British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

goomolique

Just An Idea

Hi everyone,

i was just thinking it would be nice to have one coin from (almost) every monarch

If i was going to do that what would be the easiest to complete denomination?

or what would be the best way of doing it?

Hi everyone,

i was just thinking it would be nice to have one coin from (almost) every monarch

If i was going to do that what would be the easiest to complete denomination?

or what would be the best way of doing it?

As I narrow down my focus I have often thought the same (1 choice coin from every monarch since milled coinage began for me, so back to a Liz I 6d). And that it would be nice across all the monarchs to show the range of denominations from quarter farthing to 5 guineas/sovereigns/pounds or something!

So this would be a particular variant of very broad type collecting that would make for a wonderful collection ... the most affordable high grades would of course be the most common dates, while preferring those dates with a strong strike ... the question is, how far back are YOU planning to go? You could get a "pleasing" (depending on your definition of "pleasing"!) example of some coin from every monarch since Liz I (with the exception of a genuine English Edward VIII) for a total of perhaps £500, so then it is a question of grade and denomination.

It's a very good collection focus IMHO, and one that non-collectors might be interesting in seeing (for 5 minutes or more at least!)

Edited by Paulus

Depends if you are including hammered, in which case the only denomination that goes all the way back AFAIK is the penny! You'd need to decide how you wanted to proceed when silver pennies were switched from regular currency to Maundy, but it would be possible to get a complete run to the present day with time and money.

Im thinking about starting from QE II and going back.

As far as i could.

Actually doesnt have to be same denomination.

The problem is my coin budget at the moment is around £200-300 a month.

Im thinking about starting from QE II and going back.

As far as i could.

Actually doesnt have to be same denomination.

The problem is my coin budget at the moment is around £200-300 a month.

£2k-£3k per year is a great budget to build a superb collection in my book, as long as you are patient and don't want to complete it next week! I wouldn't necessarily start with Liz II and work backwards, you might miss an opportunity!

I would start with making a list of the monarchs, dates and denominations you are targetting, and then see what's available from reputable dealers (there are plenty of VERY good ones on here, to start with, and see what Chris (the Forum owner) has in here. With reputable dealers there is no commission and (normally) a no quibble guarantee (you can return the coin for a full refund (normally less postage) if you change your mind).

Take a good long look before you take the plunge, as changing your mind about denominations, grades, eye appeal, degree of toning, etc., could prove costly!

Keep us posted, and ask for as much advice as you want ... there are many experts on here with far more knowledge than me, your focus really appeals to me to be honest, and keeping the focus will be one of the challenges!! ;)

It depends how flexible you want to be. For example if you included shillings you could add variety with gun money (James II), shilling tokens (George III), and colonial issues (Windsors). The only denomination that isn't continuous in milled coinage (apart from oddities like fractionals) is the florin. And if you include British colonies you can have a coin of Edward VIII too!

I wouldn't necessarily start with Liz II and work backwards, you might miss an opportunity!

Agreed. If you start with the cheaper more recent stuff there's a risk prices will rise as you progress backwards. As Paul says, if you have a 'wants' list and stick to it you have the chance to pick up pieces as you go.

Edited by TomGoodheart

That sounds like fun, Goom, wish I could join you!

To get the very best out the experience, my advice would be to use it as a numismatic education too. Namely, rather than rushing out and buying lots of coins in an excited frenzy, leaving you with a backlog of coins you can barely get a chance to catalogue properly; I'd instead pick my coin (example: say George III Halfcrown) and put the 'proper' legwork into it and learn about the mint, check out the past sales for references, see what counterfeits are around, track down some interesting articles from the BNJ, get some academic understanding about it first etc. etc.

It would be so exciting to approach the whole project historically, at least that would be my approach! :)

Denomination? I'd probably not tie myself to that but, instead, would go for what I found attractive. You can at least then navigate around some of the more popular denominations in expensive reigns!

Enjoy! Lucky you!

I'm glad people are coming around to my way of thinking. :) :) :) :) It's very rewarding.

I'm glad people are coming around to my way of thinking. :) :) :) :) It's very rewarding.

You have been my biggest influence Rob! I recommend you and your views to all newbies :)

You have been my biggest influence Rob! I recommend you and your views to all newbies :)

It can get out of hand though :ph34r:

At the moment, I have the following numbers of boxes to tick.

People in whose name or under whose authority a coin was struck - 251

Denominations, either circulating or in pattern form, used or struck in this country - 130

Attributed designers - 173

Mint locations - 152

Privy or mint marks including overmarks - 327

Errors - 21

Metals/Alloys used - 50

Metal provenances - 11

Minting processes - 8

Misc features - 45

Type examples or too nice to sell - As many as I want :)

The list could never be completed, is regularly extended and the diversity means there is always something to go for. Combine that with an attempt not to replicate designs and it is quite difficult - and fun. :)

Edited by Rob

It can get out of hand though :ph34r:

At the moment, I have the following numbers of boxes to tick.

People in whose name or under whose authority a coin was struck - 251

Denominations, either circulating or in pattern form, used or struck in this country - 130

Attributed designers - 173

Mint locations - 152

Privy or mint marks including overmarks - 327

Errors - 21

Metals/Alloys used - 50

Metal provenances - 11

Minting processes - 8

Misc features - 45

Type examples or too nice to sell - As many as I want :)

The list could never be completed, is regularly extended and the diversity means there is always something to go for. Combine that with an attempt not to replicate designs and it is quite difficult - and fun. :)

Totally off your rocker! I will get to shake your hand one day! :)

I would start with making a list of the monarchs, dates and denominations you are targetting, and then see what's available from reputable dealers (there are plenty of VERY good ones on here, to start with, and see what Chris (the Forum owner) has in here. With reputable dealers there is no commission and (normally) a no quibble guarantee (you can return the coin for a full refund (normally less postage) if you change your mind).

Take a good long look before you take the plunge, as changing your mind about denominations, grades, eye appeal, degree of toning, etc., could prove costly!

And thats exactly where i need your help guys.

I spend 2-3 hours a day looking for coins/checking forum etc. but my hand on experience is very little.

I know what to buy back to KGIII but beyond that i know nothing.

Ive never bought any hammered coins and i only have one early milled:)

Buy some books

For hammered a nice little easy reading book...England's striking history.£7 or £8

Get a 2nd hand copy of Coincrafts 2000 book (1997 is OK) £10? plus loads of postage :)

I trust you have Spink.

Look at forums.

Copper/bronze collections are available to view on Colin Cookes site.

I like Wildwinds.com (When I can dream a little)

Narrow your sights.Rome wasn't built in a day.

Find a series that is in your budget and interests you.

Knowledge is the key.

Keep good records / reference everything.

It is so easy to get a back load.

Research and treat yourself occasionally for that dream coin. :)

And thats exactly where i need your help guys.

I spend 2-3 hours a day looking for coins/checking forum etc. but my hand on experience is very little.

I know what to buy back to KGIII but beyond that i know nothing.

Ive never bought any hammered coins and i only have one early milled:)

I am now - as a type collector - finding that prices for early milled in decent grades are spiralling out of my reach. HOWEVER.. I've discovered there is a major way to 'cheat'. Unlike from late George III onwards, there was a great uniformity of design : Britannia appears on all base metal coins from Charles II to George III (first series) and there are only really two designs - early and late. One of each might suit you. Likewise with silver - the reverses are very limited in number from crown down to sixpence, and it's all a question of 'roses and plumes' or plain by and large, with honourable exceptions for SSC shillings and one or two others. So if you limited your ambitions to reverse DESIGNS, only a relatively small number of coins would tick all boxes from 1662 to 1775.

Right,

ive decided ill start from Tudors from Henry VII.

I narrowed it a little as Peter advised.

Why from Tudors? I always wanted Henry VIII coin so starting from there makes sense IMHO.

Im planning to spend £150-250 per coin per each king.

Im working on exact coin list (well thinking about it:) from Henry VII to William IV so any comments/ideas/help/guidance welcome.

Edited by goomolique

£150-250 per coin per each "KING"

Ahem!

Good choice, though, loads to learn, can I recommend BCW's book for the Elizabeth reign, it's unsurpassed! :)

Edit: don't forget Mary, there are quite a good percentage of historically competent ladies sharing in the Tudor period! ;)

Edited by Coinery

George VI might be a problem. There's no 'Goldilocks' coin at that value. A quality 1946 or 1949 threepence would be over this as would the gold or proofs. Most of the rest are cheap as chips, but I would however consider selling anything with a value of £10 for £150-250 if you are desperate. ;):)

With the best will in the world, you will struggle to spend too much on the later monarchs, so why not set a target for the total spend? That way you can get a better example of the rarer ones.

Edited by Rob

George VI might be a problem. There's no 'Goldilocks' coin at that value. A quality 1946 or 1949 threepence would be over this as would the gold or proofs. Most of the rest are cheap as chips, but I would however consider selling anything with a value of £10 for £150-250 if you are desperate. ;):)

Ive got Vicky - Elizabeth II covered.

Need Henry VII - William IV.

What i meant by £150-250 is my maximum i can spend per coin.

Right,

ive decided ill start from Tudors from Henry VII.

I narrowed it a little as Peter advised.

Why from Tudors? I always wanted Henry VIII coin so starting from there makes sense IMHO.

Im planning to spend £150-250 per coin per each king.

Im working on exact coin list (well thinking about it:) from Henry VII to William IV so any comments/ideas/help/guidance welcome.

Hint. Some of the reigns are prolific, others have a few cheap options and an awful lot of expensive ones. Sort out the latter first and use the common ones to diversify.

Mary, Philip and Mary, Cromwell, and James II will be the most expensive to fill. A Mary groat is about the cheapest option, and you don't get a lot for £250. Philip and Mary you can do with a base penny. £200 would buy a nice one. Cromwell will break the bank unless you economise elsewhere, and there isn't really much in the way of cheap J2 apart from maundy.

Buy some books

For hammered a nice little easy reading book...England's striking history.£7 or £8

Get a 2nd hand copy of Coincrafts 2000 book (1997 is OK) £10? plus loads of postage :)

I trust you have Spink.

Look at forums.

Ok,

got Englands striking history and Coincraft 2000

What other forums do you recommend?

Im planning to get a Henry VII coin first to start my series.

Will do my research and ask for opinion.

Buy some books

I trust you have Spink.

Look at forums.

Ok,

Sly, mean, suspicious, underhanded, paranoid... are you sure you don't want to start somewhere else? :D

Buy some books

I trust you have Spink.

Look at forums.

Ok,

Sly, mean, suspicious, underhanded, paranoid... are you sure you don't want to start somewhere else? :D

I will check those Forums out Peck, must admit I had never heard of them before now!

You could start with Mary and work backwards and forwards, she was quite sweet ...

Buy some books

I trust you have Spink.

Look at forums.

Ok,

I will check those Forums out Peck, must admit I had never heard of them before now!

You could start with Mary and work backwards and forwards, she was quite sweet ...

Yeah, if you leave the tomato juice out :lol: