British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

Veil Head Date Widths Again

Sorry to bore those that don't like date variations

1897 high tide : -

1897ht.jpg

Gouby gives just one type - his BP 1897 C (V+x) 7 pointing to a bead - upper photo shows 7 pointing to a space, minimal I grant, but a definite difference in date width

Given the scarcity of this obverse there may be other unspotted variations out there

Edited by davidrj

We ALL love 'em, just haven't the capacity to study everything! :)

This forum wouldn't be the forum it is, if we couldn't read about something new!

I personally love the variety 'diggin' in' even if I'm lost! :)

I never bore of this type of post.

I have to keep lists of things to do (work,domestic and pleasure)

Checking my coins falls into the latter. :)

Hers is my 1987 its uin 17141 not only is the date spacing odd but the reverse is about 20 degrees of :unsure:

post-7416-0-26188900-1382992042_thumb.jp

Hers is my 1987 its uin 17141 not only is the date spacing odd but the reverse is about 20 degrees of :unsure:

attachicon.gif1897 narrowa.jpg

Interesting coin Pies, "Ex Dr. A Findlow Hall of Fame Pennies" - blimey!

For me I always think it has to be easily distinguishable. You have to be able to pick up an example and be able to classify it easily into one of the two varieties. I just don't see anything in that picture that I would consider significant enough to be recordable (if on a farthing) , I think you can get some difference in digit thickness and difference in strike that can lead to some minimal differences across coins.

Sorry to bore those that don't like date variations

1897 high tide : -

1897ht.jpg

Gouby gives just one type - his BP 1897 C (V+x) 7 pointing to a bead - upper photo shows 7 pointing to a space, minimal I grant, but a definite difference in date width

Given the scarcity of this obverse there may be other unspotted variations out there

Both 7s point to a tooth, unless my eyesight is WAY out. And don't ignore that dink in the edge right next to it.

Thats what i'm seeing to Peck, the old eyesight is a bit dodgy granted, but those 2 coins are pointing to beads. Nice coin pies, i won't mention the............ :ph34r:

Thats what i'm seeing to Peck, the old eyesight is a bit dodgy granted, but those 2 coins are pointing to beads. Nice coin pies, i won't mention the............ :ph34r:

No, don't Dave, you might incriminate yourself!!!

In what way Paul?

In what way Paul?

Might be your f*****p***t! Joking of course!!

Both 7s point to a tooth, unless my eyesight is WAY out. And don't ignore that dink in the edge right next to it.

Peck, you are right

hp1897.jpg

bit of crud at foot of upper 7 and lower 7 slightly thinner down stroke ?worn die

Ah

Those were the days.

Coin news / coin yearbook please take note. :)

Ah

Those were the days.

Coin news / coin yearbook please take note. :)

They were indeed. I still have nightmares... :D