British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

What's the point of these? You'd think if someone was going to the trouble of making dies to manufacture these things, the least they could do would be make them realistic. The size of the beads for a start.......!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1933-GEORGE-V-PENNY-FREE-POST-UK-ONLY-/261320089881?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item3cd7e42119

On a scale of 1-100 possibly 1 point, instead of a date hole in a cabinet or album ... but not at that price!

What's the point of these? You'd think if someone was going to the trouble of making dies to manufacture these things, the least they could do would be make them realistic. The size of the beads for a start.......!

Is making an accurate copy of coin of the Realm not forgery? or does the law only cover only items that are currently legal tender?

more "fillers" here

Though I do have a soft spot for these

touristpennytokens-1.jpg

Anything that might encourage youngsters to take an interest should be welcomed

Interesting bits of my "penny" collection - Oddments section

does anyone know if others exist, these two certainly from the same manufacturer - sure the H does not refer to Heaton :)

Edited by davidrj

more "fillers" here

Though I do have a soft spot for these

touristpennytokens-1.jpg

Anything that might encourage youngsters to take an interest should be welcomed

Interesting bits of my "penny" collection - Oddments section

does anyone know if others exist, these two certainly from the same manufacturer - sure the H does not refer to Heaton :)

Reminds me of Victorian 'Toy Money', nothing wrong with encouraging the young-uns! :)

I agree, that reproduction is all wrong. I would rather have a space filler that looked like this:

Penny1933%20F209%205%20+%20C%20REV%20500Penny1933%20F209%205%20+%20C%20OBV%20500

A reproduction that looks like the real thing is more interesting than a "fantasy" coin. There are plenty of fantasy coins for Edward VIII but I haven't seen a decent copy of a real coin. Wonder why.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1933-GEORGE-V-PENNY-FREE-POST-UK-ONLY-/261320089881?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item3cd7e42119

I guess the point of them being so 'unrealistic ugly' is to make it impossible to convert them to a 'real fake'! After all, real fakes are worth 3 figures on eBay.

Is making an accurate copy of coin of the Realm not forgery? or does the law only cover only items that are currently legal tender?

Yes, I think the law only covers legal tender. But if you faked a non-current coin with the intent to deceive and con people out of their hard-earned, that would be illegal too (though a different law).

I agree, that reproduction is all wrong. I would rather have a space filler that looked like this:

Penny1933%20F209%205%20+%20C%20REV%20500Penny1933%20F209%205%20+%20C%20OBV%20500

Now you're talking!!

Snap!

1933AEcForgery-1.jpg

Not as good as yours though

Edited by davidrj

As I understand it, made from a 1935 with the whole exergue lowered and the numbers recut. Incredibly skillful and probably worth the three figures (as long as those figures aren't too big) that you'll pay for it.

Here's a few more

If one were to come onto the market….

You mean a real one? Verified by several 'experts'? What do you think it would fetch??

£30k +

I was thinking it might make 6 figures, even in 'about fine' - not that grade would be as big a consideration as normal! Imagine the kudos if you owned one that was universally agreed to be genuine ... sky's the limit!

£30k +

I was thinking it might make 6 figures, even in 'about fine' - not that grade would be as big a consideration as normal! Imagine the kudos if you owned one that was universally agreed to be genuine ... sky's the limit!

I would guess £85k+

Didn't Peck get one in his change in a nightclub? B)

£30k +

I would guess £85k+
I'm trying not to talk the price up! ;)

100k + easy, think of the world interest in such a famous penny, the kings, princes, Arabs, museums!!!!!

That bottom coin of the 3 is really stonkin', I can see why your eyes sparkled AC! :)

Didn't Peck get one in his change in a nightclub? B)

LOL - the first time I ever went to a nightclub I was underage and pissed. Every time after that, we'd gone decimal; I couldn't even score a 1967. :rolleyes:

Anyone else think Ingrams grading is generally on the over exagerated side......?

http://www.ringramcoins.com/english_coins_antique_coins_catalogue.shtml

This is described as "cleverly altered". I reckon a 14 year old kid in metalwork class could have made a better job!

And a lot of Ingrams other grading is well suspect IMHO.

Edited by RChris

Anyone else think Ingrams grading is generally on the over exagerated side......?

Yes, I agree completely. I get their updated listings in the post and by email but rarely look at them any more, they appear to consistently over-grade (quite significantly, we are talking more 'Country Cottage' than 'Bucks Coins' in the over-grading stakes), and their pics are appalling.

Disclaimer: All just my personal opinion!

Yes, I agree completely. I get their updated listings in the post and by email but rarely look at them any more, they appear to consistently over-grade (quite significantly, we are talking more 'Country Cottage' than 'Bucks Coins' in the over-grading stakes), and their pics are appalling.

Disclaimer: All just my personal opinion!

I bought some coins from them in the past. All were overgraded by at least one grade. One AU shilling was more like VF.

Never again.

The simple solution is to send it back.

I've bought just 2 coins from them and have no plans for a 3rd.

The thing is their stocks are massive (I wonder why?) It is the same with a major (non internet) dealer

always at fairs who has a fantastic stock list but prices are :o.

I always look at their coins and then move on.