British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

P904 variety with first 7 over 1 and 3 over 7. Not the best grade-wise and weakly struck, but plenty of original colour.

c1202-1773 halfpenny.jpg

• Like 2

Something a bit different. 1828 two pounds reverse uniface in copper.

c1968-1828 two pounds rev. uniface copper.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Paulus said:

This is D&H Yorkshire 64, or 64a if it has a plain edge. Regarded by D&H as very rare (64a) or scarce (64)

dh-yorkshire-63-65.png?w=645

Many thanks for this information. May I ask if numbers 63 to 67 which you have shown on this page are the only York tokens documented in this book, or are there more following on the next page? I did buy a couple of James Carlille HP tokens just the other day which I would have expected to see, these are pictured below. Thanks again,

James Carlill HP York Tokens Sized.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the rest of the page Ian. I had my eye on those too. :)

D&H York.JPG

39 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Many thanks for this information. May I ask if numbers 63 to 67 which you have shown on this page are the only York tokens documented in this book, or are there more following on the next page? I did buy a couple of James Carlille HP tokens just the other day which I would have expected to see, these are pictured below. Thanks again,

James Carlill HP York Tokens Sized.jpg

Boy those are nice examples! :)

DH 63-70 inclusive is York, so 8 different designs + varieties

• Like 1

That's excellent thanks Paulus, your help is much appreciated. The 3 coins I bought all seem to look even better 'in the hand'. All the best, Ian

Since we are dissecting Mr Gahlin's collection, I have a question regarding token edges. The Bedale halfpenny I bought was listed as DH9. But is this not the engrailed edge, 9b? 

Bedale halfpenny D&H.JPG

Bedale halfpenny DNW (small).jpg

Bedale halfpenny 1792 (edge).JPG

• Like 1

D & H has the YORK Number 70 as 'Scarce', see bottom of first attachment. But I have found another reference by S.H. Hamer (second attachment) which says that only 200 of these were struck. Is that a printing error, because surely the rarity could not be just 'Scarce' if only that number were struck. I would have thought it would get an R rating, probably RRR. Thanks for any education offered.

70.jpg

Hamer.jpg

•  
  • Newmismatist
  • 222 posts

D & H has the YORK Number 70 as 'Scarce', see bottom of first attachment. But I have found another reference by S.H. Hamer (second attachment) which says that only 200 of these were struck. Is that a printing error, because surely the rarity could not be just 'Scarce' if only that number were struck. I would have thought it would get an R rating, probably RRR. Thanks for any education offered.

Prob a collectors edition then with that low a mintage - most are prob in higher grades I would think

Large numbers of tokens were struck in seemingly small quantities, but given many didn't circulate, relative to the number of collectors they remain only scarce. It's the old supply and demand thing. These days, the only important thing is availability and grade from statistics taken in the past few decades. Anything earlier cannot be corroborated with an alternative contemporary study. Some things will always fight above their weight, whilst others will be unloved irrespective of rarity.

• Like 2

Ok Im back - here’s a recent copper Ive acquired...Denton’s Swan Penny from Gahlin Collection (ex Dudman collection  1901) and 24 grams!

sorry about the image framing😬

F31158DF-5A35-4948-AFBD-54266D6A2C9A.jpeg

Edited by Nicholas
  • Like 1

B1B6BB19-2DD1-49B8-9EA2-AECC702FE66C_zps

William III as Jupiter and James II as Phaeton - the Glorious Revolution 

Is this the first copper penny sized English coin? (OK it’s a medal..Eimer 312a)

Edited by Nicholas
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nicholas said:

B1B6BB19-2DD1-49B8-9EA2-AECC702FE66C_zps

William III as Jupiter and James II as Phaeton - the Glorious Revolution 

Is this the first copper penny sized English coin? (OK it’s a medal..Eimer 312a)

No, you have answered your own question. The first copper penny sized coin was the first copper penny. Other diameters are available and have been/are/will be used for both medals and coins. Any apparent links are entirely coincidental.

Nice medal though.

Edited by Rob

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

No, you have answered your own question. The first copper penny sized coin was the first copper penny. Other diameters are available and have been/are/will be used for both medals and coins. Any apparent links are entirely coincidental.

Nice medal though.

Thanks Rob - so what year was the first large copper penny issued?

Edited by Nicholas

2 hours ago, Nicholas said:

Thanks Rob - so what year was the first large copper penny issued?

1797? (the cartwheel)

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

1797? (the cartwheel)

Yes I thought so too - when Boulton and Watts got busy..

I picked up this rather nice medallion amongst some coins recently. Measures 50mm across and is Copper, whereas all the other examples I can find on the net are 32mm and pewter.

This one is engraved to Francis Hamilton Mellor, Recorder of Preston on the edge - he seems to have been a bit of a celebrity in his day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Mellor

Preston Guild Medal 2 Red.JPG

Preston Guild Medal 1 Red.JPG

A few newbies worthy of sharing (hopefully!)

This lovely Warwickshire County Conder Halfpenny Token is ex Richard Dalton (of Dalton and Hamer fame). It's an effigy of the upstart crow (Shakespeare) on the obv.

1791_hp_warwickshire_county_dh_45_02_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

• Like 2

Next up, the latest addition to my Kempson's Birmingham Buildings Conder Halfpenny mini collection (I now have 16 out of the 27)

This one also has some nice provenance, being ex Sven Gahlin collection

1797_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_old_cross_dh_188_01_sellers_druids_revenge.jpg

• Like 2

My first Pidcock half pence

pidcock half penny 1.jpg

pidcock half penny 2.jpg

• Like 2

I have just googled and read about Exeter change Will and found it interesting ,i didnt know that we even had an elephant over here that long ago .Not just about the time years ago but how the building has changed etc to todays new building on The Strand. 

I had never thought about these tokens before ☺️

Do you know an approximate year of the token ?

Edited by PWA 1967

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Do you know an approximate date of the token ?

The earliest dated one is 1795 with the latest 1801. This is the only half penny example I have at the moment but some are dated 1795, 1796 and 1801 . The rarest of the lot seems to be the tiger, I've never seen an example let alone been able to buy one. A couple of the farthing tokens from the same series I have have the date of 1801 on them and this seems to be the end of the series

• Thanks 1

I only have the 1 Pidcock's example at the moment, this one's a farthing, with an elephant and cockatoo. Undated but late 1790s, as Will says

ud_fa_middlesex_pidcocks_elephant__cockatoo_dh_1067_ref_01582_01_2400.jpg

The other animals in the Pidcock's farthing token series are catalogued in Dalton & Hamer as lion, two-headed cow, pelican, beaver and wanderow (a type of monkey)

The Pidcock's halfpenny token series also depict zebra, crane, tiger, rhino, eagle, nylghau (a type of Indian antelope), kangaroo, toucan and ostrich - I can only imagine that all these creatures were on view at the exhibition!

There is evidence that Claudius had a 'war' elephant in England in Roman times, and that Henry III had a menagerie in the Tower of London, which included an elephant given by Louis IX of France in 1255.

I continue to find these 'Conder' tokens fascinating pieces of our history!

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 2

Is that a partial brockage or die clash beneath the cockatoo @Paulus there was one that sold on the bay a few weeks back with a similar impression but a little more pronounced, the same design I think