British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

brg5658

Let's See Your Copper Coins, Tokens, Or Medals!

Picked up this 1919 penny. Sorry for the quality of the pictures -- the slab is scratched all to heck.

1919_UK_1Penny_NGC_MS64BN_composite_no_l

That's an unusual London example of the 1919 - presumably because of the wearing obverse die (quite apparent from the lack of hair detail and flattening ear, and common enough in the years 1915 - 1919), the reverse has been fully struck up as can be seen from Britannia's face and breastplate. It may well be that even a minute reduction in the obverse profile - in this case due to die wear - could lessen the 'sucking away of metal' problem so often seen in the general mushiness of Britannia's upper.

• Like 1

That 1919 is quite a nice specimen and certainly better struck than the "H"s of that year....

Picked up this rare 1878 Wide Date Halfpenny. I had been looking for one for a while so it was quite an outlay but I'm happy with it as I haven't seen a better example and even the Nicholson collection didn't have a wide date currency issue :D

post-7996-0-38675700-1406297061_thumb.jp

post-7996-0-84842100-1406297074_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Picked up this 1919 penny. Sorry for the quality of the pictures -- the slab is scratched all to heck.

1919_UK_1Penny_NGC_MS64BN_composite_no_l

That's an unusual London example of the 1919 - presumably because of the wearing obverse die (quite apparent from the lack of hair detail and flattening ear, and common enough in the years 1915 - 1919), the reverse has been fully struck up as can be seen from Britannia's face and breastplate. It may well be that even a minute reduction in the obverse profile - in this case due to die wear - could lessen the 'sucking away of metal' problem so often seen in the general mushiness of Britannia's upper.

Hi Peck, I agree. I actually purchased this example because I thought Britannia was struck up much nicer than most I have seen for this date. The face and upper torso details are usually mushy at best. Also, I gave £26 for it, so it didn't break the bank. It is slabbed by NGC as an MS64BN grade, so some of the expense was paying a little for the plastic coffin. But, regardless, it's quite lovely and lustrous in hand. Below is a larger image of the Britannia imagery.

1919_UK_1Penny_NGC_MS64BN_rev_zpsdb15160

Yes, I'll have to have a look at my 1911-1926 pennies to see how many I've got with a 'good' Britannia. I suspect it will be a minority, which will include the 1915 'recessed ear' variety, an experiment I never understand why they never persisted with as it seemed to fix the problem to a large extent.

I've just acquired an 1860 BB/TB Penny that's graded by NGC as MS 64 RB.

post-7603-0-74845300-1406564806_thumb.jp

post-7603-0-46500900-1406564848_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wow! I didn't even known an example in MS64 existed! The nicest I saw were the examples in the Laurie Bamford sale ('05 I think?). Is that an auction piece? It must have set you back a small fortune!

This coin was a real bargain, IF you knew about the auction that was held in New York on June 17, 2014.

It was the Spink New York Sale 320. Unfortunately, I didn't know about that sale, so I bought the coin from an online dealer at a much higher price.

So, if you want to kick yourself, have a look at the quality and rarity of lot nos. 1001-1082 and the winning bids for those coins on the Spink website. You and I should definitively have bought plane tickets to New York for that sale!

This coin was a real bargain, IF you knew about the auction that was held in New York on June 17, 2014.

It was the Spink New York Sale 320. Unfortunately, I didn't know about that sale, so I bought the coin from an online dealer at a much higher price.

So, if you want to kick yourself, have a look at the quality and rarity of lot nos. 1001-1082 and the winning bids for those coins on the Spink website. You and I should definitively have bought plane tickets to New York for that sale!

Spink should have advertised it to collectors in Britain. You never know, there might have been fewer bargains. Somewhere on this forum is a general rant about the lack of marketing for the NY sales which most didn't know about until the results were posted. Bargains were definitely to be had.

I still slobber over that 1882 London mint coin, and wished the funds had been there - price high, but a bargain compared to those infernal "narrow dates".

The 1869 was beautiful as well, not to mention the 1864 and the 1875H and the 19KN, and the ....

Edited by VickySilver

I still slobber over that 1882 London mint coin, and wished the funds had been there - price high, but a bargain compared to those infernal "narrow dates".

The 1869 was beautiful as well, not to mention the 1864 and the 1875H and the 19KN, and the ....

Tissue? I did see the sale about 3 weeks prior but assumed those who should have known about it knew about it

1694 halfpenny with unbarred A's in Britannia. Near VF for type.

Nice to find in this condition.

4 of date high over exergue too.

post-8388-0-08927000-1406902871_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-11064500-1406902850_thumb.jp

Here's a close up of the reverse…...

post-8388-0-20244100-1407002073_thumb.pn

I've just acquired an 1875H Penny that's graded by NGC as MS 64 RB at the Stack's-Bowers ANA auction.

post-7603-0-45475800-1407443298_thumb.jp

post-7603-0-91258200-1407443711_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I've just acquired an 1875H Penny that's graded by NGC as MS 64 RB at the Stack's-Bowers ANA auction.

Beautiful, Cathrine! I can only lust...

William IV Third Farthing.

11vUaI.jpg

O6G5jk.jpg

nice halfpenny Cathrine !

Jaggy, gorgeous 1/3rd farthing as well, but I've not been drawn to them yet as they weren't used in UK or Aus as far as I know ??

Looks pretty much "as struck" too but don't listen to me it's Friday arv here and you know what that means. :):) time for my bottle.

Have a good weekend all !!

cheers

Garrett.

Catherine,

I was one of the people on the floor bidding on that one, yesterday in Chicago. There were some nice Penny's being sold. Congratulations on a great buy!

Bob,

I was an internet bidder and took a stab at five coins: the 1849 farthing, and the 1864, 1865/3, 1871, and 1875H pennies. Perhaps we crossed swords on several of those besides the 1875H? I was runner-up on the 1864 and 1865/3 pennies; the prices were lofty, but the quality was high.

Bob,

I was an internet bidder and took a stab at five coins: the 1849 farthing, and the 1864, 1865/3, 1871, and 1875H pennies. Perhaps we crossed swords on several of those besides the 1875H? I was runner-up on the 1864 and 1865/3 pennies; the prices were lofty, but the quality was high.

The only other coin I bid on was the 1869 Penny, which jumped into the stratosphere very quickly, the bidding was frantic on it! :)

nice halfpenny Cathrine !

Jaggy, gorgeous 1/3rd farthing as well, but I've not been drawn to them yet as they weren't used in UK or Aus as far as I know ??

Looks pretty much "as struck" too but don't listen to me it's Friday arv here and you know what that means. :):) time for my bottle.

Have a good weekend all !!

cheers

Garrett.

Garrett ...

Yep, the third farthings were struck for use in Malta. I have been there twice and it is a lovely place and the people very nice. Anyway, there is not a big date series for third farthings and not a big mintage for each date. So I started picking them up if the quality was there and the price was right. Gives me something to do if there are no eligible sixpences in the auction.

It is nice to see the quality of engraving on such a small coin and the Victoria third farthings, in particular, have a very pleasing image of her.

• Like 1

Bob,

The only other coin I bid on was the 1869 Penny, which jumped into the stratosphere very quickly, the bidding was frantic on it! :)

The 1869 penny in the earlier Spink USA sale appeared to be a far nicer coin and sold for $750 less than the one in the Stack's sale.

• Like 1

Here's another recent acquisition. It's an 1853/2 halfpenny in a high state of preservation, a scarce coin. Its pedigree is ex Dr. Basil Nicholson collection.

post-7603-0-58212600-1407525914_thumb.jp

post-7603-0-75654600-1407525930_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Here's another recent acquisition. It's an 1853/2 halfpenny in a high state of preservation, a scarce coin. Its pedigree is ex Dr. Basil Nicholson collection.

The start of verdigris showing in the REV there, plus the small fingerprint. What was it graded as?