British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

Coin Camera With Database

Do you know your banknotes, Peter?

A client of mine has a Somerset £50 with the serial A01.

Is that anything exciting?

Not really Declan

My 2004 Rotographic books Somerset A01 in AU £120.

The reference RB194 refers.

I started with 10/- notes after I was given/discovered a 1940 unopened wage packet.

It had 2 10/- notes.

I sought out more and also amassed £1 notes.

The rare ones are replacement type with a M prefix.

You get scammers in the note field with ironing being the main cheat.

(surprising there are not more female collectors :rolleyes: )

Maybe the rainbow coin boys might like to add notes to their collections.

Now where did I leave my florescent pens?

Thanks for checking anyway Peter - it's the same collector who amassed those sovereigns, so anything he collected automatically gets checked out now!

This is my set up and i still get rubbish pics :( .I move it to the natural light when taking a pic and i have a wireless remote.I have tried everything i can to get better pics.

post-7416-0-19337400-1383064828_thumb.jp

This is my set up and i still get rubbish pics :( .I move it to the natural light when taking a pic and i have a wireless remote.I have tried everything i can to get better pics.

IMG_1232.JPG

All I can say Pies is it's a big old pain in the arse!

I'm waiting on the arrival of some 18% grey sheet to start tinkering with my White Balance, as this is the key to professional pictures IMHO! It's certainly where my own photography is suffering!

All I can say Pies is it's a big old pain in the arse!

I'm waiting on the arrival of some 18% grey sheet to start tinkering with my White Balance, as this is the key to professional pictures IMHO! It's certainly where my own photography is suffering!

What makes it worse it my dad was a pro photographer for 10 years :(

Edited by pies

attachicon.gifIMG_1232.JPG

Nothing wrong with the equipment there. I suspect it's your light source. If "natural", is the camera casting a shadow?

Guess what arrived in the post today, that was quick. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Looking at it there's plenty of profit margin in it, won't be long before they are starting at 99p.

Guess what arrived in the post today, that was quick. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Looking at it there's plenty of profit margin in it, won't be long before they are starting at 99p.

Well it's a business card scanner made by Shixin. The best bit is it doesn't work. When I turn it on a prompt tells me that it has malfunctioned :(

Edited by Gary D

Apologies for that Gary, if it's any consolation, mine arrived today - looks cheap tatt :angry:

will have a play later

Apologies for that Gary, if it's any consolation, mine arrived today - looks cheap tatt :angry:

will have a play later

It would be good to know if yours works. I'm running XP and it comes up as an unknown device, digging deeper it says that it has malfunctioned and should be changed for a working unit.

Yes is does look cheap. The Shixin website suggests they should be about £28 so I guess we didn't pay too much over the top.

Test 1 (gloomy daylight)

31.png

Test 2 (gloomy daylight)

30.png

Edited by davidrj

test3 - a very darkly toned Thai 2 Att (built in LED)

29.png

Test 4

previous 3 cleaned up and composited

test.jpg

My opinion - very quick and easy to use so probably fine for listing some of my surplus crap duplicates on Ebay, sadly NOT good enough to catalogue my collection

Unfortunately those pictures are in the execrable Photofucket, so the same size as they are here :angry: Do you have any selected enlargements David? Those would prove whether this thing is any good or not.

Unfortunately those pictures are in the execrable Photofucket, so the same size as they are here :angry: Do you have any selected enlargements David? Those would prove whether this thing is any good or not.

crop from 1967 penny

testcu.jpg

crop from 1967 penny

testcu.jpg

Hmm. That's worse than my 150 dpi scans blown up in Photoshop! Well, certainly no better.

Mine has arrived.

Old faithful Acer should be back on the road later this week :) for a test run.

Looks fine for ripping Ebay listings and the less important coins in my collection (do I really need fantastic images of my George V1 1/4d's?)

Stamps,banknotes,ciggie cards and a (few images from my Jazz Mags :ph34r: ) I have high hopes for. :rolleyes:

For just over £40 delivered from HK I don't begrudge the seller.It can only be improved on. :)

I finally got mine working with my sons laptop which runs Vista. I guess it's a driver problem with my XP desk top.

I finally got mine working with my sons laptop which runs Vista. I guess it's a driver problem with my XP desk top.

try downloading a generic XP USB2.0 camera driver

This one looks interesting & more info

This one's 5MP, and looks sturdier than the one we've been discussing above

This one looks interesting & more info

This one's 5MP, and looks sturdier than the one we've been discussing above

That does look interesting, and there's a Mac version too. It says it's a document camera - I would hope it has enough depth of field for even the most raised or deep engraved coin design? (I'm especially thinking 1797 twopence here). One problem is that unlike one rival, it doesn't come with a built-in LED light.

Just found this thread while searching for the photography section.

I had read the excellent article Paulus had posted and walked into a camera shop only to find nothing with prices on apart from $20/week and stuff like that. Second camera shop and all the assistants were too busy (it was a Saturday morning).

Ended up giving in and found this camera on eBay. Thought WTF $60-00 US, give it a go.

Was going to write how crap it is and warn everyone but saw Davids photo's above, I can't get near that so must be doing something wrong.

Will go back and try again.

cheers

Garrett.

post-8124-0-66304500-1393623068_thumb.jp

Okay that's better, still not brilliant but better. I did have some of the config wrong.

Might try again later in natural light. Takes some maneuvering to get the lighting okay.....

cheers

Garrett.

post-8124-0-37638000-1393625600_thumb.jp

I got far better results with daylight, the built in lamp is shite inadequate

Thanks David

More experimentation is required, perhaps a few beers later on and I will get creative.

This was my effort just now in natural light. Direct sunlight was abhorrent, this was in the shade. Maybe I could try some tin foil to reflect the light....

Anyway, it's been fun, and will do me for now.

cheers and thanks

Garrett.

post-8124-0-99696800-1393628382_thumb.jp