British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
MACKSILKY.

1853 Half Penny Possible Double Strike?

Hi guys just been looking at this 1853 half penny.All the letters in victoria look double struck.I'm just a newbie to this hobby but learning a great deal off you guys.Take a look at the images and please make a comment,by the way is this a standard 1853 or 1853/2,cheers lads. 396fc93c-15ac-4810-bde3-1300d9cb520b_zps 008_zpsc0d4f55e.png

I can't see any evidence of the overdate I'm afraid.

It's not unusual in this series to find double-cut letters either. Note: double cut, not double struck - this is something that is done to the die, not to the blank...

I can't see any evidence of the overdate I'm afraid.

It's not unusual in this series to find double-cut letters either. Note: double cut, not double struck - this is something that is done to the die, not to the blank...

I'd agree 100% with what Declan said. Doubling is extremely common on the Victorian copper series. But if it was double STRUCK, you'd see it also on Victoria's portrait.

It's a handsome series, so your interest in it will be well rewarded I'm sure. If you haven't already, try and get a GEF example or better, with lustre. 1853/54/55/58 are the most affordable.