British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Another pickup from york a political token from middlesex a rare token and ever popular .

Not in the best of grade but again great VFM

IMG_20190724_0001.jpg

• Like 1

Another Spence piece... rare "Coaly Tyne" token struck with the broken obverse die ! 

Sadly with a bit of PVC residue on it - anyone got any tips for professional conservation in the UK (I know about NCS stateside) ? I don't like the idea of cleaning a token this pricey myself. 

coalytyne.JPG.51739f5a7ad9ad5611fffa1b8aedad2c.JPGcoalytyne2.JPG.60e57e20e182f15d9d01fc372235fbe7.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JLS said:

Sadly with a bit of PVC residue on it

Did we even know this might happen to coins back in the seventies when we put tham in these albums.

Another Spence 'Oddfellows' token, bought today at the Malvern flea fair 

20190728_151623.jpg

• Like 2

And the reverse......

20190728_151714.jpg

A new series started, Kempson Coventry half penny 

20190802_191228.jpg

20190802_191351.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, will1976 said:

A new series started, Kempson Coventry half penny 

Really nice, I just have 1 of this series, they are all scarce I believe ...

1797_hp_warwickshire_coventry_dh_295_ref_01467_01_2400.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Paulus said:

I can't recall ever seeing a silver token - is that 6d in the exergue?

20 hours ago, Paulus said:

Yes they are, although the Bath series seems to be scarcer. I've only seen a couple of those.

6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

I believe it's just the picture, there is a 6 in the exergue though

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

The exergue reads;

ERECTED TEMP HEN 6

ie the building portrayed was erected in Henry VI’s reign.

Jerry

• Like 1

From R.C. Bell's 'The Building Medlets of Kempson and Skidmore' 

'St. Mary's Hall was originally built as a meeting and banqueting place for three of the city guilds, St. John's, Trinity, and St. Katharine's. Building began about 1340-2 while the Great Hall itself was started in 1394 and finished in 1414. Later it became used for Corporation festivities, and sometimes as a theatre. The building was extensively repaired in 1580 and in 1753 the old brick floors were removed and replaced with oak planking'

It also states that 'A few of these pieces were struck in silver' but doesn't list which ones

2 hours ago, will1976 said:

Yes they are, although the Bath series seems to be scarcer. I've only seen a couple of those.

Do you mean these? I have 3

ud_hp_somerset_bath_3_tokens_01.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Do you mean these? I have 3

Yes those are the ones!

Newbie, now 8 Kempson's Birmingham buildings left to collect ...

This is now known as St Paul’s Church, and a spire has been added

1797_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_st_pauls_chapel_dh_172_01_ref_01861_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Newbie, now 8 Kempson's Birmingham buildings left to collect ...

Well done, I think we're slowly getting there! I'm awaiting delivery of 'Jerusalem temple' should arrive in the morning 

• Like 1

Recently picked up this unofficial farthing token - W.B. Reeves of Birmingham, 1867 dated type (Withers 870). Not the nicest grade but tough to find. 

unoff2.JPG.60d91dc65ba443bf3258e53fef28c44b.JPGunoff1.JPG.b5883c59efefc495e7f62f97a585629e.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JLS said:

Recently picked up this unofficial farthing token - W.B. Reeves of Birmingham, 1867 dated type (Withers 870). Not the nicest grade but tough to find. 

A nice pick up, some of the unofficial farthings are very scarce. Even some of the ones listed in withers as relatively common can be hard to find in a decent grade. Is it an area you collect much of or just ones of interest? 

2 hours ago, will1976 said:

A nice pick up, some of the unofficial farthings are very scarce. Even some of the ones listed in withers as relatively common can be hard to find in a decent grade. Is it an area you collect much of or just ones of interest? 

I've not been collecting the unofficial farthings for long but I have a fair few now. I agree that it's really difficult to find perfect specimens of any of these - I don't want to buy the common gilded tokens unless they have complete and unworn gilding, which is starting to look like an unreasonable expectation !

My main areas of interest in British numismatics are 18th century tokens and countermarked/engraved coins from the 18th and 19th centuries, so it's a natural continuation. Most of my coin budget goes on thalers so it's nice to collect a field where rarities aren't too expensive yet !

Do you collect the series ?

14 hours ago, JLS said:

Do you collect the series ?

Yes I've been collecting them for the past 4 or so years now, I have around 250. It started off with a random one which i bought for a fiver, it turned out to be quite scarce. I started looking for them then and I've been lucky in picking up some of the rare ones. I'll post a few pics on my next day off if your interested 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, will1976 said:

I’ll post a few pics on my next day off if your interested 

Please do ! 

• Thanks 1

Here is another item from my "unofficial farthing" collection - actually probably a gaming counter. I've seen the same obverse die used for a "To Hanover" token. Anyone familiar with these blank reverse/initialed pieces ?

gmc.JPG

gmc2.JPG

1 hour ago, JLS said:

probably a gaming counter.

This is one of the ones I have, as you say probably a gaming counter. I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that you bought the blank piece and had stamped on your initials or own design 

20190814_201336.jpg

20190814_201405.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that you bought the blank piece and had stamped on your initials or own design 

Nice piece - I like the swan ! 

That's a plausible theory. My piece does have gilding inside the stamped initials on the reverse. Don't know if that precludes the letters having been stamped after the piece was gilded.

A couple of my unofficial farthings, having an issue with sizing as only got my phone for pics at the moment. The rather worn example is W4640, listed as RRR with no picture while the other is a more pristine example of W4959b

20190814_202203.jpg

20190814_202142.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JLS said:

Don't know if that precludes the letters having been stamped after the piece was gilded.

Assuming again I'd of thought they'd all of been gilded and you bought and had stamped however many you wanted