British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

goomolique

Just An Idea

You have got me thinking more and more Goomo that this would make for a really superb collection!

Some ideas:
Consider the audience for your collection - are you going to keep it quite secret, only looking at it yourself, or wanting to share it with close friends and family as a historical collection of coins through a fascinating period of English history? If the latter, you might want to keep it varied and interesting to the non-collector/non-numismatist, and protect the coins from wear from over-handling (in flips at least). If so, consider coins that major on eye appeal, are of historic interest, and don't need to be looked at using an electron microscope!
Consider how/where you are going to store/display/insure the 20 or so coins.
As Rob says, there is a tremendous range of grades and prices within your stated monarch range and budget. I wouldn't put a maximum of £250 per coin, because you could be more flexible and end up with a more pleasing collection for a total budget of say £200 x 19/20 monarchs = (say) £4k (from Henry VII to William IV. Lady Jane Grey didn't have any coins under her name. I have assumed William and Mary, and William, and Mary, and Philip and Mary, as 4 different monarch types). You could also make an argument for having an example of both Commonwealth and Cromwell.
So while you could have EF or better examples of several denominations for most of the monarchs well within your budget, you might struggle with some of them, so allow a bit more latitude for some common coins to subsidise the rarer ones (in a similar grade/eye appeal).
I believe your budget is realistic for a range of coins that are 'about Fine' or (much) better for all monarchs, as long as you pick and choose carefully. I would try and choose coins that look attractive side-by-side too, i.e. complementary grades/eye appeal.
You might want to try and cover a range of metals as well as denominations across the 19/20 monarchs too (OK tin and some of the non-regular issues might be prohibitive!). But a display including copper, silver and gold across the 350 years or so you have specified might add to its appeal. Likewise Maundy/Gun Money/Proof/Pattern/Tokens if you want a greater range of examples. You might want to avoid too many examples of the same reverse design, while
ensuring that you have at least some examples that are 'historic/commemorative' (eg LIMA, SSC, VIGO, provincial mints, Civil War siege (Charles I), Gun Money (again)).
I wish you great enjoyment and luck with this, my own collection seems to be gravitating towards something similar (but much less focussed) as I pare down a bit!
As I mentioned before, one of the main challenges for me would be staying focussed (and therefore patient), and staying within budget! An old (but very wise) adage is to buy the very best coins you can afford, which might conflict with your desire to get an example of all monarchs in the short term!
Please come back here for advice (preferably BEFORE you make a significant purchase (with photos!)) ... there are many members that will readily give you advice that is far more expert than mine!
Just a brain dump, hope it helps a little with your thought process!

H7? Well you're going to have to get a side and a front profile coin for this reign, as to choose between the old and new style of coinage would just be too difficult! :)

H7? Well you're going to have to get a side and a front profile coin for this reign, as to choose between the old and new style of coinage would just be too difficult! :)

lol, he want's ONE example from each reign! Goodness knows how you would choose just ONE Lizzie to collect Stuart! :)

lol, he want's ONE example from each reign! Goodness knows how you would choose just ONE Lizzie to collect Stuart! :)

Easy peasy - a Rank-Broadly silver Britannia from the late 90s or early noughties should do it. :lol:

You have got me thinking more and more Goomo that this would make for a really superb collection!

Some ideas:
Consider the audience for your collection - are you going to keep it quite secret, only looking at it yourself, or wanting to share it with close friends and family as a historical collection of coins through a fascinating period of English history? If the latter, you might want to keep it varied and interesting to the non-collector/non-numismatist, and protect the coins from wear from over-handling (in flips at least). If so, consider coins that major on eye appeal, are of historic interest, and don't need to be looked at using an electron microscope!
As Rob says, there is a tremendous range of grades and prices within your stated monarch range and budget. I wouldn't put a maximum of £250 per coin, because you could be more flexible and end up with a more pleasing collection for a total budget of say £200 x 19/20 monarchs = (say) £4k (from Henry VII to William IV. Lady Jane Grey didn't have any coins under her name. I have assumed William and Mary, and William, and Mary, and Philip and Mary, as 4 different monarch types). You could also make an argument for having an example of both Commonwealth and Cromwell.
So while you could have EF or better examples of several denominations for most of the monarchs well within your budget, you might struggle with some of them, so allow a bit more latitude for some common coins to subsidise the rarer ones (in a similar grade/eye appeal).
I believe your budget is realistic for a range of coins that are 'about Fine' or (much) better for all monarchs, as long as you pick and choose carefully. I would try and choose coins that look attractive side-by-side too, i.e. complementary grades/eye appeal.
You might want to try and cover a range of metals as well as denominations across the 19/20 monarchs too (OK tin and some of the non-regular issues might be prohibitive!). But a display including copper, silver and gold across the 350 years or so you have specified might add to its appeal. Likewise Maundy/Gun Money/Proof/Pattern/Tokens if you want a greater range of examples. You might want to avoid too many examples of the same reverse design, while
ensuring that you have at least some examples that are 'historic/commemorative' (eg LIMA, SSC, VIGO, provincial mints, Civil War siege (Charles I), Gun Money (again)).
I wish you great enjoyment and luck with this, my own collection seems to be gravitating towards something similar (but much less focussed) as I pare down a bit!
As I mentioned before, one of the main challenges for me would be staying focussed (and therefore patient), and staying within budget! An old (but very wise) adage is to buy the very best coins you can afford, which might conflict with your desire to get an example of all monarchs in the short term!
Please come back here for advice (preferably BEFORE you make a significant purchase (with photos!)) ... there are many members that will readily give you advice that is far more expert than mine!

Great advice Paulus.

Im planning to cover gold/silver/copper and different denominations.

Not sure how to store/display them.

Ive just started reading new books and websites i found but already decided my first coin will be facing bust Henry VII.

BTW

Was there any hammered copper?

Some ideas:

Great advice Paulus.

Im planning to cover gold/silver/copper and different denominations.

Not sure how to store/display them.

Ive just started reading new books and websites i found but already decided my first coin will be facing bust Henry VII.

BTW

There were hammered copper farthings of Charles I and James I, I haven't checked my Spink for others but I suspect you will have a fuller answer by the time I have!

Yes. James I and Charles I farthings. Richmond, Lennox, Maltravers, Harrington etc

I'd rather chop my fingers off than choose between say 10 of my favourite Liz coins! :D

BTW

Yees indeed. James I 'Harrington' type, and several of Charles I (Richmond, Maltravers, ROSA, etc) - I'm talking farthings here.

Edited by Peckris

yea but good luck getting those, hard enough getting Irish issues in silver.

if you want ONE example from each monarch, you can get back to the tudors fairly cheaply, you can't so it on a single denomination, so Don't.

Edward VIII I recommend looking to the colones (west africa etc).

where it gets difficult is the war of the roses period up to Henry VII

anything back to the end of the norman period can be got cheaply, if you go back before the war of the roses.

if you want ONE example from each monarch, you can get back to the tudors fairly cheaply, you can't so it on a single denomination, so Don't.

anything back to the end of the norman period can be got cheaply, if you go back before the war of the roses.

Im going back to Henry VII for now.

I will get different denominations.

Not sure about Edward VIII.

I should have list of the coins i will loook for ready this weekend so will share it for comments.

I should have list of the coins i will loook for ready this weekend so will share it for comments.

Edw VIII is easily resolved if you decide to leave the UK and go for a Commonwealth coin, of which there are examples available. Or you could cheat and go for a GV 1936 coin which continued to be struck all through Edward's brief reign, which is why they are so common.

Edw VIII is easily resolved if you decide to leave the UK and go for a Commonwealth coin, of which there are examples available. Or you could cheat and go for a GV 1936 coin which continued to be struck all through Edward's brief reign, which is why they are so common.

What i meant is im not sure if i should include his coin in this collection.

I mean he was a king but no UK coins struck and i dont really like commonwealth coins.

Well maybe except for crowned bust of KG V...

What i meant is im not sure if i should include his coin in this collection.

I mean he was a king but no UK coins struck and i dont really like commonwealth coins.

Well maybe except for crowned bust of KG V...

In that case, why not just stick to denominations for monarchs that were actually struck for circulation - means you can leave out Ed VIII and the Anne farthings etc.

I find they're not all that hard to obtain, and they're usually quite cheap. Here's an example that's just finished.

I recently bought my first hammered Charles I shilling and i liked it so much that i decided to go ahead with this idea

and get one coin of each King/Queen from Henry VII to present.

I got list of them all and will start looking for coins from next week.

Im looking to spend around £100-£150 per coin 1-2 coins a month.

With this budget obviously I dont expect coins to be in top grade.

If anyone would like to give me a hand it would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

I recently bought my first hammered Charles I shilling and i liked it so much that i decided to go ahead with this idea

and get one coin of each King/Queen from Henry VII to present.

I got list of them all and will start looking for coins from next week.

Im looking to spend around £100-£150 per coin 1-2 coins a month.

With this budget obviously I dont expect coins to be in top grade.

If anyone would like to give me a hand it would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a similar focus at the moment, but I want at least one superb example Tudor to present, with a bit of variety mixed in (i.e. not all silver, not all shillings etc) ... everyone's 'superb' is different of course, and some reigns will be difficult/expensive to get anything in GVF+ together with sufficient eye appeal and very few/zero problems.

For me this means I can release some funds by selling my least-favourite 'duplicates' for some monarchs, helping me to reduce some accumulated debts and justify some upgrades at the same time. I would not set a catch-all budget for each reign personally, perhaps try and identlfy the year/denomination you might want for each and hunt down the very best you can afford.

For me, this is more of a 5 year project rather than a 1-2 year project (there are 24 'monarchs' since H7 (including Cromwell and Ed VIII)) - I guess I would repeat the age-old adage of buying the best you can afford (you won't regret it) and exercising patience!

What are the big gaps you have at the moment? Is the Chas I shilling the first of the collection?

One of the challenges I have (as do others!) relates to the patience factor - at the rate of say 1 coin every 1-2 months (or longer!) the urge to add to/improve my collection requires a little more 'action' than that to satisfy my need, so inexpensive side-lines which help the learning experience and 'feed the beast' can be of use!

Always do not be shy to ask for opinions on here, there is an insatiable appetite to help with critical factors such as grading, cleaning, dipping, authenticity etc :)

Edited by Paulus

Always do not be shy to ask for opinions on here, there is an insatiable appetite to help with critical factors such as grading, cleaning, dipping, authenticity etc :)

Undoubtedly the most important thing when collecting is knowledge. I learnt most of what I know from other collectors who were happy to share their knowledge. And I add to this by spending far too many hours searching for and looking at coins on the internet and in books.

I think that, given that you aren't constrained to collect a particular denomination or date for most reigns, you should be able to get a decent idea of which issues are more easily obtained in better grades from people here. And of course, since you're unlikely to be competing for many rarities, as Paul says, you can afford to ask here for views before buying. Until you feel more confident assessing coins yourself of course!

Well, it's going to be a sixpence, maybe groat, for Liz, then! You won't get an overly decent shilling at the money you propose!

You could, of course, buy a top class Halfgroat or penny for that money...but few seem to like the smaller denominations?

Well, it's going to be a sixpence, maybe groat, for Liz, then! You won't get an overly decent shilling at the money you propose!

You could, of course, buy a top class Halfgroat or penny for that money...but few seem to like the smaller denominations?

I do. :)

Me too

£100-150?

should get decent stuff from each, well Edward will be a pain to get for that range in a decent grade.

also Anne, James II, William and Mary are hard in Higher grades.

Edited by scott

£100-150?

should get decent stuff from each, well Edward will be a pain to get for that range in a decent grade.

also Anne, James II, William and Mary are hard in Higher grades.

And Mary, and Phillip and Mary!