British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

FEUARDENT F1788 Royal Auditors 1603 (Henri IV)

1603RoyalAuditors.jpg

"Apollo & Diana as children on the Island of Delos"

"Arms of Henri IV King of France & Navarre"

Just love these designs cheesy.gif

The rise & fall of Napoleon III

These two medals say it all

NapoleonIII.jpg

Elected Emperor (really a Coup d'Etat) in 1852, and disgraced after his surrender at Sedan in 1870

David

Well, it is copper. 30.5 mm and 10.9g. The soft focus is because it's in a slab. At the moment .. ;)

KMY6Venezuela1CentavoP_zpsc3973f28.jpg

where you getting those early french jetons.

Top one CGB, the lower Ebay

what category are those jetons in on ebay, I never see them :(

Edited by scott

what category are those jetons in on ebay, I never see them :(

Search for Jeton in Coins, but tick the "worldwide" box rather than the default "on Ebay UK"

As always you need to scroll through the dross, plus the silly BINs at v.high prices - CGB Jetons archive is good place to check value - search by date if there is one, or by a key word in the legend

alright thanks, this is the only really old one i own, found on ebay many many moons ago

975762.jpg

hehe just grabbed a silver one with a bit of damage for £16. which i found on ebay UK.... lol

Edited by scott

Hi all, not mine (yet) but as a Dorset lad I'm interested. Could I ask your views on the below

and what sort of price you think is reasonable:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/291087326104?nav=SEARCH

Hi there. The Dorsetshire DH-6 is a common token, but even common tokens in very nice condition have decent value. That token looks to have nice original surfaces, some remaining red, and only one slight (not distracting at all) spot on the obverse toward the right rim. The strike is very good, and the details are splendid. In the condition posted, I would put it's reasonable value at £30 or so. At £20 I would call it a very good deal, but over £40 I would call a strong price for such a common token. Hope this helps!

Yes really helpful - thanks. I've seen a few before but this was the best I'd seen to date. I'm quite interested in our local tokens and know there's others from Sherborne and Shaftesbury and more still. Are there any decent books on tokens you'd advise? Cheers

Yes really helpful - thanks. I've seen a few before but this was the best I'd seen to date. I'm quite interested in our local tokens and know there's others from Sherborne and Shaftesbury and more still. Are there any decent books on tokens you'd advise? Cheers

For the "Conder era" tokens from 1787-1804 (or so), the Dalton and Hamer reference is the standard work. It is available in its entirety online at this link. For the tokens from the 1811-1820 era, the standard reference work is the Paul and Bente Withers book (which is a little spendy, but very well put together). You might be able to find a copy at a larger library in the UK. Otherwise, the link above goes to the website to order directly from Paul and Bente (I ordered my copy from their site, and they were nice enough to entertain my request to have it autographed in the front cover). :)

Some other references for tokens of the time are the works by R. C. Bell. For example, here, and here, and here. ;)

Hi, I was successful and got it at the £19.99 price so well chuffed - thanks for your support. I've started goin through those links as well - thanks again for those, there are also some nice looking tokens from Dorset so I'll enjoy keeping an eye out for those.

Edited by richtips86

couple of medals

1024557.jpg

1024558.jpg

know nothing about the top one though.

The top one may have been awarded to Jimi Hendrix in 1970?

ROFL -- I was just trying to think up a post mentioning Hendrix, Dylan and The Who .. then I saw yours! :D

Another little oddity from me. An American Civil War token. I admit to knowing nothing about these, so don't now if they actually did circulate as 'money of necessity' (Brandon?) or were more of a statement of sentiment. But here it is. Copper. I believe Fuld ref 11/298 (though I am happy to be corrected). I presume 19mm and around 4.6g in line with the official cent of the time, though until it arrives I can't tell!

UnitedStatesCivilWarTokenArmyampNavy1863

Edited by TomGoodheart

Another little oddity from me. An American Civil War token. I admit to knowing nothing about these, so don't now if they actually did circulate as 'money of necessity' (Brandon?) or were more of a statement of sentiment. But here it is. Copper. I believe Fuld ref 11/298 (though I am happy to be corrected). I presume 19mm and around 4.6g in line with the official cent of the time, though until it arrives I can't tell!

UnitedStatesCivilWarTokenArmyampNavy1863

Hi there, yep, your attribution is correct (Fuld-11/298a; the "a" just means copper). The diameter of these is close to the small cent of the time (~ 19mm), but the weights are quite variable. Some are struck on very thin flans, and others on quite thick flans. This particular die pairing is listed in Fuld as "R1" rarity -- Common, more than 5,000 survive. The strike is deep and strong on your piece, and the surfaces look quite nice. :wub:

========================

Below is my F-12/297a -- very similar design to your token! :)

1863_F12-297a_CWT_NGC_MS65BN_composite.j

Nice colour on yours Brandon. And thanks for confirming the Fuld number. A whole new area for me and although I did think the token looked nice, it's always good to know I haven't totally wasted my money buying in a fit of n00b enthusiasm!

Some more early double tournois from France

Henri III 1588 T Nantes

CGKL751588Ta1NantesR4.jpg

Henri IV - but in the name of Charles X - rival claimant of the Catholic League. 1594 S Troyes

CGKL1501594STroyesR2jpg.jpg

David

and

Frederic Henri de Nassau - Feudal issue for Orange 1640

CGKL7781640b1OrangeR0.jpg

Nothing special, but I've decided to branch out from pennies slightly...I've gone for something that looks good but doesn't cost a fortune! It's also a short date range so a lot easier than the good old 1d.

post-8244-0-86284100-1395177800_thumb.jp

Nothing special, but I've decided to branch out from pennies slightly...I've gone for something that looks good but doesn't cost a fortune! It's also a short date range so a lot easier than the good old 1d.

Nice. Always check for the E/N in REGINA on them - they do go unnoticed sometimes.