British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

It seems there are a good number of copper lovers here. So, I hope it's okay if I start a thread where we can all post pictures of our favorite copper coins, tokens, or medals.

=======================

I will start with a Provincial Halfpenny Token issued in Yorkshire in 1791 (D&H 17). There is an interesting die chip in front of the horse's head, and a rather "cool" die crack on the reverse through the date and shield. A good amount of luster remains.

OBVERSE: The design is taken from the equestrian statue of William III standing near the south end of the Market Place. It was erected by public subscription in 1734, and was at first in a large square, but this took up too much space, and it was replaced by a close railing with four lamps placed around it. The statue was executed by Scheemaker. The pedestal bears the inscription: "This statue was erected in the year 1734 to the memory of King William III, our great deliverer." The legend around is "GULIELMUS TERTIUS REX." which translates at "King William the Third". The exergue bears the date "MDCLXXXIX" (1689) -- the year in which King William came to the throne.
REVERSE: The reverse presents the Arms of the town of Hull, originally known as Wyke-upon-Hull, and subsequently Kingstown, or Kingston-upon-Hull. The legend around is "Hull Halfpenny" and it bears the date of striking of 1791.
EDGE: The edge is stamped with the text "PAYABLE AT THE WAREHOUSE OF IONATHAN GARTON & CO". Garton and Shackles were linen drapers in the Market Place in Hull.

1791_Conder_Token_Yorkshire_obv_zps0ca6c

1791_Conder_Token_Yorkshire_rev_zpsd0ecd

Sadly I neglected both my sixpence tray and token tray, when I did my bulk scans a few years ago. I will have to remedy the token omission to post here, but I'm afraid I have to declare right here that most are not in the condition yours are.

Anyway, be patient - I WILL get around to it :)

1020011.jpg

faves you say, well i'll have a good look.

Edited by scott

Three tokens. "Obverse" :

post-4737-0-92246000-1383911349_thumb.jp

"Reverse" :

post-4737-0-16657100-1383911406_thumb.jp

I'm curious if you can also list out the type of edge for these three tokens? All three of these have common varieties, and a handful of very uncommon edge varieties.

In order, the tokens you listed are:

Suffolk/Ipswich Conder's Halfpenny - D&H 25

Suffolk/Woodbridge Penny - D&H 15

Lanarkshire/Glasgow Halfpenny - D&H 8

:wub:

Somewhere around my desk I have another of these in Unc.

post-7115-0-57974700-1383919848_thumb.jp

So what would you prefer, a piece of paper saying PASS, or this?

techmed_opt_zpsbc57e33e.jpg

Yes!

Some of those educational medals are fabulous. this one's been in the family for many years... ?a relative

poor scan due to suspension ring

attendencemedal.jpg

Tokens aren't really my thing, but If I did I would go for Spence's seditious medalets from the late 18thC - this one from my junk box

nov81775.jpg

And you cannot argue with a big lump of Boulton Copper 39.5mm, 29gm

DrM55dMonneron5Sols1792AnIV.jpg

And you cannot argue with a big lump of Boulton Copper 39.5mm, 29gm

DrM55dMonneron5Sols1792AnIV.jpg

"Live free or die". Despite 'The Terror', you can't argue with that. :)

Lovely examples of copper so far all. Just to clarify, I'd also love to see coins in copper in addition to medals and tokens! All copper welcome. :)

Here's a little coin from my collection.

1843_GreatBritain_HalfFarthing_NGC_MS65B

1843_GreatBritain_HalfFarthing_NGC_MS65B

My new penny. Obv.

post-7160-0-91543600-1383939181_thumb.jp

• Like 1

And rev.

post-7160-0-42275200-1383939276_thumb.jp

Edited by Danz
  • Like 1

I mainly collect English milled silver but have a smattering of 'other stuff' for good measure!

1799_FA_Bronzed_Proof_900x450_Sellers_zp

1840_Fa_CGS_500x1000_zps5269b769.png

My half penny:

Very nice!

My half penny:

Very nice!

DROOL_zps26be25f8.jpg Love that one Goomy! That could be your Victoria example sorted for your monarch collection ... mind you my vote would go to a Gothic florin for her example

Edited by Paulus

Each side of my 1826 halfpenny:

post-4737-0-94444200-1383947443_thumb.jppost-4737-0-65084400-1383947475_thumb.jp