British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Yes, it's too good to be anything but a modern repro.

Funny though. I started to look at the Swedish takeover of Latvia and the locals quite enjoyed what the Swedes brought to them.

So much so they have a current 10,000 signature protest going on asking them to invade again.😃

Not so sure about some of the signer's. Barack Obama has put his weight behind them!

7 hours ago, Danelaw said:

Funny though. I started to look at the Swedish takeover of Latvia and the locals quite enjoyed what the Swedes brought to them.

So much so they have a current 10,000 signature protest going on asking them to invade again.😃

Not so sure about some of the signer's. Barack Obama has put his weight behind them!

Who is Barack Obama?

• Confused 1

On 1/19/2020 at 9:39 PM, RLC35 said:

Who is Barack Obama?

The last person to be President of the United States (I'm not counting Krusty the Clown).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paulus said:

Upgrade just landed

1795_hp_middlesex_eaton_dh_301_03_ref_01980_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

Thomas Paine's printer in London ! I'm rather amazed this hasn't got a US premium attached to it yet. Nice example. 

21 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

The last person to be President of the United States (I'm not counting Krusty the Clown).

Trump makes Diane Abbott look like Stephen Hawking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JLS said:

Thomas Paine's printer in London ! I'm rather amazed this hasn't got a US premium attached to it yet. Nice example. 

Thanks for that, I didn't know of the connection :)

29 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Thanks for that, I didn't know of the connection :)

The other interesting fact I know about it is that the reverse design tells you where to get it redeemed ! Eaton's publishing house was based at the Cock and Swine, 74 Newgate Street, sadly long demolished. If you're interested in more about Eaton, there's a lot of academic literature which discusses his activities as his friends and clients were basically a who's-who of the radical political scene of 1790s London.

Here's the front page of Eaton's edition of the Rights of Man, for reference, where he's "Citizen Daniel Isaac Eaton, Printer to the Supreme Majesty of the People". 

rightsofman.JPG.e26e0b1b6a2b5da3ddb0091c12078847.JPG

• Like 3

What a great post. Some people would look at that as just a coin. 

Social history in a nutshell!

7 hours ago, JLS said:

The other interesting fact I know about it is that the reverse design tells you where to get it redeemed ! Eaton's publishing house was based at the Cock and Swine, 74 Newgate Street, sadly long demolished. If you're interested in more about Eaton, there's a lot of academic literature which discusses his activities as his friends and clients were basically a who's-who of the radical political scene of 1790s London.

Here's the front page of Eaton's edition of the Rights of Man, for reference, where he's "Citizen Daniel Isaac Eaton, Printer to the Supreme Majesty of the People". 

So the printer was Eaton but the portrait is Thomas Paine?

18 hours ago, Paulus said:

Upgrade just landed

1795_hp_middlesex_eaton_dh_301_03_ref_01980_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

Nice design.

Didn't realise just how much craft went into unofficial stuff like this before I saw this thread.

11 hours ago, Paulus said:

So the printer was Eaton but the portrait is Thomas Paine?

No, the portrait is definitely of Eaton with that high forehead. "Frangas non Flectes" was Eaton's personal motto too. Compare this illustration: Daniel_Isaac_Eaton_by_William_Sharp,_aft

The connection with Paine is tangential but interesting. 

11 hours ago, Danelaw said:

What a great post. Some people would look at that as just a coin. 

Social history in a nutshell!

This is why Peter Withers is always saying that owning a token without researching it is a bit like owning a book without reading it...you can spend hours and hours on some of these pieces. 

• Like 2

A recent purchase from eBay. 25mm X 21mm. In lead. Closest I can find via Google is a 'General Fairfax medal ' in gold, held at the British Museum. No sign of a suspension loop on this piece tho.

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_211733951_crop_2955x3565-600x724.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200122_212134049_crop_2923x3629-600x745.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

A recent purchase from eBay. 25mm X 21mm. In lead. Closest I can find via Google is a 'General Fairfax medal ' in gold, held at the British Museum. No sign of a suspension loop on this piece tho.

There were three of these in the Murdoch sale (Sotheby 1904), see the attached excerpt from the catalog with a full attribution. None in lead, could possibly be an 18th or 19th century imitation as is common with Civil War medals, especially given the lack of provenance. murdoch.thumb.JPG.bd2680412bbce210e9d0a0f8de0e6725.JPG

Not sure if these belong in my advertising token or French collection !

It was illegal at this point to counterstamp regal coinage, hence the use of French 10 centime pieces. The left countermark dates from 1884 according to Withers. 

ads.thumb.JPG.e1797ef1f4e254ae7e56435a0847e3ff.JPG

23 hours ago, Zo Arms said:

Interesting piece ! its definitely not one of Thomas Simons examples , its too crude but its very intriguing.

8 minutes ago, mhcoins said:

Interesting piece ! its definitely not one of Thomas Simons examples , its too crude but its very intriguing.

I'd be interested for my civil war collection, if you would be willing to sell it on 

Edited by mhcoins

5 hours ago, JLS said:

There were three of these in the Murdoch sale (Sotheby 1904), see the attached excerpt from the catalog with a full attribution. None in lead, could possibly be an 18th or 19th century imitation as is common with Civil War medals, especially given the lack of provenance. murdoch.thumb.JPG.bd2680412bbce210e9d0a0f8de0e6725.JPG

I think you're right. An imitation. The central legend on mine has a stop after R. The real thing has a stop immediately before the R.

A lead copy of a gold medal from 1645. The copyist must have had access to the real one at some point to know what he was replicating.

Am I allowed to post the screenshot of the British museum medal?

Bob.

A rarity for the unofficial farthing collection I picked up earlier this week. 

Theobaldmathew.JPG

theobaldmathew2.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

Recent acquisition (farthing)

1794_fa_somerset_bath_dh_115_01_ref_01998_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

I love the fact that on yours the date is readable ! On my example (similar grade) it's too weakly struck to be clear. 

Think it was probably an afterthought by the engravers...or they just didn't leave enough space and then panicked because their punches were too large ??

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 9:42 PM, mhcoins said:

I'd be interested for my civil war collection, if you would be willing to sell it on 

It's yours Sir, if you'd care to message me.

Bob.

• Like 1