British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

5 over a higher 5. Lustre is pinker than I've been able to capture in the photo.

12197732386_d72915a0a2_b.jpg

This is my first 'proper' attempt at a photo and not a very good one. Brightness and contrast altered in photoshop. Incidentally did a separate thread for photography get created in the end as I can't find it? Got my eye on a couple of lamps and would like your thoughts.

Lovely coin, and splendid images. Great representation of the luster! :)

I hope you all forgive me for posting another Civil War Token here. This one has some die clashing, which I thought was charming (others may find it a negative). A couple small spots on the reverse, but nothing that bothers or worries me. For those of you who are familiar with the official cent issues of 1863, this one is a pretty close knock-off (save the "NOT" one cent clarification, and the missing shield between the oak branches on the reverse). :D

1863 Civil War Patriotic Token, Fuld-69/369a, (NGC MS64BN; Rarity 3: < 2000 pieces).

1863_CWT_69-369a_NGC_MS64BN_obverse_zps3

1863_CWT_69-369a_NGC_MS64BN_reverse_zps0

I hope you all forgive me for posting another Civil War Token here. This one has some die clashing, which I thought was charming (others may find it a negative). A couple small spots on the reverse, but nothing that bothers or worries me. For those of you who are familiar with the official cent issues of 1863, this one is a pretty close knock-off (save the "NOT" one cent clarification, and the missing shield between the oak branches on the reverse). :D

1863 Civil War Patriotic Token, Fuld-69/369a, (NGC MS64BN; Rarity 3: < 2000 pieces).

1863_CWT_69-369a_NGC_MS64BN_obverse_zps3

1863_CWT_69-369a_NGC_MS64BN_reverse_zps0

Interesting look at the culture of the period, that looks a very 'white' bust in native dress?

Interesting look at the culture of the period, that looks a very 'white' bust in native dress?

The imagery is that of "Liberty wearing the headdress of a Native American". It is not supposed to be a depiction of a Native American.

The imagery is that of "Liberty wearing the headdress of a Native American". It is not supposed to be a depiction of a Native American.

Ah, of course, makes sense now! Whoops!

My new acquisition for January and she's gorgeous !

It's a 1714 farthing, from looking at London coins and the like I make it to be a Peck 741.

Looked at it a while before buying as it was a touch expensive. Also was concerned for a while about the damaged letting as it reminded me of the Northumberland Shilling fakes, but the letter oddities appear on other farthings I found on the net.

Britannia's face is interesting too, but it appears like that on a lot of these farthings from what I could find on the net.

Wikipedia says that Isaac Newton was in charge of the mint when these were produced.

My set of Anne coppers is now complete :P

post-8124-0-98098400-1391068169_thumb.jp

It's a 1714 farthing, from looking at London coins and the like I make it to be a Peck 741.

Looked at it a while before buying as it was a touch expensive. Also was concerned for a while about the damaged letting as it reminded me of the Northumberland Shilling fakes, but the letter oddities appear on other farthings I found on the net.

Britannia's face is interesting too, but it appears like that on a lot of these farthings from what I could find on the net.

Wikipedia says that Isaac Newton was in charge of the mint when these were produced.

Where did you get your P718,720 & 722? And the undated ones before P718?

ha ha - I hit post and I remembered hearing about some others.

Let's just say, complete as far as Spink is concerned :) The others can wait. Probably a long, long time.

having said that, if you have any of the others feel free to show us !

That's a beautiful coin Garrett!

I've not heard of these being faked, though, have you?

ha ha - I hit post and I remembered hearing about some others.

Let's just say, complete as far as Spink is concerned :) The others can wait. Probably a long, long time.

having said that, if you have any of the others feel free to show us !

http://www.colincooke.com/ go to collections and then Cooke (farthings) and Nicholson (halfpennies), for a somewhat lengthier list of Anne coppers. I could do the halfpennies, but might clog up the forum.

That's a gorgeous pattern. Lovely. I'm quite envious.

Very nice, thanks for sharing :)

The Anne 1/4D is one of the nicest I have seen.

Brandon's not one cent is also beautiful.

Thanks everyone !

Coinery - no I was not able to find any information either on the net or in Spink about these being faked (thank goodness), I just get a bit over-cautious !

Rob - that is a magnificent site and I have immediately bookmarked it ! It's nice how the provenance is given for some coins as far back as a hundred years. We are only caretakers of our coins in a way I guess.....

A couple of advertising tokens from coin dealers, no doubt Rob will have their catalogues on file :)

coindealers-1.jpg

Sadly no. Till's stock/collection was sold post-mortem in four parts at Sothebys on 6/1/1845, 28/7/1845, 20/4/1846 & 12/5/1846 plus the library went on 15/5/1846. Henry did not have an identifiable sale. It is on my list of catalogues to acquire.

A couple of advertising tokens from coin dealers, no doubt Rob will have their catalogues on file :)

Almost the numismatic equivalent of a business card. Very nice!

Yes nice tokens David !

Not much into tokens, but wouldn't mind those in my collection at all.

Do you have any other coin dealer tokens ?

Do you have any other coin dealer tokens ?

No, just these, no idea how many others are potentially out there

A little less than the normal quality I shoot for, but the strike more than makes up for it. This token usually comes very mushy, often one is not even able to distinguish the lamb from the lion on the reverse. This is one of the better strikes I have seen for the issue.

1794 Kent / Appledore Halfpenny, DH-3

1794_Kent_Appledore_DH3_NGC_MS63BN_obv_z

1794_Kent_Appledore_DH3_NGC_MS63BN_rev_z

We really do need a drool feature.

Although I don't hanker for tokens,Brandon's purchases do cut the mustard.

I can't help but lovingly them.Way out of my league.

I have a few home town tokens because I must. :)

Weird - there's also an Appledore in Devon (not a common name).

Weird - there's also an Appledore in Devon (not a common name).

Interesting. I know of Appledore in Kent first because of A.A. Milne's poem "The Knight Whose Armour Didn't Squeak" as a child. The main character therein is from Appledore in Kent.

So ever after, more and more,
The men of Kent would proudly speak
Of Thomas Tom of Appledore,
"The Knight Whose Armour Didn't Squeak."
--A.A. Milne

Unsurprisingly I was familiar with the Devon version for many years before I realised there was a second one.