British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

And two more from the same source (just finished photographing them). :)

The Anglesey - Druid Parys Mine Company pieces were the very first tokens to surface in 1787 (as pennies), and the quality and usefulness of them was quickly recognized. The Wikipedia Article has more information on these (and pictures another Druid token that is in my collection -- I try to contribute images to WIkipedia when I can).

1788_Anglesey_DH282_NGC_MS64BN_composite

Below is one of my all time favorite numismatic items. It is listed as "Scarce" in Dalton and Hamer with an estimated production of likely between 200-300 pieces (possibly as many as 400). This example below is my 4th example in uncirculated condition. I have a bit of a hoard going... ;)

1790_DH342_Ibberson_exYarm_NGC_MS65BN_co

Edited by brg5658
  • Like 1

A new 1790 Conder (provincial) halfpenny token. Interesting clash on the obverse around the date, and the detail of the engraving is just stunning. I also love the toning on the reverse of the token, lovely hints of original red and some mellowing. I'm also attaching a close up image of some of the obverse detail of the reclining shepherd.

1790_Worces_DH8b_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zp

1790_Worces_DH8b_NGC_MS65BN_obv_closeup_

One would like to feel, Dudley being not far from the Soho Works, that M. Boulton had at least a hand in this one. Could 'JAMES' on the reverse refer to Mr Watt, I wonder?

A new 1790 Conder (provincial) halfpenny token. Interesting clash on the obverse around the date, and the detail of the engraving is just stunning. I also love the toning on the reverse of the token, lovely hints of original red and some mellowing. I'm also attaching a close up image of some of the obverse detail of the reclining shepherd.

1790_Worces_DH8b_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zp

1790_Worces_DH8b_NGC_MS65BN_obv_closeup_

One would like to feel, Dudley being not far from the Soho Works, that M. Boulton had at least a hand in this one. Could 'JAMES' on the reverse refer to Mr Watt, I wonder?

Nope, it has nothing to do with either Boulton or Watt. The token was designed and manufactured by Charles James in London.

Very nice tokens BRG.

But how come St George is always slaying a little dragon ?? ha ha

1025045.jpg

if you are going to make a coin die... at least put the As and V's on the correct side >.>

1025010.jpg

and a regional coronation medal (and yes I know exactly where)

Not British, but I have always liked this Italian design:

1911_Italy_10C_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zpsb

1025513.jpg

i'll just throw this in

Dammit scott, you should have been Ernie Wise.. :D

Some Pennies I was given by a friend, I'm not really hot on varieties ect so if you do notice one please let me know :/

post-8096-0-92490000-1399821251_thumb.jppost-8096-0-13527000-1399821253_thumb.jp

Edited by Asumel

Sorry to say they are all scrap coins.

Really? I know there is wear on them but I didn't think there was enough to call them scrap coins?

Really? I know there is wear on them but I didn't think there was enough to call them scrap coins?

If pulled from change in the 1960s, they would all be roughly in that condition, and would have been described then as "average circulated". Sorry.

If pulled from change in the 1960s, they would all be roughly in that condition, and would have been described then as "average circulated". Sorry.

Ah well, they were a gift and fill the gaps in a very small collection. I was quite excited about them, a little less now :/

Ah well, they were a gift and fill the gaps in a very small collection. I was quite excited about them, a little less now :/

Awww. Well, if it's any consolation at all, we've all been there. All of us. No exceptions. I remember when I got my first UNC George V coin, I was so so pleased with it (still am, still got it :) ). So I make the toast to you that all coin collectors are happy to hear : a long life and happy collecting.

• Like 1

Awww. Well, if it's any consolation at all, we've all been there. All of us. No exceptions. I remember when I got my first UNC George V coin, I was so so pleased with it (still am, still got it :) ). So I make the toast to you that all coin collectors are happy to hear : a long life and happy collecting.

Thanks, I have regained my excitement for them as I have been adding them to the collection, they are, as many have said on here " the best examples you can afford" (being free and me being poor currently). I look forward to upgrading them when I get the chance to.

I do have to pose a question, I could be wrong with this but surely even low grade coins such as these shouldn't be considered scrap? Surely, like with me they are of value to people are starting off and received them from friends and relatives to start their collection, as incentives for the hobby and upgrading eventually?

I think what was meant by scrap was that the cost of them is equal too, if not lower than scrap "value" as opposed to being worthless chunks of metal that are no use to anyone.

What you have are nice but inexpensive coins, but don't let that detract from it - Peck makes an excellent point here.

I think what was meant by scrap was that the cost of them is equal too, if not lower than scrap "value" as opposed to being worthless chunks of metal that are no use to anyone.

What you have are nice but inexpensive coins, but don't let that detract from it - Peck makes an excellent point here.

Ah I see, that was my misunderstanding there :)