British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

in case anyone is interested in Tokens ;)

I found these fabulous items on the German eBay web page:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/221453287463?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.de/itm/221453290100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

These tokens are not within my focus (and I am not the seller)

Cheers

Edited by ChKy

Interesting token, what did W Williams of London deal in ?

William Williams’ London (Middlesex) copper Conder halfpenny token dated 1795. Obverse: The arms of the City of London with legend: “FEAR GOD AND HONOUR THE KING 1795”. Reverse: A portcullis surmounted by the Prince of Wales’ crest with legend: “W. WILLIAMS LONDON”, “RENDER TO CAESAR THE THINGS THAT ARE CAESAR’S”. Plain edge. Issued by William Williams who was originally a grinder and latterly a button manufacturer with a business at 103 St. Martin’s Lane, Charing Cross, London. It is thought he was Welsh by the inclusion of the Prince of Wales’ crest.

I had one of those which sold for Pence..funny old world.

I bought a gun money shilling from a dealer who sold a bloody Puffin coin for x 3.

I still sweep Euro and US sites...which haven't got a clue....my other hunting ground is the Midland.

Trouble is I take the family and Dinner and Breckie plus they insist on a hotel with pool.

The Lada only does 22mpg :rolleyes:

William Williams’ London (Middlesex) copper Conder halfpenny token dated 1795. Obverse: The arms of the City of London with legend: “FEAR GOD AND HONOUR THE KING 1795”. Reverse: A portcullis surmounted by the Prince of Wales’ crest with legend: “W. WILLIAMS LONDON”, “RENDER TO CAESAR THE THINGS THAT ARE CAESAR’S”. Plain edge. Issued by William Williams who was originally a grinder and latterly a button manufacturer with a business at 103 St. Martin’s Lane, Charing Cross, London. It is thought he was Welsh by the inclusion of the Prince of Wales’ crest.

I wonder if it's also a subliminal message to the future George IV, Prince of Wales in 1795 and already a 'bad sort'? HONOUR THE KING and RENDER TO CAESAR seems like a pretty clear advice for a wayward Prince.

1026541.jpg

had this a while, love the colour

1026444.jpg

speaking of middlesex series :D, obtained this one recently

I wonder if it's also a subliminal message to the future George IV, Prince of Wales in 1795 and already a 'bad sort'? HONOUR THE KING and RENDER TO CAESAR seems like a pretty clear advice for a wayward Prince.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honour

1765-1795...4o years wonder when the word honvor first appear in token,i think it is british word,not latin or french like honor.

Edited by josie

1765-1795...4o years wonder when the word honvor first appear in token,i think it is british word,not latin or french like honor.

Not a 'British' word, more a Norman medieval scribes' word, as they tried to make sense of marrying a basically Latin/French system of words to an existing Anglo-Saxon (Germanic/Norse) system.

Not a 'British' word, more a Norman medieval scribes' word, as they tried to make sense of marrying a basically Latin/French system of words to an existing Anglo-Saxon (Germanic/Norse) system.

Thanks for the lead,that mvst be one episode or program on start of early english langvage,good history...that far thanks.

http://en.wikipedia....nglish_language

Nice token.

Edited by josie

I photographed a few coins for a good friend, and this one was among them. It's a lovely lustrous early US half cent.

1832_Half_Cent_composite_white_zps8b54ad

• Like 1

Brandon

That could have a home at Peter Towers.

It would tick the box on half cents.

Ill give nearest coin to face... farthing do?

Ooh no, that BU 1874H both Gs over might be worth hanging on to..?

1027232.jpg

1027234.jpg

Barbados penny 1788

Edited by scott

I wish that half cent were mine. It was only visiting me for a couple days for photographs. It's a bit out of my normal coin budget range for the $1,500-2,000 or so it goes for nowadays in that grade. :blink:

The competition for nice USA early copper is vicious -- I'll stick with the esoteric private token issues and other non-USA copper -- where I can still get a nearly-FDC example for $250 from the 1790s. :)

Edited by brg5658

yea, I was surprised when looking up those tokens at the prices asked.

Don't think I have a half cent,although only realistic place is Ebay, and the Americans buy up all the decent stuff, its like getting Russian coinage.

Horses for courses as said before. If you want something badly enough you will save the money elsewhere, dig deep and take the plunge.

Edited by Rob

I finally added the 1852 and 1854 Upper Canada halfpennies to my collection. Still looking for a nice example of the 1850. These match nicely the 1857 halfpenny I picked up last year. Having only been issued for 4 years, it's a nice small set of halfpennies I hope to complete.

1852_UpperCanada_HalfPenny_NGC_MS64BN_co

1854_UpperCanada_Halfpenny_NGC_MS63BN_co

• Like 3

Goodness, beautiful and stunning !

A nice cupric Duit 1746 (coat of arms of the Province of Holland) issued by the Dutch East India Company. Found that coin for 2 Euro a few years ago...

01Duit1746-Holland_zpse083b881.jpg

Picked up this 1919 penny. Sorry for the quality of the pictures -- the slab is scratched all to heck.

1919_UK_1Penny_NGC_MS64BN_composite_no_l

• Like 1

Luxembourg 10 Centimes 1865 has been imported by traders into & used in the United Kingdom as Penny tokens alike the so called French Pennies.

10Centimes1865_zpsbb516900.jpg