British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Uncirculated, but the date is very weak

1888 FA.jpg

• Like 3

1820_medal_obv_PCGS_SP65_composite_zps07

FRANCE. 1820 AE Medal. PCGS SP65. By Barre. 50.6mm.
(Bramsen 1831; Slg. Julius 3685.)
Obverse: Winged Victory in quadriga over globe depicting Europe and Egypt.
Reverse: Legend in wreath of laurel and oak branches. / LES SOUSCRIPTEURS ASSOCIÉS POUR TRANSMETTRE A LA POSTÉRITÉ LES VICTOIRES ET CONQUÊTES DES FRANCAIS DE 1795 A 1815. ÉDITEUR C. L. F. PANCKOUCKE 1820. 
Bramsen 1831; Slg. Julius 3685.

Struck for the subscribers to a work by C. L. F. Panckoucke, on the victories and conquests of Napoleon. Charles-Louis-Fleury Panckoucke, born on 26 Dec 1780 in Paris and died on 11 Jul 1844 in Meudon, was a French writer, printer, bookseller, and publisher. His most famous published work as editor was that for which this medal was created, published in Paris in 1820.

Ex E. J. Haeberlin collection. Ernst Justus Haeberlin (born 19 Jun 1847 in Frankfurt, Germany, died 5 Dec 1925 ) was a lawyer and commercial councilor in Frankfurt am Main. However, Haeberlin became known primarily as a numismatist. In 1906 he was a co-founder of the Frankfurt Numismatic Society. His coin collection was dispersed after his death, with the Aes-Grave portion and other items entering the coin cabinet of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brg5658 said:

1820_medal_obv_PCGS_SP65_composite_zps07

FRANCE. 1820 AE Medal. PCGS SP65. By Barre. 50.6mm.
(Bramsen 1831; Slg. Julius 3685.)
Obverse: Winged Victory in quadriga over globe depicting Europe and Egypt.
Reverse: Legend in wreath of laurel and oak branches. / LES SOUSCRIPTEURS ASSOCIÉS POUR TRANSMETTRE A LA POSTÉRITÉ LES VICTOIRES ET CONQUÊTES DES FRANCAIS DE 1795 A 1815. ÉDITEUR C. L. F. PANCKOUCKE 1820. 
Bramsen 1831; Slg. Julius 3685.

Struck for the subscribers to a work by C. L. F. Panckoucke, on the victories and conquests of Napoleon. Charles-Louis-Fleury Panckoucke, born on 26 Dec 1780 in Paris and died on 11 Jul 1844 in Meudon, was a French writer, printer, bookseller, and publisher. His most famous published work as editor was that for which this medal was created, published in Paris in 1820.

Ex E. J. Haeberlin collection. Ernst Justus Haeberlin (born 19 Jun 1847 in Frankfurt, Germany, died 5 Dec 1925 ) was a lawyer and commercial councilor in Frankfurt am Main. However, Haeberlin became known primarily as a numismatist. In 1906 he was a co-founder of the Frankfurt Numismatic Society. His coin collection was dispersed after his death, with the Aes-Grave portion and other items entering the coin cabinet of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin .

Fabulous! Not copper though !:lol:

On 5/13/2017 at 0:34 PM, Paulus said:

Fabulous! Not copper though !:lol:

Hi @Paulus

It is either bronzed copper or copper + a bit of impurities (likely 95%+ copper).  I think that qualifies for this thread.

I won't be paying for an XRF analysis on this one, but I think it is likely bronzed copper -- i.e., all copper metal blank with a bronzing dust used at the time of striking to protect the surfaces and/or add sheen. ;) 

I disagree with the PCGS determination that this was a "specimen" or "special" strike (SP designation).  The die had a bit of gunk between the horses' front legs at the time of striking, and I doubt a medal of this type had various finishes or strikings.  PCGS tends to overuse their SP designation on a lot of medals from this time period.  It was likely struck with an inordinate amount of pressure, but any medal of this size (~50mm diameter) struck in 1820 would have required a phenomenal amount of tonnage for striking, and probably multiple blows to bring up the full high relief details in Victory and the horses.

It's certainly an impressive display of craftsmanship and a lovely thing to behold.  Thanks for sharing!

On 10 May 2017 at 8:48 PM, Leo said:

Uncirculated, but the date is very weak

1888 FA.jpg

Quite common to see the later reverses wear - for example the 1895 YH farthing rarely turns up with a decent reverse, I suspect the reverse die got overused as the OH was about to be issued.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-15 at 3:19 PM, brg5658 said:

Hi @Paulus

It is either bronzed copper or copper + a bit of impurities (likely 95%+ copper).  I think that qualifies for this thread.

I won't be paying for an XRF analysis on this one, but I think it is likely bronzed copper -- i.e., all copper metal blank with a bronzing dust used at the time of striking to protect the surfaces and/or add sheen. ;) 

I disagree with the PCGS determination that this was a "specimen" or "special" strike (SP designation).  The die had a bit of gunk between the horses' front legs at the time of striking, and I doubt a medal of this type had various finishes or strikings.  PCGS tends to overuse their SP designation on a lot of medals from this time period.  It was likely struck with an inordinate amount of pressure, but any medal of this size (~50mm diameter) struck in 1820 would have required a phenomenal amount of tonnage for striking, and probably multiple blows to bring up the full high relief details in Victory and the horses.

My comment was 'tongue in cheek', it's fabulous! :)

3 newbies acquired this week, all Kent tokens from places I visited last weekend

DH.Kent.039.008.jpg

DH.Kent.015.005.jpg

DH.Kent.038.004.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

3 newbies acquired this week, all Kent tokens from places I visited last weekend

What were you doing there Paul? That's my old stomping ground!

Did you get the tokens in Kent? I have the bottom one but not the other two.

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

What were you doing there Paul? That's my old stomping ground!

Did you get the tokens in Kent? I have the bottom one but not the other two.

My partner lives in Folkestone, I got them online when I got back

The Sandwich one's particularly nice. Hope you enjoyed your trip to the Marsh. :)

23 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

The Sandwich one's particularly nice. Hope you enjoyed your trip to the Marsh. :)

Thanks, yes I did! I had no idea that the Tenterden area was a major shipbuilding naval port until the rivers silted up. Sandwich one has the Cinque Ports Coat of Arms.

Yup. Romney had a harbour on the River Rother, right by the church. I can remember there being a great big mooring ring set into the stonework of the church where they used to tie boats up, but I don't know what happened to it - it's not there now. The storm of 1287 blocked the Rother estuary, diverting the course of the river to Rye - about 14 miles away. Romney was finished as a port. Must have been one hell of a storm. :blink:

My pic of the Sandwich token, the best of the three

ud_kent_sandwich_conder_halfpenny_ancien

• Like 3

Plenty of high grade copper tokens went at the Baldwins of St James's auction today, mainly ex Baldwins vault, anyone nab some? Prices were strong in the main for top grades with lustre.

One I acquired a few months back, just wanted to point out the PENNEY error!

1797_hp_croydon_garraways_tea_rooms_dh7_

I picked up one lot of copper and 3 lots of silver tokens. Got outbid on a lot of things though. Prices have been very strong for tokens in recent times with both today's sale and DNW's results showing some eye watering prices.

Wasn't best pleased with the cataloguing today. A significant number of the multiple lots only had one or two at the most illustrated. There is no way a distance bidder can risk bidding up a lot 20, 30 or 40 coins if there is no image available to display the potential acquisitions. Some of the lots had 40+ coins of a single moneyer from a single mint, yet bids were made at seemingly silly prices. 46 Norwich pennies on one moneyer and a hammer price of 4800 suggests someone has lost the plot a bit. £120-130 a pop all in for a lot of 46 essentially similar pennies that you can pick up for less doesn't instil you with confidence of it being a stable market.

Yes, that would put me off too, becomes a lottery and/or leap of faith. What copper lot did you win?

38 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Yes, that would put me off too, becomes a lottery and/or leap of faith. What copper lot did you win?

The coppers were lot 177. I finally have a H Young, Coin Dealer penny token as my example of that unofficial denomination. An early strike with the date intact, I have come second on a few examples in the past year or two which were all later strikes with the die flaw. The latter appear to be the norm.

Getting more and more into these, a recent addition:

ud_somerset_bath_conder_halfpenny_genera

• Like 1

Thomas Hall’s London (Middlesex) copper halfpenny token 1795. 

D&H Middlesex No: 317. Diameter 31.2mm. Mostly found in this condition or better.

DSCN5721-horz-ccfopt.jpg

48 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Thomas Hall’s London (Middlesex) copper halfpenny token 1795. 

D&H Middlesex No: 317. Diameter 31.2mm. Mostly found in this condition or better.

DSCN5721-horz-ccfopt.jpg

Great piece of social history Badgerap! :)

Low grade and I do not think I have posted this here before (same coin, different backgrounds). Have I attributed this correctly (D&H Lancashire 44) - one for @Rob perhaps?. If so it is rated RR by D&H

1794_hp_lancashire_lancaster_conder_dh_4

Edited by Paulus