British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

leeshiel

Unique Coin Of King Stephan

Hi, I thought I would post this Unique coin of king Stephan, its the only one known from this new die and its also the first known Stephan coin known to be minted at tutbury.

post-8155-0-43951200-1383589934_thumb.jppost-8155-0-53870600-1383589948_thumb.jp

Interesting. While I would not claim to be an expert, this is certainly not a die obv/rev combination I've ever seen for Stephen before.

Do you happen to know who attributed (ID'd) it?

Edited by TomGoodheart

Don't know who attributed it, but the mint signature is TVT.

Hi, I thought I would post this Unique coin of king Stephan, its the only one known from this new die and its also the first known Stephan coin known to be minted at tutbury.

attachicon.gifDSCN4872.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN4875.JPG

I posted that picture from the facebook metal detecting forum in which it was uploaded about 5-6 weeks ago. You can see it in the coin aquisition of the week thread. TVT would be tutbury Rob? Edited by azda

Detecting find?

Hopefully a full attribution can be arrived at.

Looks fantastic regardless. :)

Hi tom

Dr Martin Allen, Fitzwilliam Museum,

King Stephen Penny
1135-1154

Midland Group

Obverse: X[ ][H?]ANV[s?], Crude head right crowned with sceptre
Reverse: WALCAL[]TVT, Short Cross Voided with bird in each angle

Moneyer: Walchelinus

Mint: Tutbury

Metal: Silver

North 900 variant

Nb: This is an extremely rare coin of King Stephen and minted at Tutbury. It is unique in that there are no other known examples of its type.

I am reasonably confident that this is a coin of the Derby moneyer Walchelinus (spelt WALCAL[ ] on this coin) from Tutbury, providing the first clear evidence of a mint at Tutbury in the reign of Stephen.

Dr Martin Allen, Fitzwilliam Museum

Detecting find?

Hi peter, yes it was a detecting find found by myself, EMC 2013.0332.

Well done on your find. :)

Better stop looking in case you find a hoard of them.

Superb work that the Fitz can now record it for all. :)

Detecting find?

What do you intend on doing with it?

If it needs a new home, I would be willing to act as a repository. :)

If it needs a new home, I would be willing to act as a repository. :)

You and Clive lol

Detecting find?

What do you intend on doing with it?

After a lot of thought i will be selling the coin.

Where do I send my £10 cheque?

Where do I send my £10 cheque?

To me. All contributions gratefully received. Ta.

I am reasonably confident that this is a coin of the Derby moneyer Walchelinus (spelt WALCAL[ ] on this coin) from Tutbury, providing the first clear evidence of a mint at Tutbury in the reign of Stephen.

Dr Martin Allen, Fitzwilliam Museum

LOL Shows how little I know! There was I thinking it looked like an Ashmore obv!

Good find!

...the first known Stephan coin known to be minted at tutbury.

Tutbury is a known mint for Stephen, though, as is seen with Spink reference 1297. So not the first known.

...the first known Stephan coin known to be minted at tutbury.

Tutbury is a known mint for Stephen, though, as is seen with Spink reference 1297. So not the first known.

Thanks clive,

I am not sure what -- means in the spinks book tbh, but I can not see are find a tutbury mint Stephan coin anywhere, and the words from DR Allan is

Ive also been in talks with spinks about the coin in question and and they have never disputed DR Allen on his verdict,

Would you please tell me more,

Regards

Lee

Coins of a slightly different style have been given to Tutbury on the basis of the mint reading. Essentially a crude bust of what is otherwise a normal Stephen penny with a voided cross and outward pointing lis in the angles. Your coin with the martlets in the angles was previously known only at Derby. There was a cut half of Tutbury on ebay about 2 years(?) ago.

The reigns of Henry I, Stephen and the Anarchy are the least represented of all reigns in numismatic terms, with new mints, moneyers and even types recorded on a regular basis, an estimate that we know of only a third of the mint outputs in this period would not be too wide of the mark. e.g. Last week at the Timelines sale they had a Stephen penny from a previously unknown moneyer at a mint that wasn't known to be striking Stephen pennies (Wareham). Previously it was only known with coins of Matilda during this period. Two lots later was a coin attributed to Cirencester during the Anarchy. A generation ago, this mint wouldn't have even been suggested as a possible location. This period in history is quite fluid at the moment due to recent discoveries such as the Box hoard where previously unknown mints were attributed as a result of the contents. Your coin fills yet another hole in the jigsaw. :)

Edited by Rob

Hi rob,

Thank you, I understand all that, but is this not a fact that tvt on this coin is a first Stephan coin to confirm this please ?,

Regards

Lee

It might be the first complete coin known of this type, but the Tutbury cut half on eBay was also a Stephen. It sold for £158. It's quite possible that the half wasn't recorded, as many finds just end up on eBay without people going to the trouble of logging them.

I've been looking for an image, but it seems I have lost it for the moment. I suspect it got erased during a periodic clean up of the pictures folder to make space for new ones

Hi rob, thanks for the information, I would love to see a picture of it if you do find it please, also on my coin they appears to be a crescent moon on the obverse above his head, or am i seeing things thanks for any information.

Hi rob, also on my coin they appears to be a crescent moon on the obverse above his head, or am i seeing things...

Crikey, leeshiel,

As you sure you don't know what you're talking about? Are you already deep into an academic work on this era? :)

Looks like his crown, not a moon, with the crescent in the legend part of an S

Lol coinery, i love hammered coins and willing and trying to learn about them, i find a fair few of hammered coins each year and they all fascinate me in any condition, this is a special find for me and i want to know everything about it, maybe one day i will know what i am talking about but i have a long long way to go :-(.

@ rob thank you yes that's what i meant maybe two ?