British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The simple solution is to send it back.

I've bought just 2 coins from them and have no plans for a 3rd.

The thing is their stocks are massive (I wonder why?) It is the same with a major (non internet) dealer

always at fairs who has a fantastic stock list but prices are :o.

I always look at their coins and then move on.

I have never bought from them and sold them one coin about 6 years ago. It is still on the list. The 1861 halfcrown now priced at £750 (wt. 12.88g.). I sold it for £200 at the time which I thought reasonable. The current 3 pieces of this date listed are 750, 850 & 950. Unsurprisingly, all have been there a long time.

Edited by Rob

Agreed with the comments about Ingrams. Definately overgraded by at least 1 full grade

I've been trawling the internet for info, and appreciate that we don't know exactly how many have been produced, but from those that we are aware of, do we know where they are?

I've been trawling the internet for info, and appreciate that we don't know exactly how many have been produced, but from those that we are aware of, do we know where they are?

Mostly, yes. Though owners generally wish to remain private.

Ah ok, that makes sens, so it's private owners? I was wondering (hoping) it would have been museums or the like.

Ah ok, that makes sens, so it's private owners? I was wondering (hoping) it would have been museums or the like.

The British Museum and Royal Mint museum both have an example.

Thanks

The difficulty comes because there are at least three types. The original 6 (or 7!) were produced to go under foundation stones which Geo V was laying in 1933. At least one of those was robbed out later, and one other sold by the church owners who didn't want to run the risk.

Then there is the 'Lavrillier' pattern, where the portrait has been completely refashioned, and Britannia comes with a much wider rim and longer teeth (not Britannia herself you understand :D ). There are at least four of these, and they are the ones that come up for sale most often - Colin Cooke sold one a few years back, and it's still on his website.

Finally there is a uniface strike of the Lavrillier pattern (obverse only), which has also been sold.

The biggest unknown is the whereabouts of all the original 6 or 7, though most are actually accounted for.

The Colin Cooke one shows as 'sold' - wonder what it went for? Neil, are you allowed to say?

• Like 1

Although I don't collect proofs or patterns, I would not refuse to have any of the above varieties in my collection....

I couldn't afford any of them but I wouldn't refuse any of them if offered... LOL :)

The Colin Cooke one shows as 'sold' - wonder what it went for? Neil, are you allowed to say?

£18,000 to the collector who also bought the ms 64 red 1827 1d out of the same sale.

The difficulty comes because there are at least three types. The original 6 (or 7!) were produced to go under foundation stones which Geo V was laying in 1933. At least one of those was robbed out later, and one other sold by the church owners who didn't want to run the risk.

Then there is the 'Lavrillier' pattern, where the portrait has been completely refashioned, and Britannia comes with a much wider rim and longer teeth (not Britannia herself you understand :D ). There are at least four of these, and they are the ones that come up for sale most often - Colin Cooke sold one a few years back, and it's still on his website.

Finally there is a uniface strike of the Lavrillier pattern (obverse only), which has also been sold.

The biggest unknown is the whereabouts of all the original 6 or 7, though most are actually accounted for.

There are both obv and rev unifaces.

I need one of these too. :(

Having googled the 1933 penny last week, I've been looking more and more at pennies and am really starting to appreciate their beauty. I'm starting to think that my collecting focus is going to shift from Georgie Boy the third, to pennies.

There are both obv and rev unifaces.

I need one of these too. :(

Join the club! :(

Having googled the 1933 penny last week, I've been looking more and more at pennies and am really starting to appreciate their beauty. I'm starting to think that my collecting focus is going to shift from Georgie Boy the third, to pennies.

Welcome to the club :)

Welcome to the club :)

:(

£30k +

I was thinking it might make 6 figures, even in 'about fine' - not that grade would be as big a consideration as normal! Imagine the kudos if you owned one that was universally agreed to be genuine ... sky's the limit!

I would guess £85k+

Bernie was offering his at £52k several years ago I seem to remember.......its £100k+ today without a doubt.....

this is the nearest I have got... o well

1012325.jpg

Now that has to be the very worst 'home made' example I've ever seen : dig a hole roughly where the second 3 should be, dig out a 3 from another penny, then take a hammer... :lol: