British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

On 08/08/2017 at 8:18 PM, brg5658 said:

I like the detail!  Wish I could blow that image up a bit more to see more of it! 

:wub:

Here's a bigger pic, hopefully!

1794_hp_sussex_hastings_conder_token_slo

• Like 3

I found an example of this very common large medal about 4-5 months ago.  Finally got around to photographing it.  There is a good amount of lovely purple, blue, and reddish toning around the portraits -- but very hard to capture in photos.  This is now a part of my ongoing (but slow) Victoria portraits collection.

1897_Victoria_Jubilee_NGC_MS65BN_composi

• Like 3

Another lovely token Paulus.

Just noticed, that bloke's hands are even smaller than Trump's!

• Haha 1

On 06/11/2013 at 10:17 PM, brg5658 said:

It seems there are a good number of copper lovers here. So, I hope it's okay if I start a thread where we can all post pictures of our favorite copper coins, tokens, or medals.

=======================

I will start with a Provincial Halfpenny Token issued in Yorkshire in 1791 (D&H 17). There is an interesting die chip in front of the horse's head, and a rather "cool" die crack on the reverse through the date and shield. A good amount of luster remains.

OBVERSE: The design is taken from the equestrian statue of William III standing near the south end of the Market Place. It was erected by public subscription in 1734, and was at first in a large square, but this took up too much space, and it was replaced by a close railing with four lamps placed around it. The statue was executed by Scheemaker. The pedestal bears the inscription: "This statue was erected in the year 1734 to the memory of King William III, our great deliverer." The legend around is "GULIELMUS TERTIUS REX." which translates at "King William the Third". The exergue bears the date "MDCLXXXIX" (1689) -- the year in which King William came to the throne.

REVERSE: The reverse presents the Arms of the town of Hull, originally known as Wyke-upon-Hull, and subsequently Kingstown, or Kingston-upon-Hull. The legend around is "Hull Halfpenny" and it bears the date of striking of 1791.

EDGE: The edge is stamped with the text "PAYABLE AT THE WAREHOUSE OF IONATHAN GARTON & CO". Garton and Shackles were linen drapers in the Market Place in Hull.

1791_Conder_Token_Yorkshire_obv_zps0ca6c

1791_Conder_Token_Yorkshire_rev_zpsd0ecd

You are a Diva....my sisters married name is Penny Hull and Xmas presents have been along these lines.

was looking for something, and stumbled across this I got from a while back.

1036934.jpg

Halfpenny, needs to be put in here.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, scott said:

was looking for something, and stumbled across this I got from a while back.

1036934.jpg

Halfpenny, needs to be put in here.

much scarcer than most believe though it suffers from the lack of halfpenny collectors IMHO

Stop after date more common on the farthings

• Like 1

"much scarcer than most believe though it suffers from the lack of halfpenny collectors IMHO"

Early milled halfpennies are always appreciated at our house. Well, by me anyway...

Nice addition to your collection Scott.;)

George 1 copper rocks.After Charles it went to a horrid mess I do have a few William and Mary's but the George 1's hit the mark.I just can't get enough.

Continuing my mini collection of Cinque Ports Conder Tokens, here's my latest (Faversham - a limb of Dover)

Why they have spelt it 'Feversham' I have yet to find out!

1794_hp_kent_faversham_conder_token_sloo

• Like 4

The shield is the old ITFC pre 1970 badge.I managed to buy an Ipswich coffee mug from an antiques fair very cheaply.The stall holder was was also a mug as he said the badge is wrong.

BTW Paul that will do nicely as my Xmas present.;)

Pretty little farthing newbie courtesy of Colin Goode (aboutfarthings)

1828_fa_01_ref_01565_01_2400.jpg

• Like 5

Newbie Birmingham Conder token with an early Monty Python shield

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 3

"DINSDALE..."

36 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Newbie Birmingham Conder token with an early Monty Python shield

Not to mention the erroneous apostrophe - that was the only reason I bought mine. :)

Never did find out why the hedgehogs though...

How about this 70mm medal from the Vienna World Fair in 1873, featuring an extraordinary portrait of Franz Joseph I. The words over the top of the reverse apparently mean "For Progress". Edge is blank.

Vienna Medallion 1 Red.JPG

Vienna Medallion 2 Red.JPG

Edited by Paddy
Typo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Not to mention the erroneous apostrophe - that was the only reason I bought mine. :)

Never did find out why the hedgehogs though...

Apparently it's the arms of the Hardy family consisting of a shield with four hedgehogs and a hedgehog crest

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Apparently it's the arms of the Hardy family consisting of a shield with four hedgehogs and a hedgehog crest

Thank you. Which edge legend did you get? :)

31 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Thank you. Which edge legend did you get? :)

This one is D&H 50a, edge "PAYABLE AT CLOUGHER OR IN DUBLIN"

21 minutes ago, Paulus said:

This one is D&H 50a, edge "PAYABLE AT CLOUGHER OR IN DUBLIN"

Same as mine. Although better nick, as usual! :lol:

Guest zoom
On 15/03/2018 at 8:29 AM, Paddy said:

How about this 70mm medal from the Vienna World Fair in 1873, featuring an extraordinary portrait of Franz Joseph I. The words over the top of the reverse apparently mean "For Progress". Edge is blank.

Vienna Medallion 1 Red.JPG

Vienna Medallion 2 Red.JPG

I like.

• Like 1

A glitch has meant I haven't been able to post in this thread for a while, but it seems to be working again!

I'm interested in all Conder tokens, at the moment I am trying to complete the Kempson Birmingham Buildings series, and collect a decent example for every Cinque Port and limb thereof. Anything interesting though, in a decent grade and at a fair price, I tend to grab it!

Here's another Kempson, I'll post some of my more interesting ones now that I can use this thread again

1797_hp_warwickshire_birmingham_st_philips_church_dh_175_ref_01599_01_2400.jpg

That's Birmingham Cathedral IIRC?