British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

I still prefer a camera for imaging any type of coin. A scanner offers you no variables - it either takes a decent image or it doesn't, whereas with a camera it's just a case of experimentation with lighting, setup etc to arrive at an acceptable image.

That is the kind of uncertainty I want to avoid. I need reproducable and stable results under constantly the same conditions in order to have the possibility to compare.

The easiest and cheapest way to achieve that is a scanner ;)

I only had to find a setup that I like once. I now use the same setup for all coin images and therefore have reproducible and comparable results.

How do you cope with differences in toning? Some can be nearly black, whereas others have none.

Simply look at the pictures I posted in this topic. :) You will find toned coins posted as well

In addition to that you can enhance the saturation of the toning with useful tools like photoshop. So you can adjust the appearance of a rainbow toning if necessary

I still prefer a camera for imaging any type of coin. A scanner offers you no variables - it either takes a decent image or it doesn't, whereas with a camera it's just a case of experimentation with lighting, setup etc to arrive at an acceptable image.

That is the kind of uncertainty I want to avoid. I need reproducable and stable results under constantly the same conditions in order to have the possibility to compare.

The easiest and cheapest way to achieve that is a scanner ;)

I only had to find a setup that I like once. I now use the same setup for all coin images and therefore have reproducible and comparable results.

How do you cope with differences in toning? Some can be nearly black, whereas others have none.

My only objective is to capture accurately how a coin looks, so a darkly toned coin should look darker than one that is not. But, having said that, the camera is still mostly in charge of exposure, so a darker coin will need a longer shutter time to gather the necessary amount of light and this will vary from coin to coin.

I should also say, that there is no post-processing in any of my pictures, other than to remove the background.

Edited by Nick

As long as you do not alter details of the coins in respect to the rest of the coin you are fine. Light exposure and angle of illumination is the same for a scanner. And a scanner is very accurate in showing the features of the coins surface

Surely we all want to have a coin looking its best for selling or ones personal enjoyment.?

Surely we all want to have a coin looking its best for selling or ones personal enjoyment.?

I don't think anyone will argue with that. The question is how?

Edited by Rob

1797 Norfolk/Norwich Penny token, D&H 3

Scarce (75-150 struck)

1797_Norfolk_Norwich_DH3_Penny_NGC_MS65B

1797_Norfolk_Norwich_DH3_Penny_NGC_MS65B

I have the information now:

Well... I have an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo at home. It is possible to take scans with a resolution up to 12,800 dpi, but it would take around one hour to perform a scan. Usually I scan in with a resolution of 2,400 dpi. Scans are subsequently processed with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 :)

Well... I have an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo at home. It is possible to take scans with a resolution up to 12,800 dpi, but it would take around one hour to perform a scan. Usually I scan in with a resolution of 2,400 dpi. Scans are subsequently processed with Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 :)

An hour???!!!!! Heavens to Betsy! I have never scanned a coin so I have no idea ... does 2,400 dpi take 1/5th of that time then - 10-12 minutes??

I'd say no as, if the plan is to sell it, you could have problems and, if it's for your own pleasure, can you really kid yourself...you have the coin????

Edit: from the perspective of over-cooking the image I mean...and that's hard to avoid, to discipline yourself too!

Edited by Coinery

An hour???!!!!! Heavens to Betsy! I have never scanned a coin so I have no idea ... does 2,400 dpi take 1/5th of that time then - 10-12 minutes??

Well... the scan process at 12,800 itself would not take one hour, but the computer has to calculate the result afterwards. The amount of information would be as enormous as a Brontosaurus... :lol:

Scanning & calculating of both coin sides at 2,400 dpi takes 5 minutes depending on the coin size and the calculating computer.

I'd say no as, if the plan is to sell it, you could have problems and, if it's for your own pleasure, can you really kid yourself...you have the coin????

Edit: from the perspective of over-cooking the image I mean...and that's hard to avoid, to discipline yourself too!

Stuart

I have bought many coins on a picture and when received I have been pleasantly surprised.

Some ebay sellers and dealers pictures are rubbish.This I have taken to my advantage.(especially in years gone by).

On Ebay Lucido is a classic example where punters lap up his coins as they are cleverly pictured.(perched on a finger :o at an angle) Grades are sometimes clearly over stepped but coins still sell for a premium.

If you picture a farthing blown up to dinner plate size (aka Dave ;)) the buyer will no doubt love his 22mm copper disc when it arrives...horses for courses.

ChKy, what settings do you apply in Elements 5? I have Elements 6 and Photoshop CS2 so I should be able to reproduce what you do post-scan.

Paulus, my 1200 dpi scan takes about 5 minutes, but then it's using USB1 so no wonder. :D Unfortunately, the results are always rather flat despite going for the 'Colour Photo' setting. One reason my pictures here are so bad is that often I'm using the old scans I did for my database, which were @ 300 dpi (about life size or a bit bigger). When they are doubled in size in Photoshop, it really does them no favours at all.

@Peckris

What do you mean with settings? Post-scan I might adjust brightness and contrast, sharpness and the depth of color...

By the way, using a scanner and Photoshop it is possible to show even this:

05Shilling1953_zpscdb2cc5c.jpg

05Shilling1953-Randschrift_zpsc74758cb.j

Stuart

I have bought many coins on a picture and when received I have been pleasantly surprised.

Some ebay sellers and dealers pictures are rubbish.This I have taken to my advantage.(especially in years gone by).

On Ebay Lucido is a classic example where punters lap up his coins as they are cleverly pictured.(perched on a finger :o at an angle) Grades are sometimes clearly over stepped but coins still sell for a premium.

If you picture a farthing blown up to dinner plate size (aka Dave ;)) the buyer will no doubt love his 22mm copper disc when it arrives...horses for courses.

What I'm saying is, if you take a beauty of an image, you can sometimes be disappointed by the actual item when you come to browse it!

I've taken some images of E &C1 coins before and, after processing them, have had to go back to them and tone them down, as they were prettier than the coins themselves, which I didn't want...I wanted to be able to look at my image-collection, and not be in the least bit disappointed when I flipped open the album! :)

@Peckris

What do you mean with settings? Post-scan I might adjust brightness and contrast, sharpness and the depth of color...

How on earth did you manage to scan the edge? :o

@Peckris

i was going to ask the same thing :P some sort of panoramic camera feature maybe?

@Peckris

Now that is clever!

I find this topic interesting, but would you guys mind creating a new thread to post all of this discussion. Not only is it off topic, but no one in the future is going to think to look in a "post your copper coins" thread for photography/scanner discussion.

I find this topic interesting, but would you guys mind creating a new thread to post all of this discussion. Not only is it off topic, but no one in the future is going to think to look in a "post your copper coins" thread for photography/scanner discussion.

You are right! We should either split that discussion into a second thread or you guys may contact me and discuss your issues via PM.

But so far I want to answer the previous questions...

Well, for showing the edge with a scanner you need a lot of patience and you have to perform a lot of work. That image a the edge took me three dozens of single scans plus three additional hours of puzzling the single images into that big one...

New topic 'Scanning and Photography' started as requested

New topic 'Scanning and Photography' started as requested

Then please transfer the interesting post, please ;)

FYI - we ALWAYS go 'off topic', it's one of the endearing features of this site. However, I see someone has created a new topic.. :P

@Peckris

Now that is clever!
Would be a great idea for the edge of ANY milled coin, especially the more valuable coins you were either selling or buying?