British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

leeshiel

Unique Coin Of King Stephan

It might be the first complete coin known of this type, but the Tutbury cut half on eBay was also a Stephen. It sold for £158. It's quite possible that the half wasn't recorded, as many finds just end up on eBay without people going to the trouble of logging them.

I've been looking for an image, but it seems I have lost it for the moment. I suspect it got erased during a periodic clean up of the pictures folder to make space for new ones

Thanks rob, but after doing lots of research on this it was not set in stone by the mint mark it was a maybe my coin is the only clear evidence of a Stephan coin minted at tutbury and the only one recorded :-).

Hi all, And thanks for the interest and offers for this coin, it is now in the hands of DNW auctions, and will be on sale 2nd april 2014, I will provide a rough location of the find to the winning bidder of this coin if needed.

Just wanted to say well done on finding & recording a superb coin,I found a unique coin a couple of yrs ago & recorded it with M.Allen at the fitz so I know how you feel,although mine was a patch on yours.

• Like 1

£8000-£10000 is a hell of an estimate

• Like 1

A little more information on dnw now about the coin, Martin Allen is doing a write up on the coin and I am looking forward to reading it.

post-8155-0-44735900-1393789350_thumb.pn

I hope it does well for you lee,are you going to the auction ?,I think I would.

• Like 1

Hi john, thank you, no I will not be going down but I will watch it online, it will be a shame for it to go but I have my memories and needs must, I am sure it will go to a good home and it will be interesting to see Martin allen's write up unfold.

Regards

Lee

post-8155-0-63500300-1393841750_thumb.pn

Yes good luck.

I'd have no qualms about selling it either and it sure will go to a good home.

Will be interesting to hear how it goes, keep us updated !

Leeshiel,

This is such an interesting story that just seems to run and run. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Would it be possible to share Martin's write up when completed?

Look for forward to more news.

Kind regards

Mark

The estimate was very close though. Making £7,000. In a few of the national papers as well....well done by the way.

Edited by Danelaw

The estimate was very close though. Making £7,000. In a few of the national papers as well....well done by the way.

It did'nt sell due to the estimate being too high

• Like 1

It did'nt sell due to the estimate being too high

Also due to some confusion whether this is actually the first coin of Tutbury as at least one other has surfaced online in recent years.

• Like 2

I quite enjoy reading old threads. Some reach a conclusion. Others descend into mayhem and occasionally, like this one, the story ends abruptly.

Does anyone know the history of the coin since this thread ended? Just curious.