British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Been a while since I've posted here.  I picked up 2 new Conder tokens about 3 months ago.  I finally got around to photographing them.

1793 Warwickshire halfpenny token, rare

1793_Halfpenny_Warks136_NGC_MS65BN_compo

1794 Lancashire halfpenny token, common

1794_Halfpenny_Lancs58_NGC_MS64RB_compos

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Paulus said:

More fabulous eye candy BRG :)

Oh, if we could all take pictures like BRG :rolleyes: just stunning! 

Apologies to any farthing/copper collectors as I'm sure this will not impress! This is not my main focus, but I like to have an example, and this is my best one

1799_fa_02_1300.jpg

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 2

And this halfpenny - question, how do you count the number of gun ports?

1799_hp_02_1300.jpg

Get a good glass on it and count. They will be either incuse or raised or there may be a straight raised line or nothing at all.

On 1/25/2016 at 3:39 AM, Paulus said:

And this halfpenny - question, how do you count the number of gun ports?

Hoist a tricolour a count the flashes! :ph34r:

• Like 2

Nothing special about the grade, but I like all things pretty much related to S,t Paul's (sic), Wren, or the Royal Society!

1795_hp_middlesex_spittles_conder_dh_903 

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

Not sure how much interest there is in these (unless they are stunning high grade lustrered examples), but bought this iconic Iron bridge token this morning (seller's pic, mine to come)

1792_hp_coalbrookdale_conder_sellers_jam

• Like 1

I love the history tangent of these tokens.Wow a 100ft span.An achievement in its time though.

Tokens are a sideline if collected at all for all bar a few. They tend to be more popular in the US than here.

On a personal level, an example of each denomination with a topic of interest or numismatic feature depicted is sufficient for me. I wanted the Young (Coin Dealer) token in the Baldwins sale last year with the badly flawed St. Paul's die. It combined a good example of a die crack and die chip, had numismatic interest in thaqt it was issued by a coin dealer, had wax in the detail telling me it had been illustrated and the die state was specifically mentioned in D&H. That ticked a lot of boxes. Still came second though :(

I love all these tokens, especially the provincial conders. So much to investigate and learn from a single design, you can really delve into the history behind them which is more interesting than just getting another year with the same design. 

BRG has helped me out a lot with information, although I'm yet to get my first one. I want to start with a nice one with a bit of lustre but they're so damn expensive! 

What did that set you back Paul? You've got a couple now right?

Something a little different.  I collect toned copper, so this one is for that set.

1889H_1Double_NGC_MS66BN_composite_zpsob

On 2/12/2016 at 4:57 AM, Paulus said:

I have about 10 or so now, that one was £30

Some of my others here:

https://pwcoins.wordpress.com/house-of-hanover/george-iii-1760-1820/conder-tokens/

@Paulus, I'm glad to see you snagged that very nice Middlesex 1017 on David Stuarts site.  That one was one my "watch" list for a long time, as it is a really nice example (if even a common token).  Your write-ups on your site are also very nice!  :D  I recognize a couple others among your collection from David's site also.  Great eye!  

• Like 1

Not a rare or expensive medal by any stretch of the imagination and my pics are nowhere near the above but here is one of the bargains I got from the auction at the TNS meeting last week. It was the princely sum of £1!!!!!!

Churchill 80th Birthday medal 1954.jpg

Here are a few standard uncirculated 1945 pennies. They are all as struck and mint toned. The thing I like about them are the range of colours that were achieved through the process.

1945 rev 4 b.jpg

• Like 1

And the Obverses

1945 obv 4 b.jpg

• Like 1

On 15/02/2016 at 1:16 AM, brg5658 said:

@Paulus, I'm glad to see you snagged that very nice Middlesex 1017 on David Stuarts site.  That one was one my "watch" list for a long time, as it is a really nice example (if even a common token).  Your write-ups on your site are also very nice!  :D  I recognize a couple others among your collection from David's site also.  Great eye!  

Thanks, I appreciate that especially coming from you! I have just nabbed another interesting couple from David, which will be appearing shortly! :)

Nice collection of different tonings Brian. The top right one almost looks untoned? 

• Like 1

Very close but you can tell the toning against the BU 1947, etc.. Still looks nice though. Problem with me is that I like them all from the deep chocolate sheen to the orangey hue. They all have a beautiful sheen to them. I do have a number of 44 and 46 as well all different hues. Maybe something to keep a hold off as an example of this period of the RM bronze production. Also have a number of spares as well so will have to start unloading some at some point.I have quite a few spare Geo V & VI now in Unc condition, mostly the later Geo V - 1928 and on (no top notch 32 or 34 though, yet! just EF toned or near EF). I get what Pete mean't now about those 2.

Yeah those 2 are hard dates, the 1932 isn't too difficult to get, it just costs a pretty penny, it's the 1934 that you'll be forever looking for and upgrading! Im finally happy with mine, would only need to upgrade if one in UNC and with lustre came along, but I've only ever seen one full BU, forgot where I saw it, and have forever been searching for that picture since :( 

• Like 1

Lovely conders Paulus :) I especially like the obverse(?) of the bottom one with the hands holding the triangle. What's the greeny patch on it do you know?