British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
davidrj

Coin Camera With Database

spotted this on Ebay

"Coin - Stamp Camera - Photograph & Catalog with Coin & Stamp Databases Included"

Interesting that one David. From Hong Kong i see, so taxable also for import. Might be worth a punt

Might be worth a punt

Pity it's only a 3MP camera, I like to image at a higher resolution, but looks ideal for someone listing lots on Ebay

Database can be modified with Access - £109.99 on microsoft uk (nb $109.99 in US! :angry: )

Might be worth a punt

Pity it's only a 3MP camera, I like to image at a higher resolution, but looks ideal for someone listing lots on Ebay

Database can be modified with Access - £109.99 on microsoft uk (nb $109.99 in US! :angry: )

Access might be a hacked/cracked version if its coming from HK or China

It doesn't look too bad, but like David said I think it would be better with higher resolution. Also it doesn't mention windows 8 compatibility...

For £40 odd looks worth a punt.

The stamp pictures look good.(I have my fathers collection that could do with a bit of attention)

I also have my own banknote and cheque collections.

Maybe a bit of experimentation on the coin lighting though.

What is the problem with 3MB?

Do you know your banknotes, Peter?

A client of mine has a Somerset £50 with the serial A01.

Is that anything exciting?

looks like you need to crop a fairt bit, might be insufficient resolution for variety differentiation

Most mobile phones nowadays have more than 3MB, When photographing anything I personally would prefer the higher resolution. I do quite a bit of microscopic photography and with that I use a 20MB camera, obviously over what you need for a coin but somewhere around 10 would be the best for me.

At £40 though it Surely has to be worth a try.

At £40 though it Surely has to be worth a try.

Possibly, but surely you could quite easily get a hold of the software and create your own stand ect with a better camera ( again for £40 it could still be worth a try)

Most mobile phones nowadays have more than 3MB, When photographing anything I personally would prefer the higher resolution. I do quite a bit of microscopic photography and with that I use a 20MB camera, obviously over what you need for a coin but somewhere around 10 would be the best for me.

I use my Nikon SLR. At first I was photographing my coins hand-held. Now I have acquired a tripod for the Nikon and that makes the photo even better.

Edited by jaggy

What I like about that set-up is that it's direct to your PC. You can see what you are getting without all of the taking the photo with your camera then down loading and editing before you can see you need to try again.

My finger is poised.

Sod it...What is £40.

What I like about that set-up is that it's direct to your PC. You can see what you are getting without all of the taking the photo with your camera then down loading and editing before you can see you need to try again.

A further observation now that I've found the rest of the pictures, I think the lighting could do with some work to get rid of the glint on the coins.

A further observation now that I've found the rest of the pictures, I think the lighting could do with some work to get rid of the glint on the coins.

It's because of the LED lighting. I had similar issues when I tried to use an LED lighting ring in my coin photography setup. Looks like it would work well for stamps though.

Edited by Nick

Well I've ordered one.The lighting will need a bit of work.It does look window cill friendly though for natural light plus I have a selection

of twisty/magnetic LEDS.ETC

Any varieties that require close ups can be taken with a manual set up/micro scope.

Well I've ordered one.The lighting will need a bit of work.It does look window cill friendly though for natural light plus I have a selection

Any varieties that require close ups can be taken with a manual set up/micro scope.

Good man Peter. I Shall await your evaluation. Out of curiosity, could the camera from this ebay one not be removed and add your own for those who wanted a higher res picture?

If you have an old webcam check to see if the lens is glued in or screwed in.If it's screwed in, take it out, turn it round and screw back in.

Voilà! Instant microscope.

If it's glued in, then you have to open the camera case and be creative. But the principle remains the same, turn the lens round.

I order one as well, perhap it will be possible to defuse the leds somehow.

Well Gary there may well be a couple of these being sold on the Suffolk car boot scene in the near future. ;)

I think with other peoples input these could be a winner.

Diffusers,background,lighting position etc

Copper coins maybe suitable,especially light chocolate coloured beauties.

Well Gary there may well be a couple of these being sold on the Suffolk car boot scene in the near future. ;)

Unfortunately the software is only written for Windoze :angry:

Unfortunately the software is only written for Windoze :angry:

That's ok as some of us only have old computerzzzzzzzzz