British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

If Peter and I get bumped off Coin Community Forum it's all my fault!

I couldn't resist chipping in on the subject of *coughnaturallycough* toned coins again!

:lol:

Looking forward to what 'Met' comes back with next, "anti-American racists" indeed!! :o

It would appear that he is a sensitive soul :ph34r:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=158370

Blinkin' 'eck, puts Dave's dinner plates to shame...they're still downloading even.......................................................................now! :wacko:

Blimey! Even with a download speed approaching 100mbps that took a while! :blink:

I've now read the entirety of that thread over on CC. Some absurd comments being left about 'racists' and 'free speech'. As jaggy says, clearly a sensitive soul...

Looks like Met has posted a total 'I was wrong' apology, which is great! Watching to see the reaction from the American community (as it does look like Met might be British!) :)

Looks like Met has posted a total 'I was wrong' apology, which is great! Watching to see the reaction from the American community (as it does look like Met might be British!) :)

You'll probably not get a reaction from the American community because they won't hear that coins can be AT due to the fact they pay well over the odds for those coins and they would'nt want to look completely fools by being fooled and wasting so much cash in the process.

This toning thing was started by Americans who are largely into marketing and pyramid crap type deals, Tell 1 poor sould that your coin is worth $$$$s more because of a bit of colour then spreads by Word of mouth and the. Everyone wants a piece of the action, prices rose for Common coins and booooooom you have a whole new collecting area where you "MUST HAVE" that Rainbow coloured coin.

Someone somewhere posted (coincommunity) i think it was, then directed here that a guy went to an NGC Seminar and was told a coin was AT toned if it did'nt follow the spectrum of the rainbow, yet an NGC graded coin Popped up toned and not in sequence of the rainbow, so there you see how stupid its all bekomme for them, ignoring their OWN apparent facts. Its like them telling us area51 does'nt exist even when the Population of planet earth knew it did, yet they Kept telling the American public that it did'nt and the majority believed them lol

Edited by azda

You'll probably not get a reaction from the American community because they won't hear that coins can be AT due to the fact they pay well over the odds for those coins and they would'nt want to look completely fools by being fooled and wasting so much cash in the process.

This toning thing was started by Americans who are largely into marketing and pyramid crap type deals, Tell 1 poor sould that your coin is worth $$$$s more because of a bit of colour then spreads by Word of mouth and the. Everyone wants a piece of the action, prices rose for Common coins and booooooom you have a whole new collecting area where you "MUST HAVE" that Rainbow coloured coin.

Someone somewhere posted (coincommunity) i think it was, then directed here that a guy went to an NGC Seminar and was told a coin was AT toned if it did'nt follow the spectrum of the rainbow, yet an NGC graded coin Popped up toned and not in sequence of the rainbow, so there you see how stupid its all bekomme for them, ignoring their OWN apparent facts. Its like them telling us area51 does'nt exist even when the Population of planet earth knew it did, yet they Kept telling the American public that it did'nt and the majority believed them lol

That's an awfully large axe you have there to grind. :unsure:

1795_Suffolk_Hoxne_DH33D_NGC_MS65RB_obv_

1795_Suffolk_Hoxne_DH33D_NGC_MS65RB_rev_

That's an awfully large axe you have there to grind. :unsure:

And that's an awfully nice token you have there. :)

Not strictly a "British coin", and it's "post-decimal" on this side of the pond, but it bears G5, so I'll post anyway. I found the toning on this copper to be quite pleasing.

1919_Canada_Cent_PCGS_MS65BN_obv_zps73b2

1919_Canada_Cent_PCGS_MS65BN_rev_zpsf583

Not strictly a "British coin", and it's "post-decimal" on this side of the pond, but it bears G5, so I'll post anyway. I found the toning on this copper to be quite pleasing.

1919_Canada_Cent_PCGS_MS65BN_obv_zps73b2

1919_Canada_Cent_PCGS_MS65BN_rev_zpsf583

Eight pearls and a full sharp diamond...beautiful example!

Like it a lot! Any and all examples of toned coins are welcome in this thread as far as I am concerned Bob!

I like the toning on this E7 (a reckless recent £4 eBay purchase):

1902_HF_FA_Sellers_1000x500_zps7624d301.

Edited by Paulus

Any and all examples of toned coins are welcome in this thread as far as I am concerned Bob!

That I like! :rolleyes:

Like it a lot! Any and all examples of toned coins are welcome in this thread as far as I am concerned Bob!

What have you done :o only another 12 to get now to complete the set :D

http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk/Lauer%20Model%20Farthings.html

A very nice example by the way!!

Edited by Colin G.

Thanks Colin, a genuine eBay bargain as far as I'm concerned! 9 + G, Rogers 877?

Thanks Colin, a genuine eBay bargain as far as I'm concerned! 9 + G, Rogers 877?

Spot on!!

I know this isn't an example of this, but some of the commonwealth coins (not Cromwell) are an absolute bag, and a satisfying buying strategy for a financially struggling coiney! :D

Nothing iridescent or wild, but some lovely toned surfaces on this red/brown copper token. This is my favorite 18th Century Provincial (Conder) token in my collection. The surfaces are immaculate, booming with luster, and nary a tic to be found. While the Druid design isn't the most exciting theme for these tokens, no collection should be without at least one example of the type -- afterall, it was the "first" design of many hundreds to appear during the period. I always love when pieces like this come with their old auction tickets... :)

1788_Anglesey_DH275_Halfpenny_McKivor_Ex

Nothing iridescent or wild, but some lovely toned surfaces on this red/brown copper token. This is my favorite 18th Century Provincial (Conder) token in my collection. The surfaces are immaculate, booming with luster, and nary a tic to be found. While the Druid design isn't the most exciting theme for these tokens, no collection should be without at least one example of the type -- afterall, it was the "first" design of many hundreds to appear during the period. I always love when pieces like this come with their old auction tickets... :)

As far as I am concerned, that would be a complete pride and joy to own, very, very nice brg!!!! :)B)

Absolutely gorgeous, and beautifully presented too, a piece of art, you have a very good eye!

Phwoar, that is good! :D

Absolutely beautiful - no wonder you supplied the picture of it to illustrate the Wikipedia article on Conder tokens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conder_token

Don't get me wrong.That is beautiful. :)

The finger prints though....AAAAARGGGGG :o

Don't get me wrong.That is beautiful. :)

The finger prints though....AAAAARGGGGG :o

Those are not finger prints. They are textile pattern areas, consistent with the method of storage. Many of the old copper pieces in the US have been stored for decades in small cloth bags, keeping them away from moisture and the elements. It is a very common practice among the Early American Coppers (EAC) collectors, and the bags I use are supplied by Rod Burress. IF they were fingerprints then 1) they could go up over the devices, and 2) they would actually look like fingerprints, instead of small parallel dots of toning.