British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MACKSILKY.

Rough Vic Farthing 1850?

Definitely an 1850

• Like 1

Definitely an 1850

and definitely not a 1860.

Thanks paul and colin,i now know it's 1850.But the 5 looks like it's been struck over another number.This is not a very good image.Just getting to grips with this photography lark.If i get a better image i will post it,thanks james.

You'd be asking a lot for that to be a 4, making the die 10 year's old (after doing a stint)! You'd also be needing other numerals to be involved, unless you are suggesting 1840/50??

Edit: sorry, 50/40

Edited by Coinery

It looks to me like something has made some sort of mark on the neck in an oval/circle, stamp?

There are definitely 5/4 examples with the 1850 farthings and 5/7 and 5/3 are also rumoured, but I am convinced they are all the same 5/4 in different stages of progression if you bear in mind that they were using master dies with the first three digits struck a 5/4 is very likely as the end of the 40's and the beginning of the 50's began.

http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Site%20Images/Victoria/Copper/1850-Obv2b.jpg

There are definitely 5/4 examples with the 1850 farthings and 5/7 and 5/3 are also rumoured, but I am convinced they are all the same 5/4 in different stages of progression if you bear in mind that they were using master dies with the first three digits struck a 5/4 is very likely as the end of the 40's and the beginning of the 50's began.

http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Site%20Images/Victoria/Copper/1850-Obv2b.jpg

Ah, yes, but not with an unaffected 0 to follow though surely? I'm talking blind now, so don't string me up:)...I can easily comprehend an 1850/49 etc, etc, but are there such overdates as 1850's over 1840's or their equivalents?

If you imagine the die cut with 184 and no final digit, but it never gets used in the 1840's so at the start of the 1850's they re-punch the die that only has the three digits, so it is now bears 185 and then you can punch any other last digit in place, so that the last digit does not show as re-punched....hope that makes sense?

If you imagine the die cut with 184 and no final digit, but it never gets used in the 1840's so at the start of the 1850's they re-punch the die that only has the three digits, so it is now bears 185 and then you can punch any other last digit in place, so that the last digit does not show as re-punched....hope that makes sense?

It does! :) well, we learn something new every day! Thanks, Colin! :)

Hi guys, i've managed to take a couple of more images from a different angle.Hoping the images are a bit clearer.Cheers james.

dab2d1b9-933a-4332-ae19-3397b66e2ee1_zps

dab2d1b9-933a-4332-ae19-3397b66e2ee1_zps

Curiously, it now reminds me of the familiar 5 over 3 (as in 1865 pennies)

Would it be easier to punch a 5 over a 3 rather than a 5 over 4. Why couldn't they have had a 183 die laying around?

$T2eC16VHJHIFFh,owLS+BSDsDM4RSQ~~60_12.J

Here is a little clearer picture of the 50 over 40 Farthing!

It's hard to say because of it being a rough farthing.What i can say is the bottom arc of the 5 is a lot wider but that maybe wear and tear.Here are two images, one of the 1850? and one of an 1839 by the way the 39's not mine.Imagine a 5 struck over the 3 would that make the bottom arc wider,i'm not sure?

475bb3bb-6802-4bff-96de-12f44b2050af_zps

76faf575-d118-45a1-a2c0-cc2b015b1a76_zps

Nice one Bob.

How does that compare to yours, MackSilky?

Thanks Declan...the 1850 over 40 is going to be on ebay later today!

Nice one Bob.

Recently discovered due to this thread??!! :)

Nice one Bob.

Recently discovered due to this thread??!! :)

No, not a new find. I've had it for a number of years. In fact, I have two of them...the second not as good.

I can see whe

Curiously, it now reminds me of the familiar 5 over 3 (as in 1865 pennies)

I agree that it has the same appearance, but this feature is also visible in the 5/4. I have yet to see an example that clearly illustrates a 5/3, but it is certainly feasible.

Also worth noting that there are at least two different dies with the 5/4 feature, one is further to the left than the other so much more of the underlying 4 is visible.

Hi everyone im new , i was going threw my coin collection when i stumbled on a penny farthing i had to look a number of times to try and work out what the date said as the 3rd digit looked odd ,could you please give me info on the subject and possible value thanks 42C35411-D88B-4DDF-883C-FF9727B3E77D.png

A penny farthing???

They do look virtually identical it must be admitted ... except the penny is even larger than the old predecimal penny, and the farthing is approximately the size of a modern 1p :) Yours is a farthing as there weren't pennies in 1850.

As to the 3rd digit, it's definitely a 5, though probably the '5 over inverted 5' variety.

I'm afraid it is worn - between Fair and Fine grade, so worth only a couple of pounds.