British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

goomolique

Just An Idea

Yes i know the basics. I was thinking if there are other varieties than those obvious ones.

I know there are four busts but dont know the difference between them.

Yes i know the basics. I was thinking if there are other varieties than those obvious ones.

I know there are four busts but dont know the difference between them.

You need a copy of The English Silver Coinage (ESC). Here's a copy on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-ENGLISH-SILVER-COINAGE-FROM-1649-H-A-SEABY-P-A-RAYNER-/291184542049?pt=UK_Coins_OtherBritish_RL&hash=item43cbf38161

They are in Spink too. And the Sept 2013 issue of the Circular had the various busts used on the Edinburgh shillings, but with much clearer pictures.

I love this idea very cool. I may do something like this eventually.

I love this idea very cool. I may do something like this eventually.

I think picking up a few good coins that are easily available can be fun. Then you can start to look at things like first year of issue, or examples of major obv/ rev design changes or whatever takes your fancy later.

1787 shillings for example exist in large numbers in better grades. Similarly the 1887 Jubilee Head. While I'm not sure how accurate the actual prices are, those on Tony Clayton's site give you an idea of which are the commoner years for the various denominations. http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/onesh.html

Obviously everything depends on individual budget, but I reckon you could get a Geo III shilling with good 'eye appeal' for around £20-£30. I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get a US coin from 100 years later in as nice condition for that amount.

Just an idea, Rob was kind enough to pick me out some Russian coins as a gift for someone and I got a lovely selection for a very reasonable price. If you didn't mind which years the coins were issued, getting a selection in decent grade from a dealer would both save on say eBay, where you'd pay postage on individual coins, and likely get you a better selection than could be found on US sites or your LCS sirdizzy?

Edited by TomGoodheart

Right.

First two coins of my new collections arrived today.

Two proofs - 1806 penny and 1911 half crown.

Now i know what you meant saying buy the best you can...

Few pounds more and i could get much better coins...

post-7579-0-28504600-1410973140_thumb.jp

Some collectors relish proofs.I do have a few but my penchant is currency.

You've dipped your toe.

If I could choose, all my types would be proofs. Problem is, there's no proof buns, well none that aren't hellas rare.

I like proofs AND currency. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Oh, hell, I love them all, how can you ever decide on aesthetics alone, they're all diamonds? It all comes down to budget, otherwise we'd have them all, an entire museum of the bloody things!

I wouldn't enjoy this hobby, or buying/collecting anything if I had bottomless pockets, where is the joy in acquiring anything if that is the case? So it just comes down to budget and personal preference, and 'the eye of the beholder' - the main criterion for me is 'do I like it?'

Just so happens at the moment most of what I like is increasingly high grade / price! But one of the joys of coin collecting for me is it can suit all pockets, and when my budget is limited I have found just as much pleasure collecting Conder tokens or decimals (as long as they have that crucial eye appeal!).

Further high grade hammered and early milled will have to wait a little longer.As many have commented before, it can be just as much fun to branch off into something more affordable for a while - my VF or better silver threepences have been acquired at around bullion value on average (which will be what most of them are worth tbh, but there are a few notable exceptions).

Didn't like proofs at first, preferred the thought that they were designed to be circulated. Now, where proofs are available, I want the best type example, which is sometimes a proof.

All part of the fun!

If you had bottomless pockets, it still wouldn't guarantee you could buy anything you wanted. The spectacular prices realised at auction arise because there is only one coin to share between two or more people with competitively deep pockets. Take yesterday's sale at DNW where the Shrewsbury 2/6d sold for £18k hammer - silly money. It isn't even an interesting type, but the catalogue said probably the finest known and so two people waded in with both feet, paying at least 5x more than it was worth to the rest of the world. The 1644 W/SA halfcrowns typically sell for £5K all in, yet are easily as rare as a die combination. It was just hyped up.

That's true Rob, guess it's the same for Picassos and Van Goghs etc for the ultra rich!

But a billionnaire will tend to get what he/she wants in the end, once it's eventually for sale - most of the time - don't you think? Guess there's a difference - on a budget you win battles finding something on your wish list within budget, with bottomless pockets perhaps you gain satisfaction finding that what you desire is for sale at all? I'll never know!

With hindsight I could concentrate my efforts on a few things meaning that it would not have been necessary in the past week to come second on the pieces I did.

And another one. Only 23 to go...

1700 William III shilling

BTW what would you grade it?

Very nice indeed, is that your William III example acquired now then?

I would grade it as EF if not a tad better :)

Yes it is.

From latest DNW auction.

As im new to auctions i think i overpaid a little forgetting about buyers premium :blink:

Here's my example of the same coin. For grading comparison, CGS graded it at 65 (GEF) and I bought it from Rob, who had it around the same:

1700_SH_CGS_400x800_zps49c92ae2.png

Edited by Paulus
  • Like 1

And another one. Only 23 to go...

1700 William III shilling

BTW what would you grade it?

Minimum EF but probably markedly better.

Nice coins

Edited by azda

Three new coins.

20 to go... :)

Time to get some hammered.

Any suggestions?

I do something similar in terms of what I'm collecting. Your goals are more difficult than they seem or you could effectively end up building a nice collection of hammered and milled groats.

There are issues with Philip and Mary and Cromwell. If one that appeals to you for either comes up then snap it up as I for one haven't got the balls now to spend £2,000 on a shilling in a molested VF which seems to be about the going rate. :( So when one does slip through the net... also there's an argument for buying the most expensive / hardest to obtain first if you do intend to buy them eventually anyway, even if it means passing on 10 purchases just to get 1.