British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's Birmingham Cathedral IIRC?

Yes, according to Wiki "St Philip's became the cathedral of the newly formed Diocese of Birmingham in 1905"

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Yes, according to Wiki "St Philip's became the cathedral of the newly formed Diocese of Birmingham in 1905"

It's actually very nice inside, but it's not what you'd call a cathedral exactly, not for England's second city especially when you consider Liverpool's two.

Here's another Kempson's Birmingham Buildings halfpenny Conder token.

1794_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_kempsons_blue_coat_charity_school_dh_197a_01_ref_01562_01_2400.jpg

• Like 2

could anyone help me verify Warwickshire 297 Free School old front taken down in 1794 ...dalton and Hammer list it as edge COVENTRY whereas others are listed as COVENTRY TOKEN edge is this an error in the book I have quite an old edition the reprinted 1967 edition ...I guess it is an error but would like to check 

8 hours ago, DrLarry said:

could anyone help me verify Warwickshire 297 Free School old front taken down in 1794 ...dalton and Hammer list it as edge COVENTRY whereas others are listed as COVENTRY TOKEN edge is this an error in the book I have quite an old edition the reprinted 1967 edition ...I guess it is an error but would like to check 

I only have D&H as a reference, if of any use or relevance, this Birmingham Kempson token is correctly documented by D&H as having an edge inscription of "COVENTRY TOKEN"

1796_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_ashted_chapel_erected_dh_148_ref_01585_01_2400.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Paulus said:

I only have D&H as a reference, if of any use or relevance, this Birmingham Kempson token is correctly documented by D&H as having an edge inscription of "COVENTRY TOKEN"

1796_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_ashted_chapel_erected_dh_148_ref_01585_01_2400.jpg

OK great thanks I will put up a picture of the token in a bit ...thanks for the help my DH is old 

1761766509_DSC_1918(300x288).jpg.4c62679720db0d3d63320ca79c3a8f97.jpg1477098171_DSC_1919(300x293).jpg.6087539aebebe8283157f144b10a778b.jpg

here we are two Kempsons ...these size restrictions can be very annoying 

DSC_1918 (300x288).jpg

DSC_1919 (300x293).jpg

Edited by DrLarry

1158204310_DSC_1920(300x299).jpg.d26e3e3da52658f6a33fcb10a342a1d7.jpg125164467_DSC_1921(300x265).jpg.15f06fabd595425d89cef8f1c909960a.jpg

The edge on this one reads "Coventry Token" listed in DH as either plain or "Coventry" 

Edited by DrLarry

really in all honesty I cannot see why I would bother to collect coins, when tokens are so beautiful ...I nearly did not even begin to collect them then I realised the fantastic artwork on many of them and was hooked 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DrLarry said:

14 hours ago, Paulus said:

18 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

OK great thanks I will put up a picture of the token in a bit ...thanks for the help my DH is old 

My D&H is the 1967 reprint and gives the edge of 297 as Coventry as you would expect, but then so does 300 whilst others are plain edge. Is there any reason to suggest that D&H is wrong? Listing a different edge reading is not in itself wrong, or does your token read Coventry Token?

The one Paul has illustrated is Warwickshire 148 which is Coventry Token, but again there is a plain edge version - 148a. 

28 minutes ago, Rob said:

My D&H is the 1967 reprint and gives the edge of 297 as Coventry as you would expect, but then so does 300 whilst others are plain edge. Is there any reason to suggest that D&H is wrong? Listing a different edge reading is not in itself wrong, or does your token read Coventry Token?

The one Paul has illustrated is Warwickshire 148 which is Coventry Token, but again there is a plain edge version - 148a. 

the edge reads Coventry Token 

31 minutes ago, Rob said:

I just happened to notice in the correction that another one had been listed as Coventry and should have read "Coventry Token" so thought perhaps the same may have happened to the 297 listed without the Token 

OK, so an error in the reference, unless there are known examples without TOKEN. The same might apply to 300.

Just now, DrLarry said:

I just happened to notice in the correction that another one had been listed as Coventry and should have read "Coventry Token" so thought perhaps the same may have happened to the 297 listed without the Token 

Typos do happen. Peck has a couple too.

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Typos do happen. Peck has a couple too.

yes I just wondered if there was a later version (i recall someone mentioning aa 1990's reprint) if it had been picked up on as I say there are some typos similarly listed in the corrections 

I'm just checking my 1990 edition...…..

Here's one of my Coventry ones, 

Edge: COVENTRY TOKEN.

D&H 295

1797_hp_warwickshire_coventry_dh_295_ref_01467_03_2400.jpg

• Like 2

I doubt there would be corrections, as most reprints are just an exercise in making the material available for a long out of print book. What Chris did with Freeman by adding varieties was the exception, not the norm. Most reprints are making the most of a gap in the market.

9 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Here's one of my Coventry ones, 

Edge: COVENTRY TOKEN.

D&H 295

1797_hp_warwickshire_coventry_dh_295_ref_01467_03_2400.jpg

we would lose a lot of historical detail of part of the old cities if these tokens had not been made.  True they mostly deal with Public buildings but I am sure the records on these were often lost.  I like the way they have the OLD FREE SCHOOL front on the 279 and then the New Front in the next one 

The two listed in the 1990 edition are 297 with edge reading Coventry and 297a which is plain. There is no mention of any 'Coventry token' edge for 297  in the corrigenda section of the book

14 minutes ago, will1976 said:

The two listed in the 1990 edition are 297 with edge reading Coventry and 297a which is plain. There is no mention of any 'Coventry token' edge for 297  in the corrigenda section of the book

OK thanks Will..let's just assume it is an error then and should read COVENTRY TOKEN as Rob says unless there is one that just reads COVENTRY.  Many thanks for your help. 

SO we are searching now for the COVENTRY  only edge 

Edited by DrLarry
  • Like 1

A little more info for you from 'The building Medalets of Kempson and Skidmore' by R. C. Bell page 36/7 ''D&H War.297'' (then gives a description of the token followed by) ''The building was originally a hospital founded at the beginning of the reign of Henry II. At the dissolution of the monasteries John Hales purchased the chapel and converted it into a free school.'' Unfortunately it gives no information on edge varieties

• Like 1

The height of fashion in 1794 Norwich. The items on the obverse are a ladies' fur muff and tippet 

1794_hp_norfolk_norwich_clarkes_dh_1619_ref_01619_01_2400.jpg

• Like 3