British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

@Paulus I did wonder if it was you who bought it, I got the 'new brass works' the same week 

Well it's been an expensive month and the coin fund is now officially bankrupt after this purchase. D+H199 Ottley reverse. Apologies for the over exposure, took several shots and happy with none of them

20190617_182621.jpg

20190617_182726.jpg

It's only the second I've come across, the other was listed as fair and 'quite battered'

Still available as far as I'm aware if your interested 

Just now, will1976 said:

It's only the second I've come across, the other was listed as fair and 'quite battered'

Still available as far as I'm aware if your interested 

No I don't, but thanks anyway - I don't want any 'battered' coins regardless of the rarity!

• Like 1

😂 my thoughts exactly!

Some truly wonderful new tokens and coins posted in this thread. 

I've been a bit "sparse" as of late, but I do check in from time to time.

One particular note: @Paulus your photography is superb!

Best, Brandon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brg5658 said:

Some truly wonderful new tokens and coins posted in this thread. 

I've been a bit "sparse" as of late, but I do check in from time to time.

One particular note: @Paulus your photography is superb!

Best, Brandon

Thanks Brandon!

So I bought this Token at Heritage last night. Graded MS64 RB, it is a Lanarkshire copper 1/2 Penny Token dated 1795.

But the real reason I bought it is because it is from Glasgow with the Glasgow coat of arms on it and that is where I grew up and where, in many respects, I still think of as home.

The photo is from Heritage.

yU0x9B.jpg

1qlxzr.jpg

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 2

@jaggy

This from Dalton & Hamer:

The arms of Glasgow are very ancient, and are attributed to St. Kentigern, who is said to have founded a small religious establishment on the banks of a tributary of the Clyde, where the City now stands, and that he hung a bell upon a tree near by, to call the worshippers.
Now as to the “fish” and the “ring”: This refers to a certain queen who, tradition states, carried on an intrigue with a soldier, and gave to him a ring which she had received from the king. This ring was afterwards taken from the soldier while he slept, and, by the king was thrown into the Clyde, who later demanded its production by the queen; she, in her difficulty consulted the Saint, who had a newly caught fish brought, in which was found the ring, and thereby the king’s suspicions were allayed. But there appears a bird perched on a branch of the tree, to which no reference is made in the foregoing note.
Another version is given in a manuscript note by the late Rev. W. R. Hay, M.A., vicar of Rochdale : ” The arms of Glasgow are—a tree in full leaf, a bird at the top of it, a bell hanging from the tree, and a salmon with a ring in its mouth. The story: A man promised marriage
to a servant cook, and after having bought the wedding ring, refused to marry her. On her upbraiding him, he threw the ring over the bridge into the Clyde, and promised that if she found and brought it to him he would marry her. Some time after, in gutting a salmon for
dinner, she found the ring in it ; on which she claimed the promise, and her lover married her.
” The tree is the woman ready to be married ; the bird at the top, her lover who would not come down ; the bell, that which should have rang for their marriage; and the salmon, that which swallowed the ring.”
The following lines are current in Scotland on the subject:—
” Here’s a tree that never grew,
Here’s a bird that never flew,
Here’s a bell that never rung,
And here’s a drunken salmon.”
The salmon is described as “drunken” because it appears as floating on its back, this being the position of a dead fish in water.

• Like 1

Many years ago, we did the history of Glasgow at school but I don't remember the story behind the arms. However, as I remember it, the full motto is 'Let Glasgow Flourish by the Preaching of the Word'. 

Edited by jaggy

2 hours ago, jaggy said:

Many years ago, we did the history of Glasgow at school but I don't remember the story behind the arms. However, as I remember it, the full motto is 'Let Glasgow Flourish by the Preaching of the Word'. 

And the Word is "See YOU, Jimmy!"

8 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

And the Word is "See YOU, Jimmy!"

And a glasgow kiss mmmmmmmmwwwwaaa

• Haha 1

A couple from this side of the pond.

1804_HalfCent_PCGS_AU53_composite_zps21b

1852_Large_Cent_NGC_MS65BN_composite.jpg

• Like 6

Pickup from york

IMG_20190720_0002.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Pickup from york

IMG_20190720_0002.jpg

A nice example, slightly better than mine. Is there any edge inscription? 

Coin has no edge inscription

18th cent tokens are a great VFM area at the moment .

20 hours ago, copper123 said:

18th cent tokens are a great VFM area at the moment .

I agree, here's another of my recent acquisitions

1795_hp_kent_maidstone_conder_padsole_paper_mill_dh_37_01_ref_01441_02_2400.jpg

• Like 2

I think its the simple complexity of the collecting and hundreds of different varieties that puts people off - but they are great little pieces of social history and art and also show the rapidly changing social and economic pressures of the time

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying the 18th century series too at the moment. Bought this nice Spence piece on Saturday. The toning looks a bit less weird in the hand - the side with James Spence on has a lot of subdued lustre. 

spence1.JPG

spence2.JPG

Edited by JLS
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, JLS said:

I'm really enjoying the 18th century series too at the moment. Bought this nice Spence piece on Saturday. The toning looks a bit less weird in the hand - the side with James Spence on has a lot of subdued lustre. 

Very nice indeed, I don't have an example yet ... there's an 'even fellows' token too, can't think where from right now

That’s also a Spence token, I believe - it exists in farthing-sized format. 

Another recent Spence purchase... (2/5+)

pigsmeat1.JPG.f60f2d51656f39ba849400cbf695c6ee.JPG

pigsmeat2.JPG.671b97461e51a46e0d4c6187fa8e8506.JPG

• Like 2