to the famous gun makers Holland & Holland but I'm yet to research properly. Thoughts and comments welcome 

20200623_170829.jpg

20200623_170942.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/1/2020 at 9:58 AM, Paulus said:

Blimey, well done, which one have you still to acquire? I have a few still to get, including the Workhouse one.

Apologies Paulus for some reason I either didn't get a notification or I missed it, only just read your post. The only one I needed back in May was the Soho Manufactory which I bought last week from Paul Green at Holgate Numismatics (very friendly) It was in a group of 6 he bought from Spink, I'm not sure which others he has but might be worth contacting him

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

A new unlisted unofficial farthing variety which landed today. I believe it relates to the famous gun makers Holland & Holland but I'm yet to research properly. Thoughts and comments welcome 

20200623_170829.jpg

20200623_170942.jpg

As a keen collector of the Birmingham series....WOW ! Diameter ? 

White's 1849 Directory of Birmingham, p. 182, "Holland, Henry, gun and pistol maker, 21 Steelhouse Lane".

The Henry Holland of Holland and Holland was, according to Wikipedia, only apprenticed in 1861, so possibly this piece is unrelated. 

1 hour ago, JLS said:

As a keen collector of the Birmingham series....WOW ! Diameter

White's 1849 Directory of Birmingham, p. 182, "Holland, Henry, gun and pistol maker, 21 Steelhouse Lane".

The Henry Holland of Holland and Holland was, according to Wikipedia, only apprenticed in 1861, so possibly this piece is unrelated. 

It's 24mm diameter so one of the larger ones in the series. Milled edge.

It does seem unlikely that it is related to Holland & Holland on further thought as Harris Holland sounded quite controlling according to the Wikipedia article. Also an article in the 'Vintage Gun Journal' https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/a-harris-holland-restored gives a start date for the apprenticeship as 1876. It also poses the question of why Henry Holland is on the token not Holland & Holland 

Another new addition, possibly an unlisted unofficial farthing but unsure on this one. If it is it must be one of the last few issued date wise. 21½mm diameter and quite thick at 2mm, appears to be cupro-nickel. The Reverse is a similar version of the the Remington typewriter token 

For some reason I can't add pictures at the moment. 🤔

Latest addition to my Kempson Bath series, extremely pleased with this one, Somerset D&H70. These are the sellers pics

20230803_215619.jpg

• Like 4

20230803_215728.jpg

• Like 6

large.155559182_MI308-134CharlesIWarandPeace.jpg.7e463bce44b1e6f795eae6ba58adb629.jpg

A so-called "War and Peace" medal from the reign of Charles I. Struck in accordance with the views of Charles after the defeat of Waller and the surrender of Bristol to Prince Rupert, when Charles summoned his Council "to consider how these great blessings in war might be applied to the procuring a happy peace."

Obverse, a laureate bust of Charles, reverse a sword and olive branch, crossed between crowned initials. The legend IN VTRVM QVE PARATVS signifies the King was 'prepared for both', i.e. peace or war. Date below. MI 308/134 29mm. Thomas Rawlins' initial under the bust. There are a few variations of this medal, with this being the commonest.

• Like 4

This by comparison, is rare, hence the condition! A 'Military and Naval Forces' medal. Supposedly struck at a time Charles was demanding better funding from Parliament to enable him to rule by sea and land.

Issued in 1628 at a time England was much concerned with the siege of the Huguenot city of la Rochelle by the Catholic forces of Louis XIII. Charles was keen to bolster Protestant interests in Europe and Buckingham was allowed to raise forces to supposedly support the Huguenots. However this went poorly and Buckingham was forced to return to England. Charles blamed Parliament for not providing the finances to reinforce Buckingham's expedition.

The medal shows Charles with a radiate crown. The reverse, a sceptre and trident intertwined REGIT VNVS VTROQVE sends the message 'one rules with both', ie sceptre and trident. The design of this medal is by Briot, with a sideways B as signature below Charles' bust. Traditionally this medal has also been suggested as a pattern for a shilling, but although silver versions exist, there's no evidence I've seen to suggest this was ever taken further than a possible proposal. MI 250/26, 29mm.

large.823007921_MI250-26.jpg.b9504be4a0cfb07a9b1cbe5ca73a1edb.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/3/2023 at 10:20 PM, will1976 said:
On 8/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, will1976 said:

Latest addition to my Kempson Bath series, extremely pleased with this one, Somerset D&H70. These are the sellers pics

20230803_215619.jpg

Very nice Will. I'm also collecting Kempson's Coventry buildings (along with Bath and Birmingham), I don't have an example of that one yet.

Here's my little collection of Coventry buildings so far

coventry_buildings_01.png

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 7

On 8/5/2023 at 6:31 PM, Paulus said:

Very nice Will. I'm also collecting Kempson's Coventry buildings (along with Bath and Birmingham), I don't have an example of that one yet.

There are some lovely examples there, I particularly like the whitefriars one with it's rich chocolate tone. I've started to collect the brass examples of the Birmingham series, 5 so far plus one that turned out to be a gilt copper! Have you considered collecting the Gloucester penny series? Being that little bit larger makes for some excellent detail

• Like 1

Very occasionally eBay produces the goods. The photos was quite dark but I decided to take a punt and I'm pleased I did, Middlesex DH801

20230927_140724.jpg

20230927_140938.jpg

• Like 2