British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi everyone

Noble auction 104 catalogue is up if anyone interested.

http://www.noble.com.au/auctions/search/?sale=104

cheers

Garrett

1953 3d and 6d estimate $200 - am I missing something here?? :o

Some good stuff in there. Thanks for the link.

Aussie 1953 may be worth more than the equivalent UK coins.

Elizabeth II 6d is a Limited mintage of only 1,152 coins an UNC in McDonalds is $425 choice UNC $725 Gem $1250 and proof $55,000

Similar Applied to the 3d, limited mintage of 7664 and a proof would cost $47,500 and gem is $385 so i guess they don't come up often

Aussie 1953 may be worth more than the equivalent UK coins.

Oh, they're AUSSIE coins? That'll teach me to read it properly first.

I've got a few of my English Queens in the GB Gold section from the top shelf..

A lot of nicer specimens of the more common dates it seems….Been a while since I've bought from them, how are prices in the last sale or two?

Good if you're buying in GBP or USD

Just looking closely at the catalogue.

I am interested in picking up a 1763 shilling at some time in the future, but worried about all the fakes that are out there.

Noble has two in the auction coming up, lots 2385 and 2954.

Lot 2954 has the scratches from the kings mouth, and the open topped letters on the obverse.

This looks risky, I thought buying from an auction house like this would be totally safe !

Just looking closely at the catalogue.

I am interested in picking up a 1763 shilling at some time in the future, but worried about all the fakes that are out there.

Noble has two in the auction coming up, lots 2385 and 2954.

Lot 2954 has the scratches from the kings mouth, and the open topped letters on the obverse.

This looks risky, I thought buying from an auction house like this would be totally safe !

I got mine from Downies, and even when I took it to them in hand and asked them to confirm it was okay they had no doubts about it ... but it wasn't okay at all. Be very wary!

This is the fella, rejected by CGS because (mainly) of the shape of the 6 in the date (the lower part of it should be a more 'rounded 'O'):

1763_Shilling_Rev03_zps1f57803c.png

Edited by Paulus

Thanks for the advice, yes it would be best to be wary.

I've just read through some more posts on this forum and elsewhere in regards to the 1763 shilling, interesting but scary.

I think if I do ever get one I would also be inclined to get a third party to double check it.

Did yours weigh the correct amount ? Did you measure the specific gravity (I have no experience here, just been watching YouTube videos) ?

I was going to bid on a couple of lots in the Noble sale. Now I am beginning to wonder.

The garter star and edge are the big stand-outs for me on this coin!

I think at some point it would be worth a proper study into what's right and wrong about these coins, as I'd like one too one day! This is the kind of good fun, research-journey, type collectors can get involved in, as it must be on the list for most?

It's usually easy to discount cast and electrotype fakes at the macro level, as was clear with John's 1905 shilling (thread here somewhere), which looks great in-hand, except for the 'bulge', which could easily have not been there, and weight (mostly). However, milled fake/counterfeits are a very different animal, of course! With these we need a die-study to firstly identify what's correct, and how many varieties (if any) are in existence, and then a die study of the fakes (at the level seuk has been doing) because, no matter how well they make the fake dies, there is always something to ID it at the micro level - at least there is at the moment!

Think I picked up a couple of pennies (one a bargain if I actually got it!). Will have to wait for the confirmation/invoice. It will have been worth waking early for :)

Yes, that is what I was saying, some nice specimens of less rare dates - I have previously won some nice bits from their auctions...

Do share pictures of your winnings if you are able.

I put a couple of bids in. Didn't win anything. To be honest, I am saving my spondulicks for the London Coins auction and for DNW.

Having so many auctions so close together is not good business IMHO. One of them should take the plunge and get onto a different cycle.

Yes, that is what I was saying, some nice specimens of less rare dates - I have previously won some nice bits from their auctions...

I'll definitely share all photos when I've received confirmation from Noble. In the meantime, I did put in a 'lowball' proxy-bid for this 1837 penny, which I appear to have won. If so, it'll be a nice surprise!

It's not perfect, but certainly at the comfortable end of EF:

post-5762-0-68579600-1385566237_thumb.jp

Edited by Accumulator

I'll definitely share all photos when I've received confirmation from Noble. In the meantime, I did put in a 'lowball' proxy-bid for this 1837 penny, which I appear to have won. If so, it'll be a nice surprise!

It's not perfect, but certainly at the comfortable end of EF:

attachicon.gif1837.jpg

Accumulator...that is a beautiful Penny. Good find!

Fingers X on the 1837.

To not get it now would be gut wrenching.

Lovely tone. :)

Fingers X on the 1837.

To not get it now would be gut wrenching.

Lovely tone. :)

You're right. It was less than half the price of the example sold by DNW in June, and the same grade. Let's see...

Coin for coin, appears to be well done! This has also been my experience with items won from them - generally have been at least as nice as photos.

There were some lovely coins in the auction, i spent 4 hrs on Saturday viewing the lots, which was nice. I got my 4 so i'm delighted.

Browsing over auction lots is one of life's greatest pleasures, especially when the final price still remains uncertain! :)

I think you can check the 1837 penny as there is a prices realised list on the website. I agonised over putting in a low bid for the cleaned William IV penny but in the end didn't.

I picked up a heap of stuff, would have been a heap more but some lots where I was the highest bidder appears to be unsold, presumably because the reserve was not met.

Fair to say my coin budget is busted and agree having too many auctions close together is not good.

I am glad it's over. I assembled a spreadsheet of lots I was interested in, researched catalogue and past auction prices, examined photo's closely and compared to photo's of authentic coins, examined photo's to see if the grading looked reasonable, worked out how much to bid etc etc etc.

Enjoyable but a bit of work !!

Anyway, congrats to anyone who picked up a nice coin. Looked like there were some bargains made interspersed among the high bids I could not understand !

cheers

Garrett.