British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

13 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

Is that shilling sized?

It's 22mm diameter so as good as, like you say the spade Guinea types are very inaccurate but this one (like my others) is about the thickness of a shilling too. I've not seen this design before and need to do some research, the portrait of the king isn't an exact match to my others but is very, very close so possibly a different maker

34 minutes ago, will1976 said:

It's 22mm diameter so as good as, like you say the spade Guinea types are very inaccurate but this one (like my others) is about the thickness of a shilling too. I've not seen this design before and need to do some research, the portrait of the king isn't an exact match to my others but is very, very close so possibly a different maker

the obverse portrait is almost exactly the Wyon portrait.

My other examples are by the die sinker T.W. Ingram, I'll put a picture up tomorrow of this one and an Ingram piece side by side for comparison 

The token on the right is the Ingram piece, the main difference is the hair curls on the top of the head

20191116_131729.jpg

4 hours ago, will1976 said:

The token on the right is the Ingram piece, the main difference is the hair curls on the top of the head

That's a pretty good copy - you can see that it's "just" wrong enough (though only slightly) not to have been taken from a cast made from a genuine coin.

• Like 1

My first what I would call 'passable' George I farthing

1719_fa_01_ref_01923_02_sellers_the_coin_king.jpg

• Like 7

On 11/16/2019 at 2:20 PM, will1976 said:

20191116_131729.jpg

From my junk drawer so to speak, the following two pieces with similar psuedo-Wyon busts: both by Kettle and Son, Birmingham presumably, based on style - note that they are definitely by the same manufacturer as the same defective E punch has been used in the name of GEORGE. I may well have others lying around somewhere...

00000georgie1.JPG.b4a0302723f075e34b45ec09e9ed53e1.JPG00000georgie2.JPG.53210d1e28a599e2f03736c17900bc87.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JLS said:

: both by Kettle and Son, Birmingham presumably

I don't have any (identified) Kettle pieces....what are the reverse designs? 

2 hours ago, will1976 said:

I don't have any (identified) Kettle pieces....what are the reverse designs? 

Like so. I believe these are Kettle pieces as another one of the "Beloved and Lamented" pieces (BHM 1379) is signed KETTLE under the bust. These came from a bulk lot a while back at Lockdales. 

kettlerev2.JPG.1fbd4eac569c61a5c295fa033c68c787.JPGkettlerev1.JPG.e3e1cd53d23260386b1b011723ae4241.JPG

• Like 1

Just 7 Kempson's Birmingham Buildings to go! Prices are getting higher every week it seems ... latest addition

1797_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_meeting_paradise_street_erected_dh_167_02_ref_01933_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

Just 7 Kempson's Birmingham Buildings to go!

Well done! I did have a bid on it but was nowhere near, wrong time of the month for me. It's one from the DNW sale 3rd of Oct, I'm keeping an eye out for some of the others in that group

9 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Well done! I did have a bid on it but was nowhere near, wrong time of the month for me. It's one from the DNW sale 3rd of Oct, I'm keeping an eye out for some of the others in that group

Thanks Will, I know there are some we are both still after!

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

there are some we are both still after!

We'll get there..........eventually! 

On 11/18/2019 at 11:21 PM, Paulus said:

My first what I would call 'passable' George I farthing

1719_fa_01_ref_01923_02_sellers_the_coin_king.jpg

@PeterI would value your opinion?

• Like 2

George i farthings are dificult in nice grades

I also have one of these George IV tokens. Thought they were listed in BHM, but wrong.  The ones described above as not being Ingram usually have a stop after BRITAIN.

4457-horz.jpg

Edited by bagerap
Spelling

A new farthing token arrived today, I would welcome thoughts/ideas on the portrait (right facing for Victoria) and if members agree with me that it's the same die used as the unofficial farthing of G.Browne. Also thoughts on the reverse, is it St Andrew? Thank you all

20191126_150252.jpg

20191126_150343.jpg

And the picture to compare portraits.....

20191126_151039.jpg

• Like 2

The portraits certainly look very similar - maybe a slight difference at the base of the bust? That may be to do with the removal or addition of the Pinches logo.

Reverse definitely looks to be St Andrew - the X shaped cross along with the thistles in the wreathes look conclusive.

Nice token!

It is St. Andrew, as per the D&H description on my Edinburgh token here 

1790_hp_lothian_edinburgh_dh_23_ref_01752_01_sellers_druids_revenge_02.jpg

Obverse: St. Andrew with his cross between thistles.

8 minutes ago, Paddy said:

The portraits certainly look very similar

Yes that was my thought too, the curls at the back of Victoria's hair are slightly different too but I think that's because the pinches piece isn't fully struck up

7 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Obverse: St. Andrew with his cross between thistles.

Thank you Paul 👍🏻

6 hours ago, will1976 said:

And the picture to compare portraits.....

20191126_151039.jpg

Interesting piece. I wonder if it was produced as a "general" Scottish token analogous to the anonymous Glasgow issue (W7450). Don't have an example of this myself. 

Love the portrait

Had her...