British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Certainly DH 44, but whether 44, 44a, 44b or 44c depends on the edge reading. Payable in Lancaster, London or Bristol; Payable at London or Dublin x x x; CURRANT EVERY WHERE (sic) or Halfpenny Payable at the Black Horse Tower Hill respectively. The second is common, o/w RR

8 minutes ago, Rob said:

Certainly DH 44, but whether 44, 44a, 44b or 44c depends on the edge reading. Payable in Lancaster, London or Bristol; Payable at London or Dublin x x x; CURRANT EVERY WHERE (sic) or Halfpenny Payable at the Black Horse Tower Hill respectively. The second is common, o/w RR

Sorry I should have added that in my OP. The edge listing is crucial as you say. Mine is

“PAYABLE IN LANCASTER LONDON OR BRISTOL”.

so a standard 44 I believe

A punt on this 1841 halfpenny, I'm grading GEF from the seller's pics, opinions welcome

1841_hp_01_ref__01_sellers.jpg

• Like 3

Nice coin. I like the clash mark, front and back (arm and curl). GEF.

I would go better than GEF

One of my early purchases as a young lad was a 1841 1/2d which I paid 50p. My Saturday morning job as a butchers boy paid £2.It was a big decision as watching Ipswich at home was 25p bus,25p to get in and 6p was a programme.Both hold great memories but I still have my 1/2d.:)

Nice coin Paulus.Was/is it one of the large batch of 41's sold recently on the bay?

Here are some of my latest token buys. They're only low grades but they were cheap and I like them! 

A couple of things I've noticed with these:

On the Hull Halfpenny, the horizontal line in the H of Hull continues through to the letter U, does anyone know why this is? I've noticed it is in Dalton and Hamers image of this reverse (this token is a DH20 I believe), yet they make no reference to it which I find odd as it stands out quite a bit!

On the Manchester Halfpenny, it seems that the bottom of all three letter E's on the obverse is broken. Again, does anybody know why?

Hull hpen.jpg

Mchester hpen.jpg

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

Broken punches, die flaws, filled dies........... All the usual reasons for the effects seen and normal wear and tear, hence there is no logical reason to include them as varieties by design which is the purpose of most references. The same goes for the obsession with filled dies on £2 coin edges seen today etc. Just normal wear and tear..

My Hull token (it's D&H 21 I believe, as opposed to your D&H 20) - no flaw on the H

1791_hp_yorkshire_hull_dh21_ref_01408_01

With the Hull one I was just thinking maybe it would have been an easy way to differentiate between the reverses if this flaw is only associated with the D&H 20. I was just surprised to see no mention of it considering D&H use die flaws as a way to identify other token types.

Paulus, that is a very nice example by the way!

Two new farthing Conder tokens.  The detail on the Perthshire is particularly cool!

1795_Somerset-112A_NGC_MS65BN_composite.

1798_Scotland_Perth-11_NGC_MS64BN_compos

On 26 July 2017 at 1:29 PM, Liam said:

Here are some of my latest token buys. They're only low grades but they were cheap and I like them! 

A couple of things I've noticed with these:

On the Hull Halfpenny, the horizontal line in the H of Hull continues through to the letter U, does anyone know why this is? I've noticed it is in Dalton and Hamers image of this reverse (this token is a DH20 I believe), yet they make no reference to it which I find odd as it stands out quite a bit!

On the Manchester Halfpenny, it seems that the bottom of all three letter E's on the obverse is broken. Again, does anybody know why?

Hull hpen.jpg

Mchester hpen.jpg

On 26 July 2017 at 3:49 PM, Paulus said:

My Hull token (it's D&H 21 I believe, as opposed to your D&H 20) - no flaw on the H

1791_hp_yorkshire_hull_dh21_ref_01408_01

And on mine the die crack is just beginning to develop….

Hull 1791 a.jpg

Hull 1791 b.jpg

My latest Cinque Port (pronounced Sink Port apparently) Conder token, just Hastings needed to complete the main 5, arriving later this week but not as high a grade ...

1794_hp_kent_hythe_conder_token_sloop_dh

Question for other Conder token collectors on here - I use the following sellers to source my tokens, any others I should be looking at?

• ABC coins and tokens (David Stuart)
  • Baldwins (of St James)
  • John Newman (johnnyqc on eBay)
  • Druids Revenge (eBay Seller)

• Like 2

On 8/2/2017 at 4:32 PM, Paulus said:

Question for other Conder token collectors on here - I use the following sellers to source my tokens, any others I should be looking at?

• Baldwins (of St James)

On this side of the pond (USA), the main sources are:

• Bill McKivor (The Copper Corner; no pictures but issues a quarterly list of offerings; planning to retire soon)
  • Dr. Gary Sriro (garysriro on eBay; sporadic offerings on eBay; known for likely the most complete collection of Conder varieties ever collected )
  • Heritage auctions (occasional large collections; otherwise sporadic smaller groupings)
  • Gary Groll (I have never purchased anything from him, because I find his asking prices to be mostly absurd)
  • James Ricks at Atlas Numismatics (often aggressive pricing, but the occasional "deal" can be found)
  • Ernie Latter (cwtguy on eBay; usually has a few for sale in true auctions; some BIN also)
  • Stephen Oatway (Based in Canada; britannianumismatics on eBay; usually has a few Conders in stock)
  • Holgate Numismatics (andiepaul03 on eBay; Largely sourced material from Heritage Auctions with price mark ups)
  • Ancient Galleon, LLC (ancientgalleonllc on eBay; decent selection and variety)

1 hour ago, brg5658 said:

On this side of the pond (USA), the main sources are:

• Bill McKivor (The Copper Corner; no pictures but issues a quarterly list of offerings; planning to retire soon)
  • Dr. Gary Sriro (garysriro on eBay; sporadic offerings on eBay; known for likely the most complete collection of Conder varieties ever collected )
  • Heritage auctions (occasional large collections; otherwise sporadic smaller groupings)
  • Gary Groll (I have never purchased anything from him, because I find his asking prices to be mostly absurd)
  • James Ricks at Atlas Numismatics (often aggressive pricing, but the occasional "deal" can be found)
  • Ernie Latter (cwtguy on eBay; usually has a few for sale in true auctions; some BIN also)
  • Stephen Oatway (Based in Canada; britannianumismatics on eBay; usually has a few Conders in stock)
  • Holgate Numismatics (andiepaul03 on eBay; Largely sourced material from Heritage Auctions with price mark ups)
  • Ancient Galleon, LLC (ancientgalleonllc on eBay; decent selection and variety)

Thanks Brandan! :)

For anyone that doesn't have a copy of Dalton and Hamers token coinage book it can be viewed online here:

http://provincialtokencoinage.weebly.com/

If you scroll past the image to the download link it can also be downloaded as a PDF :)

Edited by Liam

Last post is wrong sorry, it is the link near the top of the page that says 'New- Download book in PDF format' where it can be downloaded from in full, the one lower down the page does not work :)

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, Paulus said:

My latest Cinque Port (pronounced Sink Port apparently) Conder token, just Hastings needed to complete the main 5, arriving later this week but not as high a grade ...

1794_hp_kent_hythe_conder_token_sloop_dh

• Baldwins (of St James)

I always have a good few ont Bay Paul. Some very scarce, some high grade and some run o't Mill.

1 minute ago, argentumandcoins said:

I always have a good few ont Bay Paul. Some very scarce, some high grade and some run o't Mill.

Thanks John, what's your eBay account?

• Like 1

The shop is Argentum and Coins, the user name john8150_0

Obviously if you see anything that takes your fancy I can save you some Pennies if you deal direct. The sellers fees are 10% so that's the very least you'd save.

6 minutes ago, argentumandcoins said:

The shop is Argentum and Coins, the user name john8150_0

Obviously if you see anything that takes your fancy I can save you some Pennies if you deal direct. The sellers fees are 10% so that's the very least you'd save.

Thanks John, I'll take a look :)

I now have examples of all 5 of the Cinque Ports halfpenny Conder tokens, this is Hastings, the only one of the 5 in Sussex

1794_hp_sussex_hastings_conder_token_slo

• Like 2

On 8/6/2017 at 10:59 AM, Paulus said:

I now have examples of all 5 of the Cinque Ports halfpenny Conder tokens, this is Hastings, the only one of the 5 in Sussex

1794_hp_sussex_hastings_conder_token_slo

I like the detail!  Wish I could blow that image up a bit more to see more of it! 

:wub: