British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

On 11/26/2019 at 10:12 PM, JLS said:

I wonder if it was produced as a "general" Scottish token

Yes it could well of been, strange how there's no legends at all though. The nearest to the reverse I can find is Caverhill W7070, obviously different though

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

Love the portrait

It is yes, just seems odd with Victoria facing the wrong way!

44 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Yes it could well of been, strange how there's no legends at all though. The nearest to the reverse I can find is Caverhill W7070, obviously different though

It is yes, just seems odd with Victoria facing the wrong way!

Despite the obvious assumption people would make; with no legend, there is nothing to indicate it portrays Victoria on the obverse. The reverse could just as easily be part of a campaign to ban men in cloaks. :ph34r:

St. Andrew's Day commemorative medallion, issued in association with a religious get together? There is a large number of tokens/medallions extant whose raison d'etre is a complete mystery to all bar a few. This would easily fit into that category in the absence of any documentation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob said:

This would easily fit into that category in the absence of any documentation

That's the trouble, can't find anything on it! Will put it in the 'unusual' section of my collection 

• Like 1

Suffolk D&H15....excellent condition bought simply for the design, just love the hat. 

20191225_120832.jpg

• Like 3

And the reverse....

20191225_120734.jpg

• Like 1

Yes these are great, I have one - also love the Tudor garb!

1796_1d_suffolk_woodbridge_dh_15_ref_01625_01_2400.jpg

• Like 3

Thought I'd share this token with you. Won on eBay just before Christmas. Just arrived.

Very pleased with the detail on the emu. Circa 1860 I think. And quite scarce?

WP_20200104_01_23_06_Pro-1280x720.jpg

WP_20200104_01_23_28_Pro-1280x720.jpg

• Like 5

In many Australian country towns the original business name is still on the building. I do not know if the Rockhampton (Rockie) building still exists but it would be interesting to find out. I doubt if the Brisbane building still exists as there has been much redevelopment over time. This may help. According to tis link the business still exists.

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2474

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 1

This is from Andrews' Australasian Tokens & Coins, but no indication as to rarity that I can see.

I've got a couple of the Annand Smith & Co. tokens as they were one of Heaton's first issues. 

Stewart & Hemmant.JPG

H&S (Heaton & Son) replaces SOHO:

Annand Smith & Co 1d (3).jpg

11 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

H&S (Heaton & Son) replaces SOHO:

Annand Smith & Co 1d (3).jpg

So two questions for me are: 1. is it a penny (based on the position of the middle prong on the trident and the N)? 2. Is the reverse die a copy of the Soho Britannia , or a modified Soho die sold by Taylor to Heaton. As Taylor acquired the tub of dies at the Soho auction following its closure in 1848, the options are it must have come from him after 1860, or undocumented dies must have left Soho before closure, or a second lot of dies was obtained by Heaton at the auction. Given Taylor was also striking tokens for various people, it would be surprising if he passed work on to a competitor, including the supply of dies.

And as an afterthought - is the edge plain?

• Like 2

1. Yes, a penny.

2. As far as I understand it, Annand Smith & Co first issued their copper tokens on October 20th 1849. The original order was from the SOHO mint (SOHO had been removed - picture). Subsequent orders were from Heatons and made from modified dies obtained from the auction of SOHO's bits and pieces.

Sweeney notes: "These tokens involved a reverse die that had been used by Boulton & Watt for Imperial pence back in 1806-7, a die that originally had the SOHO mark of the Boulton mint at the base of the Britannia design below the shield. It was a simple change for Heatons to make (involving an interesting coincidence of letters) to eradicate the SOHO mark and replace it with their own - an H&S for Heaton & Son."

And yes - plain edge.

Annand Smith Soho issue.jpg

Edited by mrbadexample

A possibility?

SOHO auction.jpeg

SOHO auction 3.jpg

• Like 1

That's certainly the catalogue of the sale.

The last looks like the lot of dies purchased by Taylor. The question is whether there was a second tub of dies which were acquired by Heaton which included the 1806 reverse. We know that Taylor acquired dies of virtually every issue recorded by Peck at Soho, but more important is whether these were the only dies in the sale. I don't have the catalogue.

Another bit from Sweeney, after he records the purchases of the presses, says: "Certain additional equipment (engine, shafting and sundry machinery) was thereafter procured from Joseph Taylor, whose firm is known today as Taylor and Challen."

Perhaps he did manage to acquire them from Taylor at some point, if not from the sale.

13 hours ago, ozjohn said:

In many Australian country towns the original business name is still on the building. I do not know if the Rockhampton (Rockie) building still exists but it would be interesting to find out. I doubt if the Brisbane building still exists as there has been much redevelopment over time. This may help. According to tis link the business still exists.

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/articles/2474

Yes they do (*edit* at least they've been in the current position for a long-long time.   Early buildings were sometime relocated, even if just slightly.  There are some Rocky historical groups on FaceBook that would be worth joinging if you're keen).

In the below video the Criterion (the 'Cri) is the white building in the middle of the frame at 1:33.

Stewarts is the building behind the post office (with the clock tower) at 2:15 and you can see the name on the building at various times.

cheers

Edited by Garrett
  • Like 2

Stewarts probably looked more like this around the time of the token.

still the same corner though I believe (Denham and East).

original Stewarts.jpg

Edited by Garrett
  • Like 2

Odd find really. I was emptying some rubbish into a skip..and this was on the floor next to it.

I think some sort of token? Any help out there?

349316527_token3.jpeg.301307a0bf1499e6193663e352914628.jpeg472016945_token1a.jpg.85b89bb2bdc367d53eeee7604a4585d5.jpg

Swedish occupation money in Latvia (Livonia). If it's real, it is tha best I've ever seen so maybe repro. Originals were in billon

• Like 1

First side appears to read "Moneta Revalie" and the second "Magistri Livonie". I had a look through Livonia coins on Numista  and came up with this:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces156067.html

"Modern copy of coin from Livonian order Reval. Tallinn."

• Like 1